• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is Darksiders?

C

CWP

I also hear a lot of people saying that zelda fans would like it because it has a sort of dungeon style. beyond that i know nothing. what is the fighting style? can you z/l target? swords, guns?

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
The first Darksiders has a lot of sweet elements from a lot of big name games, while still having its own distinct personality. It is very loosely based off the Book of Revelation in the Bible. Very loose, as other than the premise, it has nothing to do with the Bible.

You play as War, one of the Four Horsemen. Without giving too much away... the basic story is that War appeared during the Apocalypse, but he was not supposed to, as certain events that were suppose to happen, never did happen. Hell was victorious over Heaven during the Apocalypse. There is a central power, different from Hell and Heaven called the Charred Council and they blame War for the tilting of balance in favor of Hell. You play as War, returning to Earth and you are trying to clear your name.

It might sound complicated, but it's actually quite indepth. After playing it and then rewatching the cut-scenes so many times over, I've really come to appreciate the story and think it is one of the most exciting stories in any video game series.

The actual gameplay plays a lot like God of War. It's considered a Hack n' Slash. You have a massive sword, along with a Scythe as your two main weapons. You do get 'Zelda-like' enemies that are very similar to the Boomerang and Hookshot. It has a deep combat system with lots of different moves, combos, and an assortment of enemies. However, it's not just an action game, as it has a lot of puzzles. The puzzles are more... Zelda-like. Moving statues to reflect a beam of light, moving things around the room to push down switches, using objects in a room to reach certain platforms, etc... There is a lot of puzzle solving and it's a lot of fun.

The dungeons are very Zelda-like. Lots of rooms, a dungeon item, then use the dungeon item to solve puzzles in the dungeon, use dungeon item against mini-boss, reach dungeon boss, and then beat dungeon boss with the dungeon item... It's the exact Zelda dungeon formula. This is just the beginning of the comparisons as there is so much in there.

Bottomline... think God of War, Zelda, with a awesome, yet somewhat complicated storyline, but with lots of fun gameplay.

The first Darksiders has a lot of sweet elements from a lot of big name games, while still having its own distinct personality. It is very loosely based off the Book of Revelation in the Bible. Very loose, as other than the premise, it has nothing to do with the Bible.

You play as War, one of the Four Horsemen. Without giving too much away... the basic story is that War appeared during the Apocalypse, but he was not supposed to, as certain events that were suppose to happen, never did happen. Hell was victorious over Heaven during the Apocalypse. There is a central power, different from Hell and Heaven called the Charred Council and they blame War for the tilting of balance in favor of Hell. You play as War, returning to Earth and you are trying to clear your name.

It might sound complicated, but it's actually quite indepth. After playing it and then rewatching the cut-scenes so many times over, I've really come to appreciate the story and think it is one of the most exciting stories in any video game series.

The actual gameplay plays a lot like God of War. It's considered a Hack n' Slash. You have a massive sword, along with a Scythe as your two main weapons. You do get 'Zelda-like' enemies that are very similar to the Boomerang and Hookshot. It has a deep combat system with lots of different moves, combos, and an assortment of enemies. However, it's not just an action game, as it has a lot of puzzles. The puzzles are more... Zelda-like. Moving statues to reflect a beam of light, moving things around the room to push down switches, using objects in a room to reach certain platforms, etc... There is a lot of puzzle solving and it's a lot of fun.

The dungeons are very Zelda-like. Lots of rooms, a dungeon item, then use the dungeon item to solve puzzles in the dungeon, use dungeon item against mini-boss, reach dungeon boss, and then beat dungeon boss with the dungeon item... It's the exact Zelda dungeon formula. This is just the beginning of the comparisons as there is so much in there.

Bottomline... think God of War, Zelda, with a awesome, yet somewhat complicated storyline, but with lots of fun gameplay.

I'm sold, I'm definitely picking this up from the Xbox 360 Classics range (I think it's in that range now) as it seems to only be around £10 now. It looks like a lot of fun and your description has basically just sealed the deal, one question... Is there much DLC?

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
For the original Darksiders, there was no downloadable content. However, it has been confirmed to be a part of Darksiders II.

See I can never decide if DLC is good or not. I like the idea that if I buy a game, I buy the whole game. However, I also like the thought of if I buy a game, complete it and still want to play more then I can pay an extra £5 and play another hour or so.

I may consider getting this at some point, it seems really interesting
Do you think you would have to play the original to understand the second one (when it gets released) or is it too early to tell?

It's a game worth getting... After watching Mases play it on TwitchTV. XD

Do you think you would have to play the original to understand the second one (when it gets released) or is it too early to tell?
Most likely ^

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I may consider getting this at some point, it seems really interesting

The developers have explicitly said that you would not need to have played the first one to understand the second one... However, there will be several things in the game that 'click', and gamers will be able to make the connection to the first game. There are also some characters that appear in both part I and part II.

The game does happen parallel to part I, so the order of events will have some connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom