• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What If Link Were Mute?

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
I know we have a thread on voice acting already, and a thread on "what if Link were not Caucasian", but what if Link were mute?

Maybe Gannon could cast a spell on him at a young age, or maybe he would just have a disease...but in any case, he actually could not talk.

In addition to being sort of progressive, having a disabled main character and all, wouldn't it add an interesting aspect to his character? It would make him more interesting and then you could have a great explanation for keeping Link silent, while all the other players could talk. No, you don't really need an explanation, but it would make him even more heroic, in my mind.

There is nothing that Link could not accomplish as a quester/fighter if he was mute and it would make him more sympathetic...plus, people with disabilities often have even stronger abilities and senses in other areas. I think it could be kind of neat. It would make him even more interesting and endearing.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
D

derektherock42

Interesting idea. Whatever they do, they cannot make Link talk. It would ruin his original purpose: to be a "link" between the player and the game.

Link V

Tommorow belongs to us...
ummmmm.... there's a reason why we had tatl and navi, u might not believe it but it wasnt just go: "HEY LISTEN" through the entire game. They were link's voice, they talked for him in a way. Like C-3PO with R2D2.
r2- wewewbobobpopbiobo.
3po- How dare you say that about master anikin! He would never do that to Padme!
r2-wepweppwbob!
3po- i dont know maybe someone else got her pregnant, just shut it.

now we were able to determine what r2 said by what 3po said.
but in zelda its like this r2=link 3po= (partner character)
the partner helps link to comunicate as a charcter because u r him. and nintendo does not know what you would say.
any way, the mute thing? that would be interesting. but i think players would be set on trying 2 break the curse, so it might not work.
l8r guys. (WHOA, i didnt realize how long this was.......im turning into Kaepora Gaebora from Ocarina of time)

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Before anybody tries to say that he's already mute, let's all remember that he does reply to NPCs, just not with text or voice.

So, what if Link was mute? I imagine it'd be very difficult to save the world. Sure, he spend a lot of his time alone, not bothering with others, but sometimes he has very important conversations with people. What if he just couldn't communicate verbally? Gestures only go so far, and I imagine that they don't have sign language. Even if they did, it's not like it'd be widely known.

But people are intelligent, and there are always ways to communicate. Link is Hylian, and they have the ability to communicate telepathically... or, at least the ancients did. When one lacks a sense, the others grow stronger to compensate. A blind person picks up on sound and feeling. I imagine that, if Link couldn't speak, he'd be able to tap into those telepathic powers.

And then, of course, there is writing. Link doesn't exactly write, but he seems capable of reading, so I assume he can. However, taking the time to write out his point would be something he just can't be doing all the time, so I imagine that the telepathic powers the Hylians carry would be the most likely way he'd communicate. Of course, if this is something only the ancients had (and, of course, royalty has as well), then he'd probably scare people a little bit. I mean, how would you react if the guy standing in front of you was talking, but his mouth wasn't moving? You'd be a little jarred at first, but hey, that might make for some interesting NPC reactions should they ever decide to focus on those again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom