• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Was the Final Battle a Disappointment?

Z

ZeldasLullaby

I just finished SS today and while I think that its one of the best Zelda games yet (1st or 2nd, not so sure yet), I found the final battle repetitive, easy and boring. It didnt use motion controls to their fullest (or enough) and while the scenery and over-all presentation was great the fight itself was barely as creative as the previos Zelda bosses.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Demise felt like a copypasta of TP's final boss in my opinion. He was weak and ridiculously slow, to the point where taking damage is a disgrace to any player. The scenery was quite awesome, but that's about it. I didn't quite like the music because something within the story took away from that epic buildup it was supposed to feature.

Well, my first impression of Demise's battle was mixed. Like others, I thought the scenery and the atmosphere were well-done. The battle itself in terms of difficulty ranged from ridiculously easy to moderate at best. The conclusion left me with the impression that the battle itself simply served as a quick means to convey Demise's Curse.

Ochibi

An enthusiastic nobody.
Skyward Sword as a whole didn't reach my expectations-- It just went in a completely different direction than what I was thinking of.
I was slightly disappointed in the Final Battle, it was slightly anti-climatic and easy-- when I found out you could do a Skyward Strike after I beat him.
Even if it was disappointing, the atmosphere compensated for part of it. It's hard to explain my feelings towards it, but I was quite surprised about the choice Nintendo made.

Sure, an epic, all out Final Boss might be cliche, but I think it would've been a better choice in this case.

And I just love Demise's design anyway :>!

He was weak and ridiculously slow, to the point where taking damage is a disgrace to any player.
<.<

*took damage*

Demise is actually no where near as objectively easy as people make him out to be. It seems almost like an even split, from the impressions I've heard about him. Some people find him to be the easiest boss ever, and others found him to be the hardest. I'd put myself in the middle. At least for the first run, he's certainly the hardest boss in the game, I thought, and he made me consume more potions than any other (against other bosses I've only used like one, at most, and Demise made me use 2-3). Point is, you can't make objective statements about difficulty; difficulty isn't objective, and I'm not even talking about skill level, because it happens even among players with the same skill. It's a bigger divide with Demise probably because of how he can fight fairly differently depending on how you approach him and how much distance you keep between him and you.

I'll admit I was expecting (and wanting) a slightly longer fight, so I guess I had the slightest disappointment there, but I later decided that expectation wasn't fair considering Ghirahim was the first portion of the final battle; Demise was already a second form. I also thought the presentation with him was amazing. When he appeared, everything just got bad***, and I enjoyed every minute of it, from appearance to defeat.

The conclusion left me with the impression that the battle itself simply served as a quick means to convey Demise's Curse.
I disagree. I think this impression is likely a product of the fact that he didn't stay around for very long, appearing for a few short scenes, and then dying after the battle. But this is a natural product of the story. The majority of Demise's character was, in actuality, his appearances as The Imprisoned, and the lore building up to him. His actual appearance was only the climax of his involvement in the story. He was more of an elemental force that loomed over you the entire game and could only be overcome at the end. When people regard his appearance at the end as his only involvement in the story, they're oversimplifying his role. In my opinion anyway. :sweat:

<.<

*took damage*

Demise is actually no where near as objectively easy as people make him out to be. It seems almost like an even split, from the impressions I've heard about him. Some people find him to be the easiest boss ever, and others found him to be the hardest. I'd put myself in the middle. At least for the first run, he's certainly the hardest boss in the game, I thought, and he made me consume more potions than any other (against other bosses I've only used like one, at most, and Demise made me use 2-3). Point is, you can't make objective statements about difficulty; difficulty isn't objective, and I'm not even talking about skill level, because it happens even among players with the same skill. It's a bigger divide with Demise probably because of how he can fight fairly differently depending on how you approach him and how much distance you keep between him and you.

I'll admit I was expecting (and wanting) a slightly longer fight, so I guess I had the slightest disappointment there, but I later decided that expectation wasn't fair considering Ghirahim was the first portion of the final battle; Demise was already a second form. I also thought the presentation with him was amazing. When he appeared, everything just got bad***, and I enjoyed every minute of it, from appearance to defeat.

I disagree. I think this impression is likely a product of the fact that he didn't stay around for very long, appearing for a few short scenes, and then dying after the battle. But this is a natural product of the story. The majority of Demise's character was, in actuality, his appearances as The Imprisoned, and the lore building up to him. His actual appearance was only the climax of his involvement in the story. He was more of an elemental force that loomed over you the entire game and could only be overcome at the end. When people regard his appearance at the end as his only involvement in the story, they're oversimplifying his role. In my opinion anyway. :sweat:

I have to say you that was good explanation of Demise and that's exactly what was going on in the story. Basically the player gets first glimpse of Demise in just the beginning as The Imprisoned. Now that you mention it the player deals with The Imprisoned on three consecutive times throughout the game after the Lanyanu Mines. I have to agree I thought it was a great build to Demise and I was right about the black creature relating to the main antagonist.

The biggest detraction for me in regards to the final boss is that the game allows you to go about 1,000 years into the future to get potions and stuff. Demise says, "Don't take too long, I've got things to do" or something like that, but he's ok with waiting a millenium? If the entire battle went: Horde, Ghirahim, Demise with no break it would have been much harder and made a little more sense as well.

Well it wasn't disappointing for me, but I do agree with some that it could have been more epic (like the TP final battle).
If you would count the horde and Ghirahim as a final battle oké, then you'd have a lot more but the Climax battle with Demise wasn't as wonderful and great as I hoped it to be.
He wasn't easy, I took lots of hits, used all of my potions and he looked like a real Boss. The scenery was great, the lightning made it ever better.
But still when you come to realise that he was the most fearsome demon ever, nearly concurring Hyrule, and that the was beat in just one single fight.

Pen

The game is on!
To me it was quite the contrary. I loved the final battle, it was a simple sword duel. Actually it was just what I had been hoping for, but better! I had imagined a final sword duel against someone in your own size in a classic, round Zelda boss room. The real thing was better, the setting was extraordinary, the best place for a battle in any Zelda game in my opinion. And the battle itself was quite similar to what I had imagined, just the opponent was taller than I had expected.

The biggest detraction for me in regards to the final boss is that the game allows you to go about 1,000 years into the future to get potions and stuff. Demise says, "Don't take too long, I've got things to do" or something like that, but he's ok with waiting a millenium? If the entire battle went: Horde, Ghirahim, Demise with no break it would have been much harder and made a little more sense as well.
Well, that's a gameplay thing, but actually, believe it or not, this (and pretty much every other time travel plothole people complain about relating to Demise' appearance in the past) is actually perfectly explained in the game. Scan Demise with Fi and she says:

Fi said:
This eternal being has conquered time itself. It is the source of all monsters.
According to tales passed down through generations, it appears differently in each epoch and to each person who lays eyes on it.

Time does not apply for Demise. When you're talking to him (in the past, right after he got sealed, for context), he talks about how he's been "sealed all these years" or whatever. He was aware of being sealed within the Sealed Grounds, as The Imprisoned, leading up to the present when you defeat him. Even in the past. Of course he hadn't conquered the world yet in the future; he was still waiting for you. After all, it only takes a few minutes to get potions from Skyloft. :) (I know it's hard to wrap your head around, but it's best to assume that time travel doesn't apply to him. He's probably still aware of how long it actually was for Link to go back to the present and return more prepared.)

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
Demise was a lot of fun to me. I did find him similar to Ganondorf in Twilight Princess. However I found him better because he gave a ton of damage for when he hit you making him very challenging. Using the Skyward Strike at the end was an amazing idea that worked well I think.

F

Furious rainbow

it was fun but I really hoped it would have been longer more like twilight princess with 4 parts of the final boss but I still love SS's final boss:D

Well, to me the impression that you described is what was intended to be left on the player, but it didn't work out that way for me. Sure, Demise was an integral part of the story - as The Imprisoned - and we actually, in a way, get to see an active role by the main antagonist throughout the plot. I've acknowledged this does not happen a lot in the series. I've defended almost every facet of Skyward Sword, including anything surrounding Demise. However, the impact that was to be left by the end was not there for me and Demise's (flaming hair mode) little screen time had little to do with it.

I hope no one gets the wrong idea. I really liked Demise as a character - I've said it many times in other threads - but the gameplay aspect to the final battle ranged from ridiculously easy to moderate, in my opinion. I couldn't help but view the final battle as a quick wrap up to deliver Demise's message.[noparse]:P[/noparse]

Last edited by a moderator:

LavaAnon

The Forever Gamer
No, I certainly loved the Demise battle. Just the fact that he could use the Skyward Strike like Link just kinda twisted my mind a bit. But I think this is an amazing boss battle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom