• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is the Correct Way to Pronounce 'Skulltula'?

L

leavy101

Recently I was talking to a friend about enemy design in SS; I mentioned I liked the way Skulltulas looked. I pronounced it with a 't' sound, like it is spelled. He looked at me like I was an idiot and told me it was pronounced 'skullchula'. His reasoning was: the name is a portmanteau of skull and tarantula, therefore it should pronounced 'Skullchula'. It makes sense but I have never heard it pronounced that way before. What is the proper way of pronouncing the name of this enemy?

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
My advice for trying to say Skulltula is dont try. I have heard tons of diffrent ways. You will have to talk to a person from Japan to tell you.

Skulltula is right in my opinion. But like anything that involves language and dialect it's going to differ from everyone. The T in tarantula over time probably was degraded to a ch due to laziness to pronounce the hard t sound. I can easily say either the t sound or ch sound in tarantula and you'll hardly notice a difference but both'll sound right.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Skuhl-tuhla or Skuhl-toola. Whichever you prefer; I like the first better, though.

Hero of…. #s, I guess
I agree with the argument that the name is a combination of Skull and Tarantula, and is tarantula is conventionally pronounced "cha-ran-chu-la," I would say that similarly Skulltula should be pronounced "skul-chu-la."

However, tarantula may be improperly pronounced in conventional speech (I don't know if it is or not), in which case, if the correct pronunciation based on etymology of tarantula is "tuh-ran-too-la," then it follows that it should be "skul-too-la."

So I decided to look it up. Actually, the correct pronunciation of tarantula according to Merriam-Webster is "tuh-ran-chu-la." So, by combining that with "skull," we determine that Skulltula is correctly pronounced "skul-chu-la."

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I used to say it with the "t" pronunciation, but then I heard someone pronounce it like it is in the word "tarantula". I've said it that way ever since because it makes the most sense. I mean, it's a spider with a skull carapace, so pronouncing it like "tarantula" is really what should be accepted.

Tarantula = ta-RAN-chu-la, ergo Skulltula = SKULL-chu-la.

I used to say/think: skull-TU-la until I heard someone say it the right way and then realized how much more sense that makes.

I've always pronounced it as: skəl·to͝ol·ä′

Um, for those of you who aren't familiar with the symbols for pronunciation, it would sound something like: skahl·tuhll·AH. I've been known to mispronounce things before, but it's hard for me to change my pronunciations after such a long time of using them. But I never really gave pronouncing skulltula much thought.

What was really odd, was that when I was little, I always pronounced "Kakariko" as "clark·i·lo" because I used to misread it. It was an easy fix, but I've come to the conclusion that I might be a bit dyslexic. ;/ Kakariko, clearly does not have any L's in it, yet... I saw them in the word.

S

Sunset Blue

I've always said "skull-TOO-luh", but... the tarantula reference seems pretty solid ): I've just always said it that way since I was a kid and never bothered to correct myself.

I pronounce it SKULL-TOOL-UH.

Trying to find a "correct" pronounciation of a fictional word is useless unless you're going to talk to the guy who invented the word. And it being based on tarantula doesn't really confirm the correct pronounciation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom