• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Was the Final Battle a Disappointment?

Demise was a lot of fun to me. I did find him similar to Ganondorf in Twilight Princess. However I found him better because he gave a ton of damage for when he hit you making him very challenging. Using the Skyward Strike at the end was an amazing idea that worked well I think.
Yes, this is one aspect I loved and really the biggest flaw with Ganondorf in Twilight Princess. That game refused to allow any enemy to do serious damage to the player, even the final boss, so while Ganondorf could probably hit you a lot, he could never really be a serious threat because he never did much damage. Demise is a completely different story, and that's what's awesome about him. :D

Well, to me the impression that you described is what was intended to be left on the player, but it didn't work out that way for me. Sure, Demise was an integral part of the story - as The Imprisoned - and we actually, in a way, get to see an active role by the main antagonist throughout the plot. I've acknowledged this does not happen a lot in the series. I've been defended almost every facet of Skyward Sword, including anything surrounding Demise. However, the impact that was to be left by the end was not there for me and Demise's (flaming hair mode) little screen time had little to do with it.

I hope no one gets the wrong idea. I really liked Demise as a character - I've said it many times in other threads - but the gameplay aspect to the final battle ranged from ridiculously easy to moderate, in my opinion. I couldn't help but view the final battle as a quick wrap up to deliver Demise's message.[noparse]:P[/noparse]
Ah, that's completely understandable. If you didn't get that vibe from the game, then you didn't. I still think that they didn't just intend that but that they mostly succeeded at it, but that's not going to stop some players from being unable to truly see it and get into it. I'm sorry that was the case for you. :(

M

Monkalrus

I thought the atmosphere and over-all presentation was nice but the entire teleportation to the water/storm area seemed somewhat random. I feel that it could've taken place somewhere in the game instead of some alternate area. The boss himself seemed somewhat boring but thought the lightning sword was pretty cool and the final blow was pretty cinematic. It was good but could've been better. Not disappointed but not overly enthusiastic over the ordeal.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
*took damage*

Demise is actually no where near as objectively easy as people make him out to be. It seems almost like an even split, from the impressions I've heard about him. Some people find him to be the easiest boss ever, and others found him to be the hardest. I'd put myself in the middle. At least for the first run, he's certainly the hardest boss in the game, I thought, and he made me consume more potions than any other (against other bosses I've only used like one, at most, and Demise made me use 2-3). Point is, you can't make objective statements about difficulty; difficulty isn't objective, and I'm not even talking about skill level, because it happens even among players with the same skill. It's a bigger divide with Demise probably because of how he can fight fairly differently depending on how you approach him and how much distance you keep between him and you.
DISGRACE TO THOU, AXELBAEST.

I see what you mean there. My mistake. But I mean, Demise essentially has three attacks. He has his charge which can only be done when you're quite a distance from him; he has the double (triple in phase 2) slash which, in my opinion, should NEVER be allowed to hit you because of how slow it is, and he has the Skyward Strike of Phase Three. Admittedly, the charge can catch someone off guard if they don't have their timing correctly for either their shield bash or the backflip, but the double slash is so ridiculously slow and predictable that it truly is a shame to take damage from that. The Skyward Strike is also a joke to take damage from assuming he isn't RIGHT ON YOU, but even then you can shield bash it and take no damage at all.

Still, my mistake for calling him easy. I know, just because I myself can do something doesn't mean everyone else can, and the converse is true as well.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
If you know how to be very patient and use the shield and/or dodging moves, he's ridiculously easy. If you just go in there and hack away, he's ridiculously hard. Especially in Hero Mode. He may not take off as much damage as you'd expect in the normal quest, but his hits can add up (namely in a 6 heart challenge). He's one of those bosses who's difficulty depends on how the player approaches him. If you can't read and react while trying to attack repeatedly, you will die without question. That's what makes him so different. He's not your average boss that has a general set difficulty level. Demise is the poster child for difficulty being in the eye of the beholder. So, to answer the question...no. He was not a disappointment to me.

LinkPTY

Skyward Wiimote
Hell no! When you see the actual form of Demise you know sh*t just got serious. He looks so badass with that flaming red hair and even with that skirt. The scenery and the battle itselft were epic. The only thing that I didn't like is that it was too short.

Regarding difficulty he's not easy at all (he killed me once, I didn't have any potions on me). I haven't beat him yet in Hero Mode so I'll have to see how difficult he is there.

C

Croxyndorf

very true, the atmosphere for the fight was fantastic and being able to use lightning was awesome too, but overall he was easier to beat than ganondorf in tp and ganondorf was brutally easy. demise is so easy in fact that people can beat him in under 40 seconds, now that's shameful for a final boss.

S

Skelington

Kind of. But i still enjoyed the fight. I wish the ultimate evil in the entire series had a much longer and harder fight, but meh.

N

Neltar

As I said in the shield bash thread, I didn't take any damage on my first encounter with Demise. This was because with the shield bash method you could beat him ridiculously easily, as with many other enemies throughout the game. Haven't really been back to fight him without my shield (or in hero mode for that matter) but it seems silly they allowed shield bashes to work so effectively given this should have been the hardest encounter in the game.

The story was in my opinion good, although as is popularly the consensus, I believe Demise should have been introduced in his true form - not just as some beast who doesn't speak a word - far earlier than he was. Either that or they should have re-worked how the final boss encounter with Ghirahim and Demise. Maybe merging them would have provided both a greater challenge and, with a little bit of storyline tweaking to get there, a better ending both game play and storyline wise.

I did however love the speech before the fight began and the scenery was brilliant. It reminded me of Dark Link's room in The Water Temple in OOT, its a shame the difficulty wasn't quite up there along side it.

D

DeusEx404

As much as I loved Skyward Sword, I'll admit the final boss was a bit of a disappointment. That isn't to say it wasn't amazingly epic.

B

Belvin

First post - I've been a reader for awhile, and I'm excited to join!

The focus of SS was sword/shield technique. Usually Zelda boss battles require the player to use the dungeon-item to attack the boss's weak spot; while this was occasionally true (Scaldera, Koloktos, Tentalus), fights with some mini-bosses, Molderach, Ghirahim, and Demise himself require NO items. Items were integral to progress through the puzzles and environments, but most battles, even with basic enemies, required skill with the sword/shield mechanic.

Demise is easy/hard based on a player's style with the fighting technology. If the player can shield bash, he can get in close and personal. If he can't so much, he stands back and dodges, using the Skyward Strike (which is what I ended up doing after bashing got me killed). Nintendo put its "final boss" chips all-in with its sword/shield mechanic, and it has produced the kind of fights that REAL sword/shield conflicts are. TP had to nerf Ganondorf's sword in order to make the battle longer - think Obi-Wan and Anakin (which was ridiculous and milked beyond belief). But a more realistic sword fight would be fast, messy, and possibly brutal. The first time I met Demise, I got my behind handed to me -- FAST. Then, I re-equipped and came up with a new strategy, and handed it back to Demise, just as quickly.

While I wanted more from the Demise battle, I appreciate its raw violence -- in a Zelda game that featured harder fights, it was appropriate. Not every game can end like a Final Fantasy epic, nor can every game end as perfectly as OoT.

As much as I love the game, I felt that Ghirahim's final battle was more challenging than Demise....

H3roOfTime

Hero of Time
i wish Demise was longer and a little more challenging...like TP's final boss battle... THREE PARTS! that was fun! but yeah if they made his boss battle longer and more challenging it would have been a lot more fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom