• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What DIDN'T You Like About a Zelda Game?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I already made a thread about what Nintendo shouldn't do with Skyward Sword. So I figured I should make a thread about what I think Nintendo shouldn't have done in a past Zelda game.

For example, I didn't like the design of the Mirror Sheild in Majora's Mask. The face just... put me off. I was kinda hoping to see the same style of Mirror Sheild in Ocarina of Time; that one was pretty cool.

Another example is, and I think this has been mentioned before, linearity. I like to be able to go where I want, when I want in a video game. I think Nintendo cost some zelda titles some points with this regard. Like in Twilight Princess, you couldn't leave Faron Woods until after you get the Fused Shadow. You could argue and say that you couldn't go on to Kakariko without it, but the Fused Shadows don't really have a purpose until the end of the game, so that's not necessarily true. After all you could always go back and get it when you need to.

What are some things you guys didn't like about a past Zelda game? Feel free to talk about any of the past titles.

And to Axel the Beast, I got the warning, and I understand. I'll keep that in mind for future reference.

Well, there is a few thing's that I didn't like in Ocarina of Time.

I did not care for the Biggoron Sword. Yes, it causes a lot of damage, but I really hate te face that you have to use two hand's just to use it. I alway's get close to being attacked and I can't even defend myself. I hate it!

The Hover Boots, it is a good item to have, I just don't like the fact that there is no friction going on. I alway's slide everywhere.

In Majora's Mask there wasn't really anything that I could complain about other than The Fairy Sword. Either use a Powerful sword as a main weapon, or just don't mention it at all. =/

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Four Sword Adventures: The item system. I don't know whether it works even slightly differently when you have more than 1 player, but having all 4 characters use the same item is rarely more use than each holding a different item for various puzzles where more than 1 item is required. Also the way none of the items are permanent, so each time you go to a new level you have nothing from the last one with no real explanation other than "game mechanic" to justify it. There could have been other ways to handle the item system and retain the challenge of a later puzzle that will require a specific item (like the bow).

PH/ST: The touch-screen controls weren't terrible, and by ST some of them had been improved, but I would have liked to see classic controls as an alternative control-style. ST could also have used some graphical touch-ups when you're in the train.

OoT: Talking to Navi relegated to the A button, rather than one of the view controls. A was the action button anyway, it couldn't have hurt.

AoL: Maybe its just me but I found it weird that the moblins near the beginning of the game don't give experience for beating them. Yet the little blobs all do (unless they drop an item). It would have been nice to go after the bigger kills for experience rather than hoping enemies in dungeons will beef me up enough to not die against bosses.

There are a few other complaints to some of these games, but they're often pretty outspoken anyway so I won't go into those. ;)

squirrelguys

Hero of Slimes
The item system in the Game Boy titles. Having to continuously pause and switch items in a dungeon or the overworld gets old pretty fast especially in the latter areas.

Djinn

and Tonic
Touch screen controls for the DS games. I hated having to tap the screen to make Link attack and move around when I have a perfectly usable D-pad and buttons. I did not think it was innovative at all, only a very unnecessary addition just to have the player use the touchscreen so we can all be amazed at the new leaps in technology Nintendo is trying out. What wold help is some kind of option to turn these things off if the player wants to play the game normally. I have the same opinion with TP on Wii.

Gimmick boss fights that require you to use the item of the dungeon to exploit a weakness. I never get the chance to actually fight a boss anymore, at least not as a regular fight. That is only for minibosses. With boss fights they always have some little spot on their heads, or tail, sometimes a tongue that has to be hit with the hookshot or an ice arrow to stun them so I can quickly run over and whack them with the sword a few times. Only to repeat three or so more times. I think this was overused in WW and TP. Every boss required some use of a special item found in their dungeon to open them up for attack. Meanwhile these items are almost completely useless in every other situation. I would rather not have the Zelda series follow Mega Man in that special weapons are only useful to kill bosses.

C

clopzat

The item system in the Game Boy titles. Having to continuously pause and switch items in a dungeon or the overworld gets old pretty fast especially in the latter areas.
you know actualy that's true for every single other zelda title everrrrrrrrr!! Except for Ph/St of course. But yes I agree with you're complaint but I just wanted to point out it is'nt unique to the game boy entries.

squirrelguys

Hero of Slimes
you know actualy that's true for every single other zelda title everrrrrrrrr!! Except for Ph/St of course. But yes I agree with you're complaint but I just wanted to point out it is'nt unique to the game boy entries.

not the home console versions(like OoT) the sword is always out. with three slots for items on the N64, as apposed to having the sword take up a slot along with another item like bombs taking the other slot.

For Ocarina of Time, only one thing comes to mind, and it was very, very, VERY, minor: Once you prepared to fire an arrow, you couldn't NOT fire it. You could try to put the bow away, but it would somehow re-equip itself and fire an arrow.

Majora's Mask is also pretty minor. It was the Mirror Shield design. I just didn't like it. I wish it could be like Ocarina of Time where you could switch between the two. The Hero's Shield is awesome and looks awesome; the Mirror Shield, is gigantic, ovalish, and has a weird design.

Wind Waker's was significantly more major. Sea Combat. So, so, so, SO broken. First of all, to use a weapon on the King of Red Lions, (I.E. your bow, the boomerang, the cannon, etc.) you couldn't keep moving with your sail out. You had to put the sail away and become a sitting duck in the middle of the ocean in order to use a weapon. Second, when you did that, the TWO Gyorgs (Sharks) would spontaneously become SIX Gyorgs, all circling around you while you try to get some breathing room. Besides the mechanics, the Sea Combat music was annoying.

Twilight Princess's was Ilia. I just do not like her. She's obnoxious, bratty, mean, and a pathetic Malon-wannabe. And then there's that whole ooey-gooey scene after you restore her memory... Ugh.

A Link to the Past, so far, it's the unforgiving enemies. Your average enemy out in the middle of the field does a lot of damage and has a lot of resistance themselves. It's much better once you get the Master Sword, though, since it does 2x damage and can fire beams at full health. I just got the Fire Shield too, so that should help. In addition to this, hearts are very hard to come by in this game. There are rupees everywhere in the grass; hardly ever are there hearts. It seems like the lower the health you have, the less likely it is to find a heart in the grass.

Can't really say anything about TLoZ, since it's so simple, being an NES game... I guess the non-linearty and having to guess where to go next. Thank you Zelda Dungeon.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
For Ocarina of Time, only one thing comes to mind, and it was very, very, VERY, minor: Once you prepared to fire an arrow, you couldn't NOT fire it. You could try to put the bow away, but it would somehow re-equip itself and fire an arrow.

Actually, if you quickly swing your sword if you don't want to fire your arrow, you won't fire it. So that's one way you could avoid wasting a perfectly good arrow.

Just thought you'd like to know that.

I agree with Djinn. It would be better if the bosses didn't show their weakness to Link like Diababa or Gohma.

Actually, if you quickly swing your sword if you don't want to fire your arrow, you won't fire it. So that's one way you could avoid wasting a perfectly good arrow.

Just thought you'd like to know that.
I did not know that. I'll try it soon and see if it works.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
Something I always disliked is the fact that when you save, it doesn't save exactly where you are. That's kinda annoying.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Majora's Mask is also pretty minor. It was the Mirror Shield design. I just didn't like it. I wish it could be like Ocarina of Time where you could switch between the two. The Hero's Shield is awesome and looks awesome; the Mirror Shield, is gigantic, ovalish, and has a weird design.

This is not minor for me. I freaking hate that face that stares at me. OoT's mirror shield was awesome looking. And what's worse, once it's equipped. You're stuck with it.

Now for me, there was this game called Zelda 2 the Adventure of Link. That's it, I hate that game. There are too many things to list.

Twilight Princess, the fairy icon was really misleading. It made it seem like Link had another Navi with him and it would fly awkwardly on the screen when you didn't need it. I guess it was better though then a huge target flying across the screen for no apparent reason. I also didn't like the fact that Dark Link was not a major application in Twilight Princess. I cannot stress this enough. Twilight Princess is the darkest game in the series, it was a perfect chance to not only fight Dark Link, but give him a backstory. Perhaps make him Zant's understudy and he SO should have been the mini boss of the twili realm. And then the whole scenerio between right after the Temple of Time and fighting the dragon of the City in the Sky. That whole part bored me to no end.

O

OcarinaMaster95

I personally thought there wasn't a Zelda game that was bad, except for Majora's Mask. While it was an amazing game, I hated the feeling of not being able to explore the huge world. I know I could play the song of time backwards, but the thought of still being timed was still nagging at the back of your head. No more timed Zelda games, Nintendo.

Well, there is a few thing's that I didn't like in Ocarina of Time.

I did not care for the Biggoron Sword. Yes, it causes a lot of damage, but I really hate te face that you have to use two hand's just to use it. I alway's get close to being attacked and I can't even defend myself. I hate it!

If there was a good way to defend yourself, that weapon would have become so overpowered, hence the reason that you can't defend yourself whilst using the item. But then again, it's so awesome that it was more than easy enough to defeat most enemies in Ocarina of Time anyway. :P

Gimmick boss fights that require you to use the item of the dungeon to exploit a weakness. I never get the chance to actually fight a boss anymore, at least not as a regular fight. That is only for minibosses. With boss fights they always have some little spot on their heads, or tail, sometimes a tongue that has to be hit with the hookshot or an ice arrow to stun them so I can quickly run over and whack them with the sword a few times. Only to repeat three or so more times. I think this was overused in WW and TP. Every boss required some use of a special item found in their dungeon to open them up for attack. Meanwhile these items are almost completely useless in every other situation. I would rather not have the Zelda series follow Mega Man in that special weapons are only useful to kill bosses.

I feel that I can agree with what Djinn said in this paragraph. No matter how much I love Twilight Princess as a game, when I think about it the boss battles were less to do using your sword and using the item that you found in that dungeon each time. There needs to be more of a balance, like in Ocarina of Time's against Volvagia in the Fire Temple. Yes, you have to use the Megaton Hammer to defeat the boss, but you can use the Bow and Arrow in between the Whack-a-mole like parts of the battle to deal extra damage. It made the battles have more variety and a little more fun. Majora's Mask is a perfect example of this. If I remember correctly, for the first three boss battles (I'm not sure about the fourth), there were different strategies that you could use to defeat each boss. For that last part though, I guess that Majora's Mask was able to do that to a much greater effect than that majority of the other Zelda games due to the fact that you had a transformation mask for each battle.

That was annoying, but a while ago I worked out that if you pause the game before you fire the arrow, you could then swap the Bow and Arrow out for another item and continue playing the game and you would put away the Bow and Arrow without firing, allowing you to save arrows (or the thing I used it to save the most of, magic).

Finally, thinking about one more thing that annoyed me, I thought that the fact that you receive Ilia's Charm so late in the game was quite useless. I would have preferred to have been able to call Epona at my own convenience and not when there just happened to be a piece of that horse shoe shaped grass/flower around. By the time I did receive it, Epona wasn't of a lot of use at that point in the game. I guess they had to do that for some parts of the game, but they could have just made it so that using the charm didn't do anything like they did with the grass/flower at some point in the game.

M

MountainTroll

Triforce shards quests suck! Suck soooooo bad! Dont do it again nintendo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom