• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Do Your Parents Think of Video Games?

squadala

I don't like you either
What do your mom and dad think of video games? Do they play any? My mom thinks of VGs as generally "bad" or "mind-dementing." She used to be an avid Animal Crossing: City Folk player, but she has started playing less and less. She also might play a title game like wii sports, party, play, or fit on ocassion. My dad however has a lighter view on VGs. He doesn't do any single player games but often plays wii sports or brawl etc. with me. He likes nintendo and manages buisness accounts for Nintendo of America's HQ and Pokemon's HQ. So what do your folks think of video games? DO they play with you? By themselves? Would they know Ganondorf is they bumped him in the street? Anyways, post your replies here.

my folks are ok with video games, my mom plays them everyday i even got her to play halo , but she'll only do the multiplayer and i keep telling her the story is good, she is a huge fan of the burnout series, she is an old school gamer so she sits there and plays pacman or mario i even gave her a few zelda games to play, she likes link's awakening the best. My father rarely plays video games but when he does he plays racing games such as need for speed or gran turismo.

ApcolypticMufin

Fan of Zelda & Bioshock!
My father is actually the one who introduced me to gaming! He loved ocarina of time and used to help me fight all of the bosses when I was just a little tyke. In fact, just a little while ago we were questing together in WoW! My mother however has only ever played WiiFit, WiiSports and Joust. They both approve of most games, and would give me a great amount of freedom in that regard!

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
My mom used to think they were bad, now, she actually thinks they're pretty cool. My dad has no opinion on anything, so he doesn't really matter. Plus I moved out of his place a while back because his girlfriend would keeping do things like ground me and take away all my game for months... she was way to strict, so I left that place and never looked back. At this point I still live with my mom but she never grounds me, I'm kind of too old for that. So my video games are never in jeopardy anymore. I can game as much as I like whenever I like, with the exception of at work... though I'm trying to find a way around that, I've been thinking about getting a Gameboy Micro. and a cart of pokemon emerald or something.

They used to play Zelda back in the day (they actually introduced me to the series when I was but a lad). They're indifferent to them at this point in time.

Hylian Hobbit

Delightfully Delicious ;P
I chuckled when I saw this thread. I couldn't help it. My tv and video games are safely packed away either in the back of car, or stowed in the closet. I think it was about a year ago that they said they'd give me my stuff back soon... They think video games and tv make you a bad person and friend, but it's okay to play "sometimes". Which basically means when i move out this year for college and take stuff with me. Never used to be that way though.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Well, that honestly depends on which parent you ask. My mom, when she was young, owned an Atari 2600 with her brother. She found it quite fun and such, then moved on from that. Then, she started getting into casual games with the release of the Wii and all of those glorious games like Wii Sports (and Resort) and Wii Party. She bought a DS Lite for herself in recent years in order to play some casual games herself, but she has only one or two games on the system. She isn't that much into fighting, so when I play even something as innocent as Super Smash Bros., she raises an eyebrow.

Funny thing is that in recent months, I've growingly started to become interested in the more Mature games not much because they have guns and such (that should never be a reason to play a game), but because each game has it's own unique style of gameplay and story telling. There are a lot of M rated games that have such detailed plots and awesome gameplay (my only two examples here are going to be the BioShock series and the Half-Life series), but I also play games like Left 4 Dead as well (I'm not much into the "big" games like Halo and Call of Duty, but I do own Halo: Combat Evolved for PC).

Now, I said all that up there for a reason. What I call art (I mean, you're mixing visual styles, music, story telling, etc.), my parents call violent. Now, my Dad, he played games until life really caught up to him. If I can recall, the last game he went out and bought for himself was Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness. For those who don't know, Warcraft used to be an awesome real time strategy game, much like Starcraft. He thinks that video games can be fun, but doesn't think of them as an art form the way I do. This is also the guy who grew up with not an Atari 2600 or a Nintendo Entertainment System, but the ColecoVision (well, technically the Coleco Adam). That is played in my room now, and he and I occasionally play Super Action Baseball and Donkey Kong.

So, my mother doesn't really appreciate the games the way I do, and my dad finds them cool but is too used to the old joystick to try anything new.

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
My parents never touched a video game system and they probably never will. They don't mind that playing video games is my hobby, so I always had a lot of freedom playing the video games that I like. If I asked for a 16+ or 18+ game for Sinterklaas, 9 out of 10 times I got it even though I was younger than the advised age. Maybe they should have been a bit more strict, but back them I didn't mind their lack of interest :P. I tried to get them more involved in games with wii sports and mario kart, but my parents find that too 'stupid/a waste of time'. The only downside is that my parents never buy video games just because they are interested in them. I always have to buy my games and I'm not allowed to ask them for Christmas or my birthday anymore. I don't really mind though, since they always buy stupid film licensed games -.-

I'm jealous of the people who have parents that like video games. I would love to see my parents play a Zelda game and actually enjoy them, so that they understand why I spend so many hours in front of my tv. Sadly I don't think that will ever happen though :(

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
My mom absolutely dreads video games and wishes she could through all of you consoles, handhelds, and games in the garbage. The only games she might play every once in a while are Wii Sports/Resort and Wii Fit/+. But my dad on the other hand likes them. Heck, he was the one who brought me into the gaming world, including Zelda. He quit playing single player games, but he still plays games my brother and I like Super Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Partys, and Mario Karts. Even though he's pretty bad at them, it's still very fun to play those games with him. Who knows, if it weren't for my dad, I wouldn't probably even be here!

Wow, just to image. This thread will change SO much in 30 years that it's not funny. It will be rare to find a parent who doesn't play video games.

My father is apathetic about videogames. He just saw them as my personal diversions, although at an arcade he'll play Pac-Man or Q*Bert like he spent his whole life training on them. My mom's a casual gamer. She plays with her iPod Touch or whatever and just plays Angry Birds, Solitaire, and other small yet addictive games (addictive to her at least.) Although my mom has tried to convince me that videogame music isn't 'real' music and that all the studies that prove games as good or bad can't be proven completely since games have only been around for 40 years.

My parent's have differnet view's on video games in general. My mother, she does play video games but only the old and classic games (Burger Time, Ice Climber, stuff like that). But there is some occasion's to were she play's more up dated games, (Super Mario Galaxy 1, Probably Animal Crossing: City Folk,) My mother isn't a big fan of video games, she prefer's playing on the computer. :/
My father on the other hand, opposite of my mother. He play's video games more than me, and that is impossible! He play's Animal Crossing, like me. He play's Fire Emblem Radient Dawn, like me. But he does play with me, Brawling mostly though.

00steven

Yeah, that's right!
My mom used to play mario games but that was years ago. She pretty much thinks they are a waste of time now and wishes I wouldn't play them so much. My dad on the other hand is ok with it and sometimes plays with me. He usually plays racing games or shooters. No mario or zelda for him.

jugglaj91

I am me....
My parents could care less about gaming. My mom used to play back on the Atari and my dad used to play Sonic 2 and Mario 3 with me a lot. Now all my mom asks is "what is that system?" all she wants to do is see them and she is happy lol.

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
My mom doesn't touch them. She'll only play Wii Sports resort. My mom thought, "Zelda Saves Princess Peach" Was an actual video game. She supports my hobbies. I do not have a father, so I wouldn't know what he thinks. My uncle plays video games with me a lot though.

Zelda64

The Knight of the Wind
Before I was born, my mom used to play Super Mario World on the SNES while my dad was at work. Now, I play with her on the same game but on the Wii, but my mom isn't used to the Gamecube controller which is why I intend to get the Classic Controller soon. My dad never played video games before I was born(for all I know). In more recent times, the whole household plays Mario Kart. My mom plays with my and my (older) sister the most, my dad sometimes joins in, which is why he is the worst. In conclusion, my mom likes video games but only likes some games while my dad ...I don't know much about his opinion. You could say my dad introduced me to video games, because he gave me my first consle, but I'm not sure that really counts because he didn't play my first game with me which tells you that I was smart enough to know how to play without any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom