• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What If Nintendo Stopped Making Zelda?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This question has been asked in the past, and back then I gave some really...vehement...answers in response. However, now that I see the modern Zelda series for what it is, I would like to reform my opinion of this question's very essence.

What if indeed the big N stopped making Zelda? A while ago I might've said "the Earth would implode on itself and we would be overruled by apocalypse". Nowadays, I have a resounding "meh" curdling in my vocal cords. I don't feel Nintendo even needs Zelda to survive anymore, as the series thus far has been diminished to a casual-based market instead of reaching out to core gamers everywhere. Dropping Zelda would hurt fans, but gaming as a whole wouldn't be affected whatsoever. Zelda doesn't innovate anymore; the days of '98 and '86 are simply over. Nintendo could replace Zelda with a new IP entirely and the gaming world wouldn't notice, because LoZ isn't the giant it once was. Grab at casuals, who cares! That's what modern Zelda is doing to this day (and you want proof? TWW's art style, PH and ST's art style combined with their method of play, and SS' method of play were all advertised to grab at more customers). So yeah, I myself would be unaffected if Zelda was no longer created by Nintendo.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I would be sad...rage for a week...and then I'd realize, Hey there's already a ****ton of great Zelda games. I can still play those. Besides, Zelda isn't the only good franchise out there. Yeah it might be my favorite, but there are plenty of good games to choose from.

Sure I'd like to see more Zelda games, but I don't like the direction that Nintendo has been taking the series. Hopefully the WiiU will correct my fears, but I doubt it.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Well....then Nintendo would lose a substantial amount of money and I would lose my favorite series. Everybody loses.

@Ventus

You seem to be ignoring the sad, but true fact that casual gamers outnumber core gamers at least 10 to 1. So who should you appeal to if you want the most happy people? Casuals. Who should you appeal to if you want to make the most money? Casuals. It sucks for us. It really does. But it's the fact of life. There's no incentive to appeal to core gamers because we're just too uncommon. Look at the Wii. It was obviously made with casuals in mind and they leaped at the sight of motion gaming. The most hardcore gamers are famously stereotyped for being lazy. It's obvious this isn't who Nintendo was catering to and this got them the most costumers.

Last edited:

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
Pretty much if Nintendo stopped making Zelda....Nintendo wouldn't be the same anymore. Zelda is a big part of Nintendo after Mario. It just wouldn't complete Nintendo without Zelda. I cherish Zelda so much, that I couldn't have ask for a better Zelda. There's no way Nintendo can stop making Zelda. If they do...well...I'll kill them:P

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You seem to be ignoring the sad, but true fact that casual gamers outnumber core gamers at least 10 to 1. So who should you appeal to if you want the most happy people? Casuals. Who should you appeal to if you want to make the most money? Casuals. It sucks for us. It really does. But it's the fact of life. There's no incentive to appeal to core gamers because we're just too uncommon. Look at the Wii. It was obviously made with casuals in mind and they leaped at the sight of motion gaming. The most hardcore gamers are famously stereotyped for being lazy. It's obvious this isn't who Nintendo was catering to and this got them the most costumers.

Nah, I noted this in my opening post with
I don't feel Nintendo even needs Zelda to survive anymore, as the series thus far has been diminished to a casual-based market instead of reaching out to core gamers everywhere.
Nintendo is appealing to the casual-market. I don't care for the numbers, this is just what Nintendo is doing with all of their IPs at the moment. So, if Zelda were to stop being produced, this wouldn't hurt Nintendo at all as Zelda isn't really a "core" series anymore. It's casual-integrated, as is Mario and the numerous other franchises Nintendo develops. And since it wouldn't hurt Nintendo, it wouldn't hurt me either.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I would cry, eat a lot of icecream, write a poem, listen to depressing music, realize how pathetic I am, eat more icecream, then go play Ocarina of Time. ;)

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Yeah. I can't say it would bother me too much. There's already tons of other Zeldas to replay. Zelda hasn't felt "new" in a long time- every game is good, don't get me wrong, but it's just not as exciting as it used to be.

caleb11roy

Hero of Rhyme
I feel without the story of saving the world against evil would not be so strongly believed in without Zelda! Thank you nintendo!

I seem to agree with Ventus and Furie. I LOVE Zelda do not get me wrong and it is fun.... but it is not as exciting as it used to be. If they were to just drop it right now on the spot it is complete. They have the timeline and history written out so they do not even need to go further. I would be sad though. :(

Claire

The Geekette
It wouldn't be the end of the world for me at all.

For me none of the more recent releases have been able to top my favorite titles within the series. Nintendo and Zelda to me are still those thick, plastic NES and Game Boy cartridges. Personally, I'm a total freak when it comes to handhelds, that's my thing. I never touched Spirit Tracks or had any desire to buy it because I wasn't too pleased with Phantom Hourglass. I'm more likely to throw myself onto a chair and pop in Oracle of Ages or Link's Awakening, which is in fact what I've been doing. It isn't that I've failed to acknowledge new titles are being launched all the time, but that I'm stuck with the games that I feel are the better titles in the series and I've kind of given up spending money I don't have to spare on titles that have been unable to woo me. If I had it my way, I'd have another 2D Zelda, but I doubt that'd happen under Nintendo. It may be blasphemous to say, but for me the series kind of has been dead since I'm still stuck in the past and haven't had any desire to move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom