• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What I Don't Like About TP

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
Don't get me wrong this is one of the best games in the series (#2nd or 3rd best Zelda for sure!) but there is one thing that bugs me till this very day.

Even from my first run through of the game i was disappointed with the concept of collecting pieces of light for your vessel of light to restore the spirit of lights essence to that area. WHAT A MOUTH FULL!!

I mean there are just too many things about this plot development that take away from the overall game play of TP!

First You search through the entire area for these bugs leaving little of the next village/field/town unturned, this decreases the overall exploration of the area when you become human again. Also as a wolf your not doing a lot other than running around.

This process happens three times in the game and covers a lot of territory, every time I play this game anew I begin to see why it is so awesome. discovering that with each play it becomes more enjoyable just like OoT and MM.

But when half of the game gets shown to you via shadow bugs that are annoying and pointless that show up on your map it takes away i think from the game itself. By this I mean that the light spirit shows all the locations on your map and you just run towards them and kill them. If the locations weren't shown everything would be fine. you would have too spend more time hunting each one down (although that would be pretty tough). :(

If I could have changed any part of this game I would have, it would be the vessel of light quests, and this is what i would change it too.

Instead of the twilight covering all of Hyrule Link could go too Kakariko Village, Hyrule Town, and Some of Faron woods. The rest of the three provinces would be covered. Also Instead of transforming right away Link would stay human for a time. Here he would talk to the people in these locations and through trading sequences and interacting the twilight would overtake the area finally. At which time Link would transform and then collect the pieces of light.

This would have allowed for a slower progression in the storyline as well as more unique events instead of the same old bug thingy every time.

thoughts?

Zeanith

The Shadow Knight
I completely agree, Rae.

I remember being so very frustrated each time I found a new spirit. I hated searching for those stupid Tears of Light.

The first time was interesting. 3 Times later, I've grown a very bitter hero. :lol:

I don't agree actually.

The bug quests is one of the things I liked about the game. It gave me sort of a.....go through of each area, and I could see each area and explore it, before I actually have to do anything important. Kinda like, how you can explore every area in every zelda game, but if you every wonder, how would this place look if it was completely the opposite, dark, scary, every monster different. It didn't really take that much time either. Go to a spot, kill them. Go to another spot, kill them. It wasn't really that hard.

Akiranon

Fallen Knight
I don't agree actually.

The bug quests is one of the things I liked about the game. It gave me sort of a.....go through of each area, and I could see each area and explore it, before I actually have to do anything important. Kinda like, how you can explore every area in every zelda game, but if you every wonder, how would this place look if it was completely the opposite, dark, scary, every monster different. It didn't really take that much time either. Go to a spot, kill them. Go to another spot, kill them. It wasn't really that hard.
I agree, the bug quests didn't feel like a chore to me... the first time I did them. I always liked the wolf parts simply because of the Twilight world. Man, it would've been awesome if the Twilight clouded areas actually looked different instead of being just a filter (it really was a filter and a buch of alternate enemies).

That's why the whole Twilight idea feels wasted to me. They didn't use it effectively.

R

Rheks

I disagree too, I like collecting the bugs, it was actually the fun "quest" in the game.
TP lacked actual fun in it, I love side quests and this game didn't have many.
I didn't care that it releaved some of the map, no biggie.

I also don't agree, I didn't really care that it revealed any areas of the map....nothing big, Infact, I prefered discovering the map in this way. Having to collect the bugs meant you actually did something, Also finding the Bug in the Lanayru province would have been to hard (the one where you had to jump along the ledges along the wall).

The only thing that annoys me about collecting the bugs is after a few save files it starts to get a bit boring.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I have to agree. Everytime I came to a new location in need of Light, I just knew I'd have to do the dreaded tears quest. I understand that they were trying to flesh out Wolf Link's usefulness, but it got pretty repetitive. The first time was alright, but it eventually became the same thing over and over. The only thing that changed was the location.

The Twilight was an interesting concept, so it's a bit disheartening that it was wasted on such a minor and repetitive task. Yes, you got to know the maps through this task, but I think exploring them in a different way would have been better. Running around and killing bugs? Bo-ring. Fighting mini bosses or something would have been much more interesting.

Vash03

Needz Moar.... Zelda, NAO
I'm kinda partial on the subject, I hated doing the quest, I just didn't care for it at all. But on the other hand, I did like that it would basically give me a tour of that area. Also.. I liked blowing up that building.. I even knew the very first time what was gonna happen, but I didn't care.. I was like.. FIRE!!!

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
In some ways, I liked the bug-quests... it was nice to hunt around the area, be a wolf, hunt...

However, after a while, it got tedious. I had more fun fighting Shadow Beasts in the Twilight than finding buggies.

I saw an image on Wiki that showed the original concept for Twilight as being different - being a monochrome world expressing spiritual emptiness. Now that I think about it, that would have been really cool - perhaps a more interesting filter than the one we got.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
In some ways, I liked the bug-quests... it was nice to hunt around the area, be a wolf, hunt...

However, after a while, it got tedious. I had more fun fighting Shadow Beasts in the Twilight than finding buggies.

I saw an image on Wiki that showed the original concept for Twilight as being different - being a monochrome world expressing spiritual emptiness. Now that I think about it, that would have been really cool - perhaps a more interesting filter than the one we got.
I agree with you on this matter. The monotone world was much more appealing to me, and held a lot more symbolism. However, I doubt Midna would have been able to express the Twilight Realm's beauty if it were monotone. Still, I prefer the black/white scheme.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
awesome, i would like to see that pic.

i'll admit there are some valid up sides to the twilight quests. :)

Waker of winds

Finally playing PH!
Ohh, I'd liked to see that black&white Twilight Realm. Actually, what I don't like is the orange color that covers the world. I know a twilight has to look like that, I like it, but it hurts my eyes. I'm very sensitive to strong colors and lights.

I also didn't like Link's facial expressions, they were like...exaggerated.
Link finds a green rupee and he looks like he has found a silver one.
"Omg I found a green rupee!!!"

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
Still, I prefer the black/white scheme.

Same here. I prefer everything that they showed us in the beta stages over what we got. I firmly believe that if they had kept the game the way it was in the first and second trailers, that it would have been a much MUCH better game. The game that I fell in love with was the game in those trailers; not the one that's sitting in my GameCube.

youtube.c om/watch?v=OOW7BpvW9Rk
youtube.c om/watch?v=x4rsSmF2GM0

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom