• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Do You Sacrifice when You Have Work That Needs to Be Done.

What is the first thing you put aside or reduce to get work done?

• Spending time with family

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • spending time with friends

• Sleeping

• Entertainment(Movies, video games, TV, etc.)

• Gym or exercise

• Other things

• Total voters

Salem

SICK
Hi.

When you get really busy with work or studies or anything that has last longterm. What is the first thing do you put aside in order to get it done?

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
For me, it doesn't particularly feel like I put anything aside. All I usually do is draw and study art history, but that's so interesting to me that anything I "put aside" is not particularly missed. Plus, it is suggested to take breaks when drawing so the eyes can readjust, which is why I'm on ZD right now and making this post. Even when I have schoolwork that needs to be done I just do it because of the urgency that I have to do it.

I suppose the only thing I put aside is sleep, but I don't necessarily miss it.

Garo

Boy Wonder
Sleep. The secret to keeping a crazy schedule is to never let yourself feel fully rested.

Wake up in the morning at the crack of dawn. Get dressed, hop in a car, and drive to the school. Check out a grip truck, and then drive it to set, barely arriving by call time. Spend six hours lifting heavy equipment, hot lights, and pushing the dolly around. Break for an hour for lunch. Six more hours of heavy lifting, hot touches, and dolly pushes. Wrap all the equipment back to the truck. Drive the truck back, check in the keys, and drive home. Eat dinner, shower. Spend at least an hour writing, because that's what you do when you want to be a writer.

Then there remain five hours until you have to wake up and do it all again the next day. Those five hours are blissful and some of the best sleep you can get.

This might be an extreme example, where I sacrifice sleep because I don't have those other things to sacrifice, but I find that sacrificing sleep is always more advantageous to me than sacrificing going to see a movie or even just staying home and Netflixing a movie. Watching movies is critical to my development as a filmmaker; pushing all that aside will stunt that growth, and if that's the case then why am I doing all this other stuff?

It's all about priorities. There's never a "right" thing to sacrifice in order to get work done; you do what you have to, and that's that.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Yeah imma have to go with sleep as well.

It's stupid really as I'm very prone to feeling like crap after a bad sleep. If I don't get a reasonable sleep, I tend to get mind-numbing headaches, I become lethargic, and I simply just cannot function. The thing is, whenever I had work, whether it be college assignments or simple studying, I'd leave it to the last minute (in typical me fashion) and I'd spend all night half awake trying hopelessly to complete work or absorb information for an exam.

This never really works, if it wasn't for my sheer luck of being able to get away with things and pass exams (while still getting good results) I would have failed in education to be honest.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Yeah imma have to go with sleep as well.

It's stupid really as I'm very prone to feeling like crap after a bad sleep. If I don't get a reasonable sleep, I tend to get mind-numbing headaches, I become lethargic, and I simply just cannot function. The thing is, whenever I had work, whether it be college assignments or simple studying, I'd leave it to the last minute (in typical me fashion) and I'd spend all night half awake trying hopelessly to complete work or absorb information for an exam.

This never really works, if it wasn't for my sheer luck of being able to get away with things and pass exams (while still getting good results) I would have failed in education to be honest.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Exactly this. XD

I always leave my assignments until the last moment. I've even had huge, big, important projects that I leave until 11 PM the night before it's due. In those cases, I just DON'T sleep. I stay up until 4 AM writing them, then wake up to prepare for school at 5 AM.

Sleep is always the first thing to go. When I don't want to do an assignment, I have major problems focusing. I'll often take breaks every twenty minutes or so to check ZD (even though nothing happens at 2 AM) or watch a YouTube video or something. Entertainment is very difficult for me to set aside. If I WAS able to set it aside, I probably would finish my assignments faster and as a result GET more sleep, but... eh. Sad thing is, like JC said, I can get away with it and still get pretty good scores, so nothing's going to change any time soon.

Besides, in some ways, I like staying up late to work. Although I always get a pretty bad headache from it, no one else in my house is awake to bug me while I'm working, and I'm free to get distracted as much as I want without being discovered and scolded. Plus, it's easier to wake up in the morning when you never went to sleep, haha!

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
I usually just blow it off until I start running out of time. Though, I'm not THAT bad as to what they call "last minute".... No, I don't get that bad.

But, when the time comes, I usually just blow off sleeping. So that way I can get my work done, and still play games or do whatever.
Because I refuse to stop doing what I want to do. Just because I have work to do doesn't mean I can't also have fun. I'll just do both.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
It's not something I directly put aside, but any moment I spend working or sleeping is time that I would, otherwise, be spending with friends. It's simply an unavoidable side effect of working.

Maikeru

Piper of Time
Normally, I don't have to set anything aside, because I'm generally a very quick worker. It'll take me minutes to finish something that it takes others an hour to do. When I do spend my time on something it's always for a project when I'm doing something artistic. Like when I wrote a script for a play for my Astronomy class or when I created a board game for my Technology class or when I wrote a story for my Psychology class. Those are the kind of things I spend time on, but I'm typically so interested in them that I have them done well in advance. If I ever have to sacrifice anything, it's sleep. And that's really just because I spent the entire day watching TV or playing a video game.

Clank

Hmm
Well, as soon as I'll realize I have an assignment due within 24 hours and feel inclined to start on it, I generally start some music and simply work on it till it is done, almost always sacrificing sleep because I wanted to talk to a certain someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom