• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is Your Birthstone?

Nicole

luke is my wife
Hello, everyone. A recent conversation earlier today made me think of this: What is your birthstone? For those of you who don't know, a birthstone is a gem or mineral associated with the month of your birth. For example, I was born in October. The birthstone for October is generally Opal. There are other variations and options, too. I thought I've heard another option for October is Blue Topaz, but I don't remember it too well.

Here is a list of the most traditional birthstones by month:

January - Garnet
February - Amethyst
March - Aquamarine
April - Diamond
May - Emerald
June - Pearl, Alexandrite, and Moonstone
July - Ruby
August - Peridot
September - Sapphire
October - Tourmaline and Opal (I was close. :P)
November - Topaz and Citrine
December - Tanzanite, Zircon, and Turquoise

So what is your birthstone? Have you heard about any other stones associated with months not listed here? Chat about it!

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I'm a June, and while I've known about all three of the June birthstones for a while, Pearls have always been my birthstone. Smooth, creamy, and made by mollusks, I mean, I find that absolutely amazing that they are made by animals. I got a pearl pendant necklace on my golden birthday, it was the best present ever.

I do love Alexandrites and Moonstones though, since they are absolutely gorgeous and multicolored. They're just so much rarer than pearls so I didn't find out about them until a few years ago. I'd love to have some moonstone jewelry though, those look absolutely awesome, and I love any jewel that can create a cat eye effect.

Djinn

and Tonic
February so mine is an Amethyst. Fortunately they are not nearly as expensive as a diamond so I could actually afford to have a few of them. I have always liked them to have that original crystal point look over the tumbled little purple river rock so many places like to sell. Seems odd to me that something that is already shiny and cut to be shaped like that.

I have also gotten my hands on a couple geodes to break open for the amethysts inside, it is pretty fun to do. Unfortunately the really good points are only found in the two to three foot tall gigantic geodes. But I have been able to pick a point or two out of one before.

Ikana

Trollkastel
I was born in November so my birthstone is Topaz and Citrine. I never knew that Citrine was a November birthstone, I only thought it was Topaz.

I'm June so I have three birthstones, technically. It's usually more recognized as pearl, and some of the birthstone-related pins that I used to get when I was younger had that listed as what it was, but never had anything that looked like a peal in it. Instead, it looked more like some kind of rose quartz. I don't know why that was decided as the replacement, but it was.

And then there's Moonstone, which looks kind of like a pearl. I don't know that much about it, but I think it is in the same gem family as opal, but I could easily be wrong.

My favorite of my three birthstones is most-definitely Alexandrite. I've always been into studying rocks, minerals, gemstones and fossils--the first thing to actually get me to love science at a young age. ;j One of the most interesting things I've read about a gemstone, is that alexandrite changes color in certain lighting. If I recall, the color appears to change from reddish to a green color. I think it has something to do with the way certain light reflects the color, but I'm not too sure. I would love to have a birthstone pin with alexandrite on it. :3

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
August is my Birthday, I have the peridot. It's nice I suppose but was never actually my favorite.

Oh wait...it's green. On second thought I take that back. I can't not like it...Green is the color of heroes :)

Elvenknight

HyrulianBlackcat
If I recall, the color appears to change from reddish to a green color. I think it has something to do with the way certain light reflects the color, but I'm not too sure.

My mom has a mother's ring with a true alexadrite on it. It is green in artificial light and purple in real light. I don't remember what my grandpa said makes it change color. Know what's funny? My brother's name is Alex.

Last edited:

i-am-link

DGN's Metaphysicist
My birthstone is the Sapphire. It really is a beautiful stone, not to mention its applications for you Pagans out there (I've read about Pagan practices, they're really quite interesting. I'm not saying I am a Pagan. No offense to those who are.)

SheikahSoul

Decadence
Well, since I was born in February then my birthstone must be Amethyst. Other, the only thing I know about the month's things are the zodiacs/starsigns, and with that I'm also an Aquarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom