• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What About a Zelda Racing Game?

Would a Zelda Racing Game Work?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm actually surprised that Nintendo hasn't already tried to do this. Maybe they don't want to screw up their more serious Zelda series by making a bunch of spinoff games; or maybe they just love their Mario Kart franchise too much to have another series use the same idea. I actually see this as a good possibility for a new Kart game, since to me the Mario Kart series is becoming stale. And since Link has never appeared in a Mario game (outside of a cameo appearance in RPG), its highly doubtful that he or any of his Zelda counterparts will get behind the wheel in a Mario Kart title.

So the big question is, do you think something like this could work? Not necessarily will it happen, but could it work; because it does sound like an idea that has the potential to never come into fruition. But in the instance that it might, I'll tell you what I think it would be like, and why it would work.

In my opinion, the game wouldn't be too much different than Mario Kart itself. You would have a bunch of characters from the series who all had their own specific stats and karts. The one thing that I believe would change is the Power-Ups. In Mario Kart, you got a ? box that cycled through power-ups that could be used by anyone on the game. However in Zelda, no one person really has the same powers or techniques. So whether you would get an item similar to a ? box, or build up to a power-up by collecting items, I would expect every character's moves to be different.

I could see everyone with at least four special moves in the game. A nice idea would be instead of collecting the ? box style items, which are quite frequent throughout the level, the player would try to collect Triforce pieces. These Triforce pieces would be more rare than the ? boxes, and wouldn't come in roles of five or six. Once the player acquired one Triforce piece, depending on what piece it was, that player could use his first special attack. If the player waited to collect two Triforce pieces, they would be able to use each one individually, depending on what pieces they had. If the player waited to collect all three pieces of the Triforce, then the player could use either each of the three power-ups associated with each piece, or use a fourth special move, which would be much more powerful, at the cost of all his/her Triforce pieces. The player would only be able to use the Triforce power-ups one time until they collected another.

Zelda has had many games thus far, and I think that they wouldn't have to limit the game to one certain legend. I picture the game having characters from any game in the series, as well as being able to race on any level or area from any game in the series. Here are a few characters, their power-ups, and level ideas to give you and example. Characters would be rated on a scale of 1-10 when it comes to stats.

Characters

Link - An all around character. He would have equal stats across the board.
Speed=5, Weight=5, Acceleration=5, Control=5, Power=5
Power-Ups:
Courage- Charge his sword and slash an opponent next to him.
Wisdom- Use a Nayru's Love type move to block any attacks/bumps from another kart.
Power- Be able to lift other karts next to him and toss them anywhere, causing them to wreck. Link could even through them at other karts.
Triforce- Temporarily have control of the Beam Blade attack, allowing Link to shoot beams from his sword towards any kart in front of him. The effect would be similar to the Koopa Shell from Mario Kart, but you would only be able to shoot the beams forward (like the Green Shell), instead of having them seek you out (like the Red Shell).

Ganondorf - Would be one of the more powerful, "Bowser" type characters.
Speed=6, Weight=7, Acceleration=4, Control=3, Power=10
Power-Ups:
Courage- Shoot a seeking blast towards the kart in front of him, similar to the Red Shell from Mario Kart.
Wisdom- Place a pink crystal around all karts, slowing them down temporarily.
Power- Bounce and crash into the ground, creating a shock with a radius big enough to hit any kart within 5 kart links of him.
Triforce- Transform into Ganon (ALttP form), and have all stats temporarily at max (similar to the Star power-up from Mario Kart). Also, Ganon would have his Trident, and be able to hit any kart near him, or charge it to shoot seeking blasts at the next kart.

Zelda - Less power, more speed. Zelda wouldn't be able to knock other karts around like Ganondorf, but would be able to zip past them a lot quicker.
Speed=8, Weight=3, Acceleration=7, Control=6, Power=2
Power-Ups:
Courage- Shoot light arrows at other karts temporarily.
Wisdom- Trades places with the next kart ahead. This would not work if Zelda was in second place because it would be too easy to teleport to 1st and win just before the finish line.
Power- Able to project an energy beam towards the next kart and stop them until Zelda is able to pass. (taken from her energy beam used at the end of OoT on Ganon)
Triforce- Transform into Sheik. Speed, Acceleration, and Control would be temporarily maxed out. Any kart you bump into, you could kick or punch, wrecking the kart. You would also have the ability to throw Deku Nuts at other characters, causing them to be blinded and lose control of their kart. temporarily.

Levels

Castle Town (TP) - The start/finish line would be in the center of Castle Town. The player would race through the town, across one bridge, come around and enter into the opposite end bridge to circle around.

Death Mountain (OoT) - You would race around Death Moutain, trying to avoid rolling Gorons and rocks.

Lost Woods (ALttP) - Race around the Lost Woods, where each time you raced, the paths would lead to a different area. You would be given the choice of taking say, two different paths at one point. One would circle around, the other would go on ahead.

Great Palace (AoL) - A stage modeled after the final palace in Adventure of Link. This level would be a bit longer, and take you through various obstacles from the game, such as collapsing floors, knights shooting sword beams at you, and blocks falling from the ceiling.

So those are just a few ideas of what I think would actually work if they did do a Zelda racing game. I'll go ahead and vote that I think it would work, not just if they did it exactly like this, but because I know there aren't too many other ways they could do it. Being that, there are enough Zelda fans who would buy it, and enough Mario Kart fans would would as well. So yeah, I think this idea could work.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

I don't think it would be quite like Mario Kart. That's not the only racing game out there and certainly isn't the only one Nintendo has made. (There's also F-Zero.) If there WAS a Zelda racing game, it would probably work on its own engine, rather than imitating Mario Kart or F-Zero.

The first thing I thought when I saw "Zelda Racing Game" in the topic title was that they would most likely use horses. Link with Epona, Ganondorf with his black horse, and maybe Zelda with some white horse. They might even be given names for this specific game.

I think it would turn out being a somewhat obscure game, like Link's Crossbow Training and all the other Zelda spin-offs. That doesn't mean it wouldn't go over well, though. I haven't seen anybody make a lot of negative comments about Crossbow Training.

I think that Nintendo should not make a Zelda racing game.
One of the things that I think has hurt the Mario series is all the spinoff games(Mario kart, Mario Party, Mario Golf).
I really think that Zelda should stay as an action-adventure game, and not have spinoff games.

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
I don't not think this would work. Zelda is in a medieval style, how could they suddenly have carts? It could only be done with horses, and then it would just be boring. Also, there just isn't enough important characters that could be use-able. Sure there could be Link, Zelda, Ganon, Ganondorf, Toon-Link, Toon-Zelda, Sheik or Impa, Wolf-Link, Dark-Link and Vaati, but i cant think of anymore.

However, I think this could be done if they had:
Link with Epona.
Zelda and Ganondorf and Dark-Link with their horses'.
Ganon, and Wolf-Link on foot.
Sheik/ Impa running.
Vaati using some method of magic to get around.
Then perhaps Toon-Link and Tetra would only be playable on special levels where you would use their boats, and if not Toon-Link could use the train featured in the Spirit Tracks trailer.

Also, I do not think that there should be pick ups. I think each character should have a certain arsenal of weapons. For example, Link would have his sword and his bow. Zelda could have a spell or two and light arrows. Ganondorf would have his sword and his beams of light. Vaati, and Sheik/ Impa would have magic. Dark-link would have the same the same as Link. The 'Toons' would have the cannons on their boats and Ganon and Wolf-Link would have their teeth and claws.

Actually, looking back on it, if they did all this, they could make this a pretty awesome game. Thou shalt never doubt Nintendo!

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Zelda isn't really a franchise known for doing sports, racing, etc. Never in it's years has it made any type of effort to make one. In my opinion, any type of sport or racing game that is made by the Zelda franchise would just ruin the franchise for me. It's why I like Zelda more than Mario.

But, all that aside, you do have very good ideas for a racing game. I just don't think Zelda fits into the sports and racing spectrum.

Last edited:

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I like the idea you have, but maybe more in theory than in practice. I don't know why this is the case though, because even with Mario Kart, a certain level of the willing suspension of disbelief is needed to think that good guys and bad would come together to go kart racing. I think the more cartoonish style helps though.

Maybe a Wind Waker style racer would work better for me personally. I could see them in the cartoony style racing around and cheering as they are on the podium. TP style graphics might be a bit odd.

I really was hoping after the release of Brawl, and Mario Kart Wii that they would stray from the specific Mario theme to Kart and make a Super Smash Bros Kart game.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
I don't think a full-on Zelda racing game would be good. It would just be a Mario Kart clone; But I would like to see Toon Link, Toon Zelda, and maybe Puppet Ganon as racers in the next Mario Kart.

Kazumi

chagy
I may be one of the few people who think that this is a good idea. But it would need a whole fwap load of characters. That would make it awesome. I've always thought it would be fun, to just once play as some random NPC... Such as Ingo. I think that the Triforce idea is cool, but I don't quite know if it would work. I do like the idea of each character having a few power ups only they can use. All of the different stages would be awesome. Such as a stage on Windfall Island. That would be so cool. But I too, don't want it to be a Mario Kart clone. So they'd have to make a lot of changes. But this idea as potential. I don't want this to become a series like Mario Kart though, and I don't want anything like Zelda Party, Zelda Golf, Zelda Baseball, Zelda Solitaire. I don't know. I just like the idea.

I think they could do a Zelda racing game. But not with karts. In the Mario franchise, we've had a huge variety of technology, so really, karts aren't that big of a deal. But seeing Zelda characters in little motor-propelled go-karts would just be.... weird. They'd have to come up with something better; perhaps horses would work, although it could be a bit awkward too.

I suppose it would be better off if they didn't; Mario Kart is good enough, and I really don't think karts would fit in the Zelda world. I don't see Zelda characters showing up in Mario Kart either. I mean, we haven't gotten any Metroid, Kirby, Starofx, etc. characters yet, so why would we get Zelda ones?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Link has a clean record. No stupid mini-games, cameoes ( other than Soul Caliber, but he owned on that ) unlike Mario, who has Party, Tennis, etc.

Let Link do what he is good at; saving Zelda. :P

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I actually think it could be a nice game :) I believe we are a bit too serious about Zelda on this forum sometimes and spin-offs like a racing game could actually be a good idea! As long as the "tracks" take place in somewhat familiar "terrain".

I believe Tingle should be a part of this game (and maybe even more characters that have appeared in different zeldas) and I believe that there should be different vehicles for different "levels" in the game. I haven´t played many racing games myself but if one was released that was zelda oriented I would get myself a copy, no doubt about that :)

Why not a Zelda Party too? :nod:

I don't know about a ZELDA based racing series.. but I definatly wouldn't mind seeing Link Zelda and Ganondorf in Mario Kart

This is what I was thinking, having them as guest in Mario kart game, after all they have included Diddy, though I can see they still somewhat inside the same world...

I really was hoping after the release of Brawl, and Mario Kart Wii that they would stray from the specific Mario theme to Kart and make a Super Smash Bros Kart game.
Yeah, though I'd rather that as an extra feature inside the multi player of the Smash game. I don't think a game of it on its own would run smoothly and it would be a wide accepted idea of a spinoff.

Maybe a Wind Waker style racer would work better for me personally. I could see them in the cartoony style racing around and cheering as they are on the podium. TP style graphics might be a bit odd.

Yes. I like this. I think the wind waker style is more suitable for a racing game in good terms. I can already see Niko around somehow, hahahah.
With the wind waker + phantom hourglass characters :3

But anyway, I think you put a lot of thought and design on this. It sounds good. I think it will depend a lot of the rest of the details involved in order of it being a good game or not. I personally wouldn't like a clone of the previous kart games. I'd like them to bring something new with them that becomes part of what gives them an identity separated from the others.

The death mountain cycle sounds pretty neat!!

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
A Zelda racing game would be fun but everyone can admit... that it would be kinda stupid.

Still what if we had a Zelda racer as a side minigame on a game using the WW engine, like ST that would work pretty good that way.

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
I think if they did this they would have to make separate levels for separate games or different games of the same time line. I think that they would have to do this as if you wanted to race WW style you'd have to use boats, whereas for TP you'd have to be on horse back. They could do this by like on Mario cart they have the different cups, they could have different cups for different Link's.

Also, DarkLink01 I have some pretty good ideas, but I don't think the collecting of the triforce would work for anyone other than Link, Zelda and Ganon/dorf as these are thee possessors of the triforce. Come of it, can we really picture Anju the cucco lady collecting up the triforce of courage? To me this just wouldn't make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom