• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What if Zelda U had no magic meter at all?

What if Zelda U had no magic meter at all?

A simple question. Would you buy it or would you not be happy and want a magic meter?
My opinion on the subject is well known. And this opinion being, that a magic meter is just an artificial way to limit the use of an otherwise overpowered item so it's power can not be abused in the game. That makes my answer to the above question pretty obvious, I'm against it.

But what do you feel about this? Do you want a magic meter in Zelda WiiU? And if so why? What do you feel it can bring tot he game that only a magic meter can bring?

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I don't care either way. It would allow for magical attacks and ablities. However they are not requiered to be a good game.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
When they showed off Zelda Wii U in a demo recently, you could clearly see what looks to be magic metre below Link's hearts. Could be a stamina metre though.

Zelda-Wii-U-2.jpg

HeroofScotland

The Anti-Social Kid
I don't see why the absence of a magic meter would diminish the game's quality to some people.
In my opinion, no, I don't want the magic meter back. It limits certain items for me. Usually I won't be using any items that consume magic if they aren't required to proceed because, well, they consume precious magic!
However, if the magic meter did return, having it refill automatically like in ALBW would make me like it a bit more.

HeroofScotland

The Anti-Social Kid
When they showed off Zelda Wii U in a demo recently, you could clearly see what looks to be magic metre below Link's hearts. Could be a stamina metre though.

Zelda-Wii-U-2.jpg
That could just be a meter showing your shield's durability or anything else that has ever been represented by a meter in a Zelda game.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
And you can prove to me that, what you have shown is 100% final and will be in the released game?
I never said I could prove it, more so giving information on what looks to be a magic metre in a recent demo of the game. It could be omitted upon final release, but considering this is less than a year from the actual release, I'd wager magic is returning. Unless of course this is a stamina metre, but I doubt that.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
That could just be a meter showing your shield's durability or anything else that has ever been represented by a meter in a Zelda game.
It could be, I never stated otherwise. However, we can't ignore the similarities here. The metre is exactly how previous magic metres have appeared. Magic is usually associated with green, the shields were indicated by a different colour.

Also considering the bow Link is seen with holds what seems to be magical properties, I'd wager the two are closely linked.

I am indifferent with this, while having a magic metre certainly limits magical gameplay, it would also be just as easy to not make the moves OP at all. I think the meter is most likely a stamina meter though.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I hate the magic meter. It's not like it's ever been difficult to find magic meter refills so I don't even understand its purpose. It's just annoying.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
What if Zelda U had no magic meter at all?

A simple question. Would you buy it or would you not be happy and want a magic meter?
My opinion on the subject is well known. And this opinion being, that a magic meter is just an artificial way to limit the use of an otherwise overpowered item so it's power can not be abused in the game. That makes my answer to the above question pretty obvious, I'm against it.

But what do you feel about this? Do you want a magic meter in Zelda WiiU? And if so why? What do you feel it can bring tot he game that only a magic meter can bring?
There shouldn't be a magic meter. Magic should be unlimited and be an important part of the game.
And they sure as hell had better scrap that ridiculous stamina meter from SS. link the great hero does not tire!

Salem

SICK
To be honest, I would't have cared about either way, actually why don't they just let you use magic items without a limit? I mean most of the time, there is no need to use limit it, for example the lens of truth, I don't think it was necessary.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Wouldn't magic, if it was unlimited, make it incredibly overpowered? The metre acts as a limiter, much like ammo does. If you had unlimited magic then it would be almost like having unlimited ammunition. Skyrim handled it well, just have it regenerate and upgrades will determine the speed of regeneration.

Wouldn't magic, if it was unlimited, make it incredibly overpowered? The metre acts as a limiter, much like ammo does. If you had unlimited magic then it would be almost like having unlimited ammunition. Skyrim handled it well, just have it regenerate and upgrades will determine the speed of regeneration.
Actually no. Because the items would be balanced in light of this lack of a magic meter so they would not be over powered. In saying that, having the items get better because you can use them more later on (due to magic regen improvements as in skyrim) does not seem like a bad idea at all actually.

I can agree with this and I have a comparison example to share. Diablo 1. Had mana but zero mana regen outside mana potions. It made using the sorcerer so hard early on. Constantly running out of magic and having to scrounge up the few little gold you had for mana potions. And it never got better, always chain chugging mana potions. But in Diablo 2, with passive mana regen it started out hard and slow but later on in the game when the regen got better and better you could pump out the spells you could hardly use early on. I reckon Zelda WiiU could go this way. Have no magic potions at all, only magic regen. And the regen rate improved over the course of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom