• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Do You Think About Skyward Sword So Far?

chris112

ゼルダファンの伝説!
So today, I went to my dad's house to open my new pre-ordered Skyward Sword game (the Wii motion Plus Bundle Edition). I have been playing it for a few hours today and I thought the game was really good. In fact, I put the case back into the box I got it in. And the Golden Triforce Wii MotionPlus remote, I put it back in the plastic covering (or whatever what was covering it) and put that back in the box. :) So as I already said, I really like the game. I mean, it was really good. But there was some stuff in the game that I found that I didn't like. For example, the Wii MotionPlus remote would sometimes not connect/ react correctly. For example, sometimes when I move the remote one way, the game would move the sword another (ex: I move the remote right, the sword moves left. :( I move the remote left, well, the sword just goes berserk and doesn't go left :O) And the shield situation, well, I think the mechanic of how long a shield will be useful 'till it breaks is completely STUPID! You should be able to keep a shield as long as you want (well, except if it burns. That I think is alright) until you get a better one. And what is the point of upgrading a shield? In the original games, you just progress through the game where you find a better shield without finding items that mind be hard to find just to upgrade. Also, in Twilight Princess, you start with the wooden shield and then later get the Hylian Shield. Bam. You got the strongest shield. And in Ocarina of Time, you get the Deku Shield, then the Hylian shield and finally the Mirror Shield. Why couldn't Skyward Sword just have it where you find one or two more shields that keep getting better instead of upgrading a shield? I think its worthless. Another thing I don't like is the running situation. I rather have it so that you always run when you move the analog stick on the nunchuck (or move it slightly to walk) than hold the a button to run for a limited time and could eventually run out of breath. I rather have the running mechanics in Twilight Princess than Skyward Sword. Also, the running mechanics in Skyward Sword made me miss it when the a button would make Link roll. But don't get angry with me, 'cause these are my opinions.

So basically, I think Skyward Sword is a fantastic game but not a perfect game. what do you guys think? Do you think Skyward Sword deserved a perfect 10 (just like what ign.com gave it) or do you think it deserved at lower score? What do you think about the game so far (the pro's and cons)?

I don't like the fact of how you have to go back up to the sky to go to another part of the surface. For me that killed the exploration. Also how it was limited to only 3 types of enviroment.

I don't like the fact of how you have to go back up to the sky to go to another part of the surface. For me that killed the exploration. Also how it was limited to only 3 types of enviroment.
that was the most dissapointing aspect for me aswell, the next zelda game has to have one big overworld imo. I just can't wait to see what they will come up with for the wiiu

MW7

For example, the Wii MotionPlus remote would sometimes not connect/ react correctly. For example, sometimes when I move the remote one way, the game would move the sword another (ex: I move the remote right, the sword moves left. :( I move the remote left, well, the sword just goes berserk and doesn't go left :O) And the shield situation, well, I think the mechanic of how long a shield will be useful 'till it breaks is completely STUPID! You should be able to keep a shield as long as you want (well, except if it burns. That I think is alright) until you get a better one. And what is the point of upgrading a shield? In the original games, you just progress through the game where you find a better shield without finding items that mind be hard to find just to upgrade. Also, in Twilight Princess, you start with the wooden shield and then later get the Hylian Shield. Bam. You got the strongest shield. And in Ocarina of Time, you get the Deku Shield, then the Hylian shield and finally the Mirror Shield. Why couldn't Skyward Sword just have it where you find one or two more shields that keep getting better instead of upgrading a shield? I think its worthless. Another thing I don't like is the running situation. I rather have it so that you always run when you move the analog stick on the nunchuck (or move it slightly to walk) than hold the a button to run for a limited time and could eventually run out of breath. I rather have the running mechanics in Twilight Princess than Skyward Sword. Also, the running mechanics in Skyward Sword made me miss it when the a button would make Link roll. But don't get angry with me, 'cause these are my opinions.

So basically, I think Skyward Sword is a fantastic game but not a perfect game. what do you guys think? Do you think Skyward Sword deserved a perfect 10 (just like what ign.com gave it) or do you think it deserved at lower score? What do you think about the game so far (the pro's and cons)?

The controls really just take getting used to and eventually you learn how to make it register correctly every time, at least that's what I've found so far. Also Skyward Sword doesn't force you to upgrade shields and you can get 4 different ones (the first 3 can be upgraded twice each). So it's not like they left the whole "progress through the game to get stronger items" idea out, but they took that and added the upgrade system which is entirely optional. Also the stamina meter is really different from all Zelda games; I'm 3 dungeons into the game and I'm still not used to shaking the nunchuk to roll.

As for me, my biggest complaint is that the game seems so attached to telling a story that it seems that it is entirely linear. I say seems because I don't actually know this for sure, but I have my suspicions based on how the game is progressing for me.

The shield and stamina meters are there to make the game more strategic. In Twilight Princess, the shield was wayyyy too powerful. Link was pretty much invincible. In this game, combat actually makes you think because you can't just stand there holding an invincible shield. So this is a big improvement. Also, upgrading the shield makes it tougher and gives it a cooler design. There are also three different types of shields with seperate upgrade paths. The other two will become available later on.

The stamina meter allows for the overworld to become more tricky. It makes you think about what you are doing and plan ahead before you act. It also keeps the spin attack from being overused.

Both of these features enhance gameplay dramatically. They may make the game more challenging, but that is a good thing. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were both insultingly easy. This game really takes measures to fix that problem.

I too enjoyed the stamina meter and the shield being able to break. Honestly, I only worried about it breaking once because I forgot to change the type of shield for a specific enemy and almost killed it in one hit. As long as you do not do this, you really do not have to worry about the shield breaking at all. At least I didn't. I personally wish they had made it so it would break a little easier just to add tension.

Like you said, you are only a few hours in. Give it time and I am sure you will like these elements by the end.

I'm currently exploring the third dungeon and I must say my original perspective has been altered. It started too slow and honestly I was bored. I love the rpg mechanics of the game, stamina meter and the upgrade system. I still dislike the overworld, Hyrule not being connected is a downer. The dense action is great, the temple like structure of Hyrule. I miss the epic feeling of riding your horse through the vast fields of Hyrule like in TP and to be honest the flying is far from the same. IMO they should have put more things in the flying mechanics, there are hardly any enemies or obstacles in the sky to make flying memorable, also the design of those birds is horable why not a tough looking bird instead of an oversized duck.

Link8150

The 8150th Link
I have beaten the game and am attempting a 6 heart Hero Mode run, and I can now officially call Skyward Sword my favorite game of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom