• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Did You Learn Today?

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
[yesterday] I learned that a trenchcoat is called so because it was made for WWI soldiers to keep them warm and dry in the trenches

[today] I learned that a LGS nearby is doing another VGC premier challenge (does this count?)

I learned just how inbred Charles II of Spain in the Hapsburg royal line was.

Not as in-bred as the Whittikers "Checkmate America"

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
In attempt to decrease ties in soccer, organizers of the 1994 Caribbean cup implemented a rule where the first score in overtime was worth double.

However, during the last group game of the tournament, Barbados needed to win over Grenada by at least two points in order to progress to the finals. They were only up one point in the last few minutes of the match, so their solution was to score on themselves in order to tie up the game, giving them the time needed to score exactly one goal to win. After they achieved said goal, the rest of the game was spent with Barbados guarding both goals in order to maintain their 2 point lead. They made it to finals, the organizers dropped the rule next season, and thus ends the story of the first and so far only interesting game of soccer ever played.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbados_4–2_Grenada

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I was unaware that Mexico's women team had a match for today in a qualifying match of sorts for the gold cup, till I learned it from browsing my TV Sports list. I am actually waiting for that match to start.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
Out of every city in the world with 100,000 or more citizens, the three snowiest cities in the world are all in Japan of all places. This is because winds from Siberia happen to pick up moisture in the sea of Japan only to dump it on the mountain range that those cities are on.

@Dizzi taught me today that a stone is a unit of weight.

"A stone or stone unit of weight, the stone symbol is st. It is an English and imperial unit of mass that is equal to 14 pounds or approximately 6.35 kg. The stone continues in traditional use in the United Kingdom and Ireland for measuring body weight."

thePlinko

ZD Legend
Ignoring the presidential $1 coin program, there are currently 10 US Presidents that appear as the face of currency. In order of their presidential terms, they are:

-George Washington ($1 and $0.25)
-Thomas Jefferson ($2 and $0.05)
-Andrew Jackson ($20)
-Abraham Lincoln ($5 and $0.01)
-Ulysses S. Grant ($50)
-Groover Cleveland ($1000)
-William McKinley ($500)
-Woodrow Wilson ($100,000)
-Franklin Deleno Roosevelt ($0.10)
-John F Kennedy ($0.50)

There have been other presidents featured on money in the past, most recently James Madison was on the $5,000 bill before it was pulled out of circulation under Richard Nixon’s administration.

There are also 3 other non-presidents currently on banknotes, being
-Alexander Hamilton ($10)
-Benjamin Franklin ($100)
-Salmon P. Chase ($10,000)
As well as countless others featured on dollar coins such as Sacagawea and Susan B. Anthony.

I already knew of all of these up until $100, and I knew that higher denominations existed but never looked too deeply into who was actually on them.

It’s important to continue learning things, that’s how we grow as people. This doesn’t need to be a skill or a habit, it can be as small as a fun fact that you can then share with others. This thread is for the latter.

What is an interesting fact that you learned today? It can be about a hobby, a profession, history, or any other topic. It also doesn’t need to be this obscure fact, it can be something that might be considered common knowledge by people more versed in the subject. As long as it’s something that you didn’t know and do now, it’s fair game. Sources or links showing your point are welcome.
I decided to try out https://apextraffic.io/ to enhance my website's visibility for my freelance business. Initially, there was a noticeable uptick in traffic, but the lack of genuine interactions raised concerns. Analytics became skewed, making it challenging to assess actual user engagement accurately. Ethically, it felt questionable, and sustaining long-term growth seemed unlikely. I shifted back to organic methods like content creation and social media promotion, emphasizing quality over quantity. Authentic connections with clients and users are crucial, and relying on bot-generated traffic didn't align with my goal of building a reputable online presence. Always opt for ethical and sustainable approaches!
For me, I just learned that of all of the American accents and dialects, the one that is the most closely related to a proper English accent is the Southern accent, which makes sense but I never thought about it that way.

some new gaming tricks

Last edited:

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Today I was looking up Chairman Mao's sons.
Eldest one is Mao Anying who was killed in the Korean war. He had another son was active in politics and two daughters too.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
Not today, but been on my mind since visitng a natural history museum because it's just so fascinating. Apparently millions of years ago red pandas lived in Tennessee, heck looks like originated even. Red pandas in the south! Who'd've thought.

20240214-114845.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom