• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Do You Do when You Get Stumped in a Dungeon?

What do you do when you get stumped in a dungeon?

• Completely backtrack and look through every room for something you missed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Look up a walkthrough right away, or ask somebody that has already played the game

• Linger in the room and think about it

• Ask somebody else for ideas

• Leave the dungeon and do something else

• Quit the game -- you'll come back to it eventually

• Other

• Total voters

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
I'm sure we've all had those moments where we feel completely and utterly lost. We're sure that we got every key, unlocked every door, but here we see that something stands in our way, and we can't figure out how to continue moving forward.

What do you do? :3 I'd like to see the various ways people approach problems.

As for me, the only time I get stumped in a dungeon is when there's a door blocking my way and I can't get to it. It's ALWAYS for the most stupid reasons, too, like not realizing that I could have jumped over that gap (Fire Temple in OoT) or pulling the statue instead of pushing it (Skull Woods in ALttP). -_- Somehow I never get stuck on complicated puzzles, but on things that require common sense like that.

Last edited:

Garo

Boy Wonder
I typically scan my map for long stretches of rooms. If I haven't missed any long stretches of rooms, then I likely have explored the majority of the dungeon and plundered most of its treasures. Then I check for singular rooms. If I have any of those left, I make my way to those, as they are likely rooms that contain only a small puzzle and a Small Key. After all the rooms on my map have been explored, I find the Boss Key chamber and make my way there.

If I get stuck on a specific puzzle, I first scan the room and make sure I don't see any indicators of a new item that I need to find first. If I don't, I scan for things that I may be missing and mentally go over all of my items to see how I should be using them. If I still can't figure it out, I backtrack and take an alternate passageway to see if either a) there is a new item that I need or b) there is something in another room that will affect the puzzle I am trying to solve.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
The Poll doesen't make sense. The most important choice is missing, the Walkthrough ;)
If you get lost, there are official guides, or great free guides (including Video Walkthroughs) here at Zelda Dungeon.

And I very often used the Video Walkthrough of Twilight Princess, because I had many problems with the Dungeons :(

The thing is, I try my hardest not to look at a walkthrough.
I know it isn't cheating, but I want want to figure it out by myself.

So what I do is look at the map right away. If there is a room I haven't been to, then that's where I go next.
Same with the compass. If I see a chest in a room in which I've already been in, I go to get that chest.

But, if I don't have a map or compass yet. (which would be quite odd since they are usually at the begining of the dungeon, so I shouldn't be getting lost that early.) I just explore the dungeon to see if I haven't seen that area, or if I had been in that area I look around for something I might of missed.

If all else fails, then I will use a walkthrough. I find them to be quite convenient.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
One thing I don't do anymore is consult walkthroughs. When I first played Zelda games, I looked all the times. Then it reached the point that I looked only at the most desperate times. Now, never. I've literally spent months trying to solve a dungeon in games because I was too stubborn to look at a walk through. I don't consult help either. The only exception would be if the Person never played the game before. Then there guess is as good as mine and they're not telling the game.

When I get utterly stuck in a dungeon, the first thing I do is check my map and make sure I've been to all possible rooms. If there is a room I have not been to, I look for access to that room. I learned this from playing the swamp temple in MC.
There's a room there only accessible by blowing up a perfectly normal looking wall
Then I check for treasures that I've missed though this should be zero since I collect every chest along the way. If that still doesn't work, I go back to every room and I try everything possible. And when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING. Usually when I get stuck, its because of something so simple I feel stupid or something I would never have thought would work, so I never tell myself something is too stupid to try. This wastes ALOT of time, but I would rather do that than say I needed help.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I usually walk back through the dungeon a few times, lookingt at every possibility. Sometimes I miss stupid things like cracks in walls that need to be bombed. But usually if I backtrack and figure out which rooms I need to get into and where the treasure chests are. There's just a few things you do before using a walkthrough. If my friends have played the game I sometimes ask them, I rarely use walkthroughs. Most of the time I just miss obvious things, though.

Beeker

Wild Card
When I get stumped in a dungeon, usually I backtrack and check my map to see if I missed any rooms. Sometimes I miss certain points so I forget that I was going the proper way. If I have the compass, that helps, so I can see if I'm missing any important treasures. Even if I do have that stuff, I still go through the whole dungeon again to see if I missed something. I'm also like Random Person: I used to use walkthroughs for everything in Zelda(I didn't feel safe without one:sweat:), but now I try to refrain from using them. Usually when I do use walkthroughs, they are more for finding any collection items I miss.

AwesomeLink86

Link is awesome!!
I never get stumped because I am awesome :P..............JK

Uhh..........I search till I exhaust every possible nook and cranny to see if I missed a chest. It's usually because I missed a chest somewhere. I try to avoid GameFAQS as much as I can.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
The Poll doesen't make sense. The most important choice is missing, the Walkthrough ;)
If you get lost, there are official guides, or great free guides (including Video Walkthroughs) here at Zelda Dungeon.

And I very often used the Video Walkthrough of Twilight Princess, because I had many problems with the Dungeons :(

...What are you talking about? XD There's clearly a choice up there that says "Look up a walkthrough right away, or ask somebody that has already played the game." ^^

MidnaOfTheTwili

Link x Zelda
I linger in the room and look around first, but if I can't find anything in that specific room, then I look at the map and explore rooms that I haven't been in yet, backtracking through the dungeon. If that doesn't work, which it usually does, then I eventually consult the ZD walkthroughs. But I try to NEVER use a walkthrough, only as a last resort if I get frustrated enough. And videogames don't frustrate me easily.
So I basically do a mix of things on the poll XDD

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
...What are you talking about? XD There's clearly a choice up there that says "Look up a walkthrough right away, or ask somebody that has already played the game."

Ha, my bad :D
I haven't seen the most obvious choice. I've voted "Other". Damn.

germ1137

Lokomo Ninja
Zelda Dungeon is my MAN when it comes to that. Twice, while I was playing Twilight Princess, I finally made it to the Boss room when I forgot to find the Boss Key :(. But ma bud, Zelda Dungeon is always there for me :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom