• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Do You Think of the Music in Skyward Sword?

I don't think the music is really that different than what we've heard in other games in the way you're suggesting, rpk. Yes it is a unique sound in plenty of areas (Nintendo said a while back that they intended to do folk-type music, so I guess you're on the mark there), but many of the Zelda games have that. The Wind Waker has a consistent musical style, as did Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks. Skyward Sword is the same because it's unique, if that makes sense. :bleh:

How I feel about it though? I think it sounds breathtaking. I think this is probably going to beat out Spirit Tracks for me as my favorite soundtrack of the series. Pretty much every song I've heard so far has blown me away and makes me want to play the game so badly. @_@

Interesting that you should mention this, because the guy who reviewed Skyward Sword from ONM, was asked a question about the music. He states that the music is of "high standard" but less memorable then music in previous Zelda games.
Here's his direct quote....

"The main theme (the reversed Zelda's Lullaby theme) really grew on me - it's used in some creative, goosebump-inducing ways too.

Elsewhere, the music's of an incredibly high standard, though not as catchy as it's been in other Zelda games.

I'd struggle to hum the Faron Woods tune to you now, for instance. Wind Waker's still got my favourite Zelda music."

I think the lack of catchiness stems from the music going in a more ambient direction. Although I really can't say since all I can recall hearing is the Goddess theme.

I don't think the music is really that different than what we've heard in other games in the way you're suggesting, rpk. Yes it is a unique sound in plenty of areas (Nintendo said a while back that they intended to do folk-type music, so I guess you're on the mark there), but many of the Zelda games have that. The Wind Waker has a consistent musical style, as did Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks. Skyward Sword is the same because it's unique, if that makes sense. :bleh:

How I feel about it though? I think it sounds breathtaking. I think this is probably going to beat out Spirit Tracks for me as my favorite soundtrack of the series. Pretty much every song I've heard so far has blown me away and makes me want to play the game so badly. @_@
The tribal part sounds deeper with this game. Such as ghirahim's battle music

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer

It kind of does sound like that, but more...Japanese. I don't really have the word for it, but I like the style.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
The music is absolutely gorgeous, and I believe this even more so after seeing this new gameplay video:

[video=youtube;6iyPnWf9OX8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iyPnWf9OX8&feature=player_embedded#[/video]

Just listen to that music in the Spirit Realm at 2:33....it's the melody of Faron Woods, yet done in a way that perfectly matches the 'spiritual' ambience of the area, and I can't help but feel that it sounds amazing.

And then, even during Fi's entrance at 3:26, the music in the background just sounds so beautiful....

Least to say I think that Skyward Sword's soundtrack is going to be spectacular.
As to it being less memorable, in addition to that being a matter of opinion, it's also largely based on your preferences in music. There are a lot of people that thought TP's music wasn't very memorable, yet there are distinctive tracks from it that I certainly remember enjoying. Skyward Sword has already proven itself to me as more than worthy in the music department, so I have absolutely no doubts personally about whether the soundtrack will blow me away. But as some people may not be impressed or interested as I was with the music I mentioned above, it shows how the opinion of the soundtrack as a whole can easily vary.

Personally, I am looking forward to what I'm sure will be many superb pieces in the game.

Last edited:
X

Xemnas89

The music is done by the same dude who conducted Mario Galaxies music! :D

No he's just handling the orchestration. The main composer is Hajime Wakai. He did some music in Wind Waker and did the music for Star Fox 64. Koji Kondo is also composing some tracks for the game.

T

Tiddly-Winks

the music is GORGEOUS. I'm in the wind Ensemble at my highschool, and our director, Mr. Norfleet, loves tough music. he wrote a loong piece called Shogun, and it reminds me a bit of SS music, but it's all got this very Oriental feel to it, unlike SS, which has a very diverse range of music.

I fell in love with the Intro music whenever I heard it, so I'm dying to hear what the rest of the game will sound like and how well they incorporate it into the story! :)

TheMinish

Hero of the Skies
It's a bit early to judge the soundtrack as a whole, but, so far I really like the music. I find most of the stuff really catchy. It is very interesting that the Silent Realm music is a dark remix of the area's normal theme. Look at the Iwata Asks video and listen, it's really spooky.

It's a bit early to judge the soundtrack as a whole,
I don't think it's too early at all. We don't have the entire soundtrack, but we've heard plenty to judge the general direction of it. At an estimate, I'd say we've heard well over a dozen of the game's major songs, if not two dozen. Sure, not the entire song, but plenty to get a feel for it, and while soundtracks often can have almost 100 songs (particularly Zelda games), keep in mind that these days that includes special jingles and tunes heard in cutscenes, which we've heard almost none of. What we've heard is the game's main themes, and they're already giving us a great idea of the game's audio.

Interesting that you should mention this, because the guy who reviewed Skyward Sword from ONM, was asked a question about the music. He states that the music is of "high standard" but less memorable then music in previous Zelda games.
Here's his direct quote....

"The main theme (the reversed Zelda's Lullaby theme) really grew on me - it's used in some creative, goosebump-inducing ways too.

Elsewhere, the music's of an incredibly high standard, though not as catchy as it's been in other Zelda games.

I'd struggle to hum the Faron Woods tune to you now, for instance. Wind Waker's still got my favourite Zelda music."
I don't agree with him at all. As I said just above, we've heard plenty to start getting a feel for the soundtrack, and I don't think any of it fails to be catchy or less impressive. I understand that it's his opinion, but I can't regard it as anything close to an absolute, even already.

Wasn't referring to a sound that's present throughout the series; that's what Nintendo said they were going for with this game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom