• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Does the Legend of Zelda Mean to You?

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
Hey everyone,

I've been really thinking lately....The Legend of Zelda is a series I grew up with. Even though as a kid I hardly had any of them, I loved the series to death. My first game was Link's Awakening and boy do I still love it. However, The series means more to me than I would've ever thought it would. The Legend of Zelda isn't a video game anymore to me...It's a Legend...filled with the triumphs and many sorrows of Hyrule. The love I feel towards the characters is unlike anything I've felt for a video game because I feel that I am truly "Linked" with the characters as Nintendo intended it's fans to be.

The history of Hyrule really intrigues me as in reality I'm a huge history buff. I want to learn all I can about Hyrule. From the very minuscule details about each race, to its religion and its many legends. How its geography has changed throughout the years and what allowed the land to thrive. I want to learn about the beasts of the land, the magical creatures and items, the mysterious land marks and areas, Blades that can thwart evil hearts....Just everything about Hyrule is magic and has captured my heart.

However I can only speculate, because in the end, it is only a video game :(. There are so many things wrong with this world that people like me thirst for the things we love that aren't real to become a reality...I'm saying that the Legend of Zelda is a part of who I am, and I would never want to see the series take its leave...It's not easy for me to write something this heartfelt about a video game, because it's just a video game...But to me and to thousands, the Legend of Zelda is more than just a video game; it's an adventure the world has yet to truly see...

So what does the Legend of Zelda mean to you?

To me Zelda means a valuable part of my life. It's really what got me into video games in the first place. Zelda also served as an escape. I really see Zelda as a core part of my existence, oddly enough?

S

Sheik

To me Zelda means a valuable part of my life. It's really what got me into video games in the first place. Zelda also served as an escape. I really see Zelda as a core part of my existence, oddly enough?

It's not odd. I see it that way, too. ^^

It's truly the best way to escape the mundane world we live in.

...that, and listening to/playing music from the games. XD

Video games in many ays still are viewed by society at large as a children's toy. That is changing though.
We have adults in their 30's now who still play because they grew up with it, and as time goes on it will be mainstream for all age groups I believe. I think that view sometimes makes it hard for someone to say that a video game has such a large impact on their life, but saying that for a book or film doesn't carry that connotation. But games are just as much an artistic medium as any.
It not only provides visuals, but for series like Zelda it is story driven and includes another form of art, music. It also has the dimension of letting the players not only follow along in a story or watch, but to interact with the world the creator made. It's a great artistic medium in my opinion and should be treated as such just as a movie or book is. If art is done well it is captivating, it becomes a part of who you are because we can self reflect through someone else's self expression. It can captivate the audience as much as the artist. It is obvious that like myself, Zelda has the effect on a lot of people. It just goes to show how great the series really is, it is a piece of art.
For me it is a great escape from the troubles of real life, to get sucked in to the story and characters and to live for just a while in that magical land.

amaterasu

Writer
For me, TLoZ is another video game loved by many (including me, it's my favorite Nintendo series), but hated by most. Just because it doesn't have "realistic graphics" or "guns". Well, you know? We gamers didnt' spend YEARS being SOCIAL OUTCASTS just for everybody else to start playing games and ruin it. :(

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
For me, TLoZ is another video game loved by many (including me, it's my favorite Nintendo series), but hated by most.

Well, in Germany, Zelda is highly popular. Even my Mother played A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. Boys, Girls, Men, Women, I don't know many persons complaining about Zelda (there are always people which are complaining about a game). Along with Metal Gear, The Legend of Zelda is one of the most appreciated Video Game Series in Germany.

For me, Zelda is not only a memento of my childhood, it is a philosophy for me. Comparable to Dantes Divine Comedy or even the Bible. I love to play the games, and I also love to talk about them. The whole background story behind each game is as fascinating as the game itself. And that's exactly why we are here at Zelda Dungeon. This philosophy connects us with each other. So we may be all different people, but we share the same passion, The Legend of Zelda.

For me, TLoZ is another video game loved by many (including me, it's my favorite Nintendo series), but hated by most. Just because it doesn't have "realistic graphics" or "guns". Well, you know? We gamers didnt' spend YEARS being SOCIAL OUTCASTS just for everybody else to start playing games and ruin it. :(

I don't think that is true at all though, this series wouldn't have lasted this long if it was hated by most. Also we see like OoT mentioned as the #1 game of all time on a lot of lists and polls, and if not there always top 10. Zelda has won a lot of those greatest series polls as well. I would say Zelda is liked by most.

DLC

Soul Drummer.
Zelda and other forms of fiction is where i escape from real life and follow my dream, to be a hero. not like a war hero, but a real hero in the stories.

romani64

PASTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
well,.......every time i play a new game...it helps me to understand something in the world that i never knew before.......
truthfuly saying.... (is truthfuly a word??)
video games changed my life......

V

Vaati

Zelda, to me, is a really cool adventure game in which my combat and logic are both tested. The games are all part of (except the cdi games) a bigger timeline. Just thinking about all the possibilities of what could have happened or how the games relate is mindblowing. I'm addicted to Zelda forever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom