• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What does Zelda need more of?

What is the one thing you think Zelda games lack and need more of to make the series more engaging for you.

Is it story? Better characters?

More strategic gameplay or just gameplay options in general?

What one thing do you wish Zelda had more of?

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I can't really quantify it, but I think we need to see a better balance of old and new ideas. I personally love the freedom that BOTW and ALBW gave us, and how it implemented the accessibility of items, but I also am a fan of the old days of traditional dungeons and acquiring new tools for my adventure. Maybe a balance where you have access to all areas, but can acquire an item in each area that will help you progress in that environment while also having practical usage in combat or other areas? So if we use BOTW as an example, you could have access to all areas, but say you'd get cryonis at Zora's Domain or something, granted the item in question would hopefully be more useful, and then also be tied to a dungeon in the region, but you sort of get the idea.

I definitely like the idea they've had with multiple legitimate answers to puzzles and obstacles, so I'd like that to stay, but I wish there was a way to keep old fans happy while still trying new ideas.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
More Strategy because lets face it in BOTW you were limited to Ranged, Melee or stealth there wasn't really an inbetween and out of them all for everything melee was just outright the best.

We need more exploration based puzzles, we had a few of them in BOTW but they were all close together we need more items to find in the world that fit in somewhere else.

Honestly enjoyed the fact that there was no overall arc to BOTW the story was sub-par and didn't merit anything worth saying but the fact that there was no rush to the end and an ALMOST endless array of tasks to do was nice.

Wouldn't of minded seeing some enforced horse fighting because we had that in TP and man was it good and it came back in BOTW and was crap, you literally just bop em off the horse and thats it back to beating the crap outta them with a massive club.

More locations are needed because i dunno about others but MAN AM I SICK OF DEATH MOUNTAIN, why does every volcano in Hyrule gotta be Death mountain? Sometime the volcano is done so well to actually warrant it and in others it's just a pissant mound of dirt leaking radioactive diarrhea same goes for Zoras domain, if we are gonna have zoras bring back the ocean zora, that would've been goddamned awesome to have the option to fight underwater and explore the seas.

Most important thing? New characters, stop giving us gorons, koroks/kokiri/great deku turd/zora/rito. Give us something new that feels fresh, they wanted botw to be a breath of fresh air for the series in fact i'm almost sure it's gonna be a reboot so give us a whole new damned cast, stop giving us references to the old games in the form of characters, using names of old characters as locations is a bit of a tradition in nintendo and thats fine but no more sodding gorons or zoras

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Consistency. Or progress if you prefer, but I don't feel there can be progress without consistency. After Ocarina of Time, Zelda has been constantly changing and adding gimmicks, allowing little room for the series to actually grow. Some change is needed to grow, but LoZ has gone too far. Simply put, how can you improve on the horse mechanics when there is no horse? How can the combat from the previous game be improved when the combat has been overhauled twice in a row? How can the dungeons of previous titles be outdone when there's no dungeons left?

Zelda is in the same boat as Paper Mario in that it has completely lost any sense of identity it has ever had. As far as gameplay goes, there's nothing that really separates a Zelda game from the rest. Not anymore. Anything you could commonly attribute across all main titles as an identifier of a Zelda game has been shrinking and shrinking as the series has gone on. Until BOTW, the only two core elements remaining have been dungeons and item progression. And now those are gone. The only thing Zelda has now is its few consistent characters and its setting. And not only are these minor elements of the series, but even these are being cut from their roots with Link becoming less recognizable and Hyrule shifting further from a medieval setting and closer to a sci-fi setting instead.

I'd personally rather the series go back to its roots, whether BOTW be forgotten or branched into a spin off series, but regardless of the decision Aonuma makes going forward, I want him to figure out what he wants the series to be and stick with it. Because as it is, Zelda has just been running around in circles like a headless chicken. After picking a direction, they need to stop with the gimmicks. Stop adding new ideas unless they think they are robust ideas that can stick and make the series better. Don't remove concepts unless they have completely failed and are utterly flawed in concept. And finally, Aonuma needs to stop being afraid to compete with himself. Try to surpass the previous title he made. And if the new game doesn't, learn from his mistakes and try again in the future.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Zelda needs more dungeons, meaningfull content, and story, simply put. And more difficulty by far.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Dungeons.

Zelda is a series that simply doesn't need a detailed or involved story or deep characters. You're a hero on a quest to stop evil. Cool. That's literally enough for me. What I want is to be that hero going into creepy tombs and dark dungeons, ancient towers and spooky castles. I want to go to places regular people can't or won't. I want to cleanse evil locations and make the world a safer, better place. I want to be challenged in terms of combat and puzzles. I want to get lost in mazes and have to use my brain to get through them. I want to face strong, powerful foes, and overcome them with my skill and perseverance. Dungeons let me do these things. Dungeons are Zelda to me. BotW's biggest mistake (among many) was having no dungeons at all, instead replacing the very core of Zelda game design with one-and-done shrines which felt like the gameplay equivalent of a Happy Meal toy.

A Zelda game without interesting and challenging dungeons isn't a Zelda game to me. One of the reasons I love the OoX games so much is because they have so many dungeons. Ditto ALttP and TP and ALBW. MM only has four, but it bolsters that with a few mini-dungeons and the sheer challenge of the four full dungeons it does have.

If you tell me the next Zelda game has eight or more dungeons — actual dungeons, not BotW shrines — and I'd genuinely consider buying another Switch.

Usurper King Zant

King of Twilight
I would love to have a sidekick that would fight alongside you and with which you would develop a certain relationship throught the game (not necessarily a romantic one).
Something like when you use wolf link amiibo in BOTW, but more interactive. I know it sounds like Hyrule warriors, but still....

Full disclaimer, I have yet to playthrough BotW so maybe this issue has been addressed in that game.

More proactive enemies! The Iron Knuckle in Ocarina of Time was the coolest enemy cause it was out to kill me! I loved that it wanted to just straight up fight.

I'm currently playing through Skyward Sword and I'm consistently frustrated by the fact that Bokoblins are so annoying to fight. They block a ridiculous amount of attacks, yet they're dumb as bricks in their own attack pattern. Enemies that simply force you to wait for them to do something really dumb are cool as early game monsters, but they basically make up all of every 3D Zelda ever. With the advances of technology in gaming, it would not be outside the realm of possibility to refine combat to make it more engaging and less tedious.

what would i like there to be more of?: dungeons of course although games do not lack them except BotW, there could never be enough of those, (a bit) too greedy i know but if something is (very) good more is or would be better

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom