• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Was There a Reason TP Link Wasn't Sleeping?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I could be wrong, but with the exception of Twilight Princess, I think Link starts out EVERY single Zelda game asleep. Twilight Princess was the only one where he begins the game awake. In this case, he's talking to Rusl about the Twili. Not long after, he's sleeping. But do any of you think there was a reason for this or if it was just a coincidence?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
In the beginning of Twilight Princess, during his scene with Rusl, it was getting dark. When we next see him, it's morning, and Fado the goat herder calls for him to hurry up. Link goes to his window, an obvious look of weariness plastered on his face. This means he was sleeping, but we don't actually see him laying down this time.

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
It's not EVERY other game. Games such as the original Legend of Zelda and Majora's Mask don't have him sleeping in the beginning. There's really no specific reason for it...

Also...
In the beginning of Twilight Princess, during his scene with Rusl, it was getting dark. When we next see him, it's morning, and Fado the goat herder calls for him to hurry up. Link goes to his window, an obvious look of weariness plastered on his face. This means he was sleeping, but we don't actually see him laying down this time.

And yet he has no bed....very mysterious....

Ventus

Mad haters lmao

This pretty much. However, in regards to our first sight of Link being awake when we boot the game up, I propose that is because it was to set the tone for the game. In the opening cutscene of the game, Rusl asks,
Tell me...Do you ever feel a strange sadness as dusk falls?
That question is a sort of foresight; later within the game Link has to deal with much sadness as the Twilight envelopes everything it comes into contact with. Link himself isn't the sad one, at least from ingame cues, but there is still sadness that he must realize and combat. :)

caleb11roy

Hero of Rhyme
Link was not asleep in the first two Zelda games, Oracle of Ages, and MM, however Link is knocked unconscious in MM. Also he Can'y sleep in TP as he has no bed!

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Yes there was, and I'm glad you asked. Most Links have been portrayed as somewhat lazy or laidback, however TP Link differs. While Nintendo was still trying to make him a kid, it seems to me they were trying to make TP Link as adult-like as possible. If you notice, TP is treated like the "oldest brother/son" stereotype for farming. Thus, one thing Nintendo did was rather than show him sleeping, as per the usual lazy Link, they portrayed him as a hard worker. This is why the game does not start out with Link sleeping, but rather with him working. As I generally say when talking about TP, this was supposed to be a Zelda game all-grown-up, Link is no exception to that.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Because the protagonists mom waking him up and saying he's late to meet his girlfriend is such a blatant agonizing cliche.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
TP Link is still pretty laid back and lazy - After the tutorial parts of the game, right before the actual start of the quest, we see him being a lounging goatherd in the goat field, enjoying a lazy "watch the animals" job. (I was once the keeper of a petting zoo... similar kind of deal, so I can relate to a job that requires "hardly working" as part of the "working hard").

Are we just talking the 3D or modern games here? In the original Legend of Zelda, Link didn't begin asleep. He began outside of a cave with an old man who wanted to give him a sword. In Adventure of Link, he started out watching over a sleeping Zelda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom