• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Game Made You Quit a Franchise?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
This is so wrong on so many levels. You won't beat SS by swinging like a maniac, in fact you won't get past the Forest Temple miniboss, let alone Tentalus.
TP, however, endorsed swinging like a maniac, allowing you to swing your sword even while running.

Yes... and I'm sure TP's bosses were also beatable by mindles swinging... Don't talk anymore.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Yes... and I'm sure TP's bosses were also beatable by mindles swinging... Don't talk anymore.

TP's bosses are glorified puzzles that are defeated simply by using the dungeon's item to hit their crippling weak point, followed by wailing away on them until they get back up so the process can repeat. That's about as mindless as it gets.

And if you think SS's bosses are just mindless swinging... lol.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
isn't this the entirety of every Zelda boss fight ever

No. Look back to the older games and you'll see that they're much more action-based -- bosses generally behaved like normal enemies, just with lots more health and larger movepools. Items were often a PART of the fight, but they weren't the means to an end. This is a concept that the last two Zelda games finally brought back.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
TP's bosses are glorified puzzles that are defeated simply by using the dungeon's item to hit their crippling weak point, followed by wailing away on them until they get back up so the process can repeat. That's about as mindless as it gets.

And if you think SS's bosses are just mindless swinging... lol.

Welcome to the Zelda franchise... even your Skyward Sword there. Boss patterns are nothing new and guess what, some of the best boss battles come from TP. Most Zelda games for that matter. Oh and btw, I beat Ghirahim's final form with mindless swinging... What exactly is so mind-blowingly top notch and super duper complex about that?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Welcome to the Zelda franchise... even your Skyward Sword there. Boss patterns are nothing new and guess what, some of the best boss battles come from TP. Most Zelda games for that matter. Oh and btw, I beat Ghirahim's final form with mindless swinging... What exactly is so mind-blowingly top notch and super duper complex about that?
No. Look back to the older games and you'll see that they're much more action-based -- bosses generally behaved like normal enemies, just with lots more health and larger movepools. Items were often a PART of the fight, but they weren't the means to an end. This is a concept that the last two Zelda games finally brought back.

I'll just leave it at that, we've derailed this thread enough.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam

In other words... "mindless" fighting.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Oh you can easily get through SS with mostly wild swinging. Add a few stabs, skyward strikes, and some well timed shield bashes, and you can swing wildly the rest of the way...it's just not very effective and Ghirahim would be tedious.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
This is not the place to discuss Skyward Sword controls and bosses in Zelda games, unless it's directly related to why you stopped playing the franchise. Get back on topic, please.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

The Sands of Time was art. Warrior Within was the death of art. I stopped playing after four hours because I didn't see the need to fill my mind with any more of the game's garbage. The first game was damn important to me. I loved it like I love Ocarina of Time, and I think it was totally deserved. In an era already starting to become saturated with First-person shooters and M-rated everything, The Sands of Time went in the opposite direction, delivering a classic, simple adventure story with archetypal but fascinating characters. It was family-friendly and easy to follow, but intelligent in its construction. Here's how they marketed the braindead sequel, and it's not far off from the experience of playing the game:

[video=youtube;PSi4dp_7ctI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSi4dp_7ctI[/video]

What on earth were they thinking? Worse, why did the dark turn work and sell more copies? I imagine much of the fanbase for Warrior Within is an older version of the fanbase for Shadow the Hedgehog; "mature" = blood, guts, sex, swearing, and obnoxious pseudo-metal/post-grunge. So maybe the extra sales went to apathetic teens who avoided the first game because it wasn't "mature" enough? I can only speculate.

Some background: I was late to the game when I played The Sands of Time--The Two Thrones had already come out. Nevertheless, I managed to insulate myself from news about the series for about three years, playing The Sands of Time on and off. It's neither a long nor a particularly difficult game, but I don't think I wanted it to end. After something like a two-day binge, I finally finished it in 2008, and I was in shock at how incredible of a game it was. Anyone who says ONLY gameplay matters either hasn't played The Sands of Time or hasn't played it properly; while the platforming is a blast, everything else about it, from the endearing main character to the story to the atmosphere to the music is honestly unlike anything I'd played before or since. It reminded me of why I love this medium, and it resonates with me to this day.

I quickly scampered off to buy Warrior Within.

I really wish I hadn't. Gone was the lush music, replaced by an obnoxious rock soundtrack that wasn't remotely innovative. Gone was the pretty, interesting world, replaced by dark, uninspired architecture. Gone was the endearing prince, replaced by a tough guy comic book character. This might be the worst thing of all, because spending time with the Prince in The Sands of Time was delightful; spending any amount of time with Warrior Within's self-righteous frat boy makes me want to send him head-first into every spear, sword, and trap and toss him from every cliff. I have never hated a video game character so much.

Not only did Warrior Within kill my interest in the rest of the series, I didn't go back and play Sands of Time for quite a while. Even now, knowing what supposedly happened afterwards, it's hard for me to see Sands of Time with the same degree of reverence I once had for it. That's too bad, because to this day, it remains one of my top ten favorite games of all time.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
@Hanyou

Wait, how was Sands of Time family friendly? o_O There was blood and sex and...I'm amazed it got away with a T rating. And what world are you referring to? All there is in that game is architecture. You spend the whole time in the palace...

Hanyou

didn't build that
@Hanyou

Wait, how was Sands of Time family friendly? o_O There was blood and sex and...I'm amazed it got away with a T rating.

Your mileage may vary.

I think it's family-friendly in the same way the first Indiana Jones movie is. That movie does have suggestive content and some pretty graphic violence (both quasi-realistic and fantastical), but it's such a blast to watch as a kid that it's something of a rite of passage.

The Sands of Time has a similar adventure story atmosphere. It's a tad scary at times, it's violent at times (though I'd say the violence is pretty tame, since most of it is directed at sand creatures that don't bleed), and yeah, it gets a little suggestive too. That's all fine. I survived (and loved) Raiders of the Lost Ark when I was seven, and I'd say The Sands of Time is suitable for a similar demographic.

That sense of charging into the great unknown, of boundless magic and classic storytelling, appeals to the inner child, I think. But I saw a lot of games in that era trying to one-up each other in violence, grittiness, and cynicism, and The Sands of Time was very different, even if it did have some (light) violence, language, and light sensuality.

And what world are you referring to? All there is in that game is architecture. You spend the whole time in the palace...

Yeah, and it's marvelous. That is the "world" of the game, and the palace is sufficient for world-building.

A fictional "world" is rarely a literal globe, unless you're talking about something like The Silmarillion. In fiction, we catch glimpses. The warmth and mystery of the palace both gives us a tantalizing glimpse of The Sands of Time's world and serves as the sum total of that world.

Warrior Within's world, judging by its own architecture, is drab and heartless. It doesn't matter if they technically populate the same earth; they feel completely different, and the contrast is evident in both games' constructs.

Last edited:

prince rallis

I'm a huge metal fan.
Call of Duty: Advance Warfare: I'll still probably play older games in the series, but I doubt I'll stay with the new ones since Activision confirmed no Wii U release and since how they treated the're other games on Wi

New Super Mario Bros. U: this is when I realized that Mario past Sunshine for me are boring especially New Super Mario Bros. U, so when a new Mario game comes out, I won't get excited for it, but if it's co-op I'm sure my brother will make me play it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom