• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Was Metriod: Other M a Disappointment

Gyorg Hater

I speak fluent gibberish
So i've been playing Other M for a couple days now and i've noticed that it doesn't really seem like a Metriod game. It doesn't give me that alone feeling anymore. I also think that the parts in the game that force you to stay in one position and search for an extremely hard clue to find are totally ridiculous. But other than that, the combat is great, the graphics are amazing, and the cutscenes are fantastic.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
D

Dud-a-Chum?

Apparently, the feminists hate it. But they hate it for its story, not the gameplay. Everybody else who realizes it's just a video game seems to really enjoy it. I cannot say myself, because I have yet to buy it (Only recently acquired a Wii). But I'm sure it won't disappoint me. ;)

Yes. I cried every time Samus talked. I cried because she was actually a character, not an emotionless block of wood. I cried because there was a story, instead of mindless wandering around without a clear objective. I cried because, god forbid, they tried something new instead of sticking to the same formula we've had for 20 years. I cried because there was more action oriented gameplay. I cried because it wasn't true 2D. I cried because the power up system was lame. I cried because the game was actually hard. I cried because I couldn't get health and ammo from enemies. I cried because Kraid wasn't there. I cried because it wasn't a Prime title. I cried because it wasn't Super Metroid. I cried because it didn't "feel" right.

Trolling aside, no, I wasn't disappointed at all. I got exactly what I was expecting; a fresh new look on a legendary series that has the opportunity to be something more than other 1st party Nintendo games. The series evolved with this installment, leaving behind those who are still stuck in 94 clinging to their SNES, which I think is a good thing because those guys were getting pretty damn annoying. I got actual emotion from this game, a story that trumps the rest of the titles because it's actually conveyed in other ways that blocks of text and faceless expressions, excellent connections between Super and Fusion, killer game play that series should stick with from now until forever, and actually difficulty that I didn't have to change modes for. My third favorite Metroid game of all time, which is saying something since Metroid is also my favorite series.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Vergo, I'm all for progression; I'm all for new directions. I liked the prospect and intentions of Other M, but I don't feel that they did it with much consistency to the rest of the series. Progression is based off of expanding from one's prior experiments; a lot of the time though, there was less expansion on these successes and more of a pseudo-abandonment. People wanted to see Samus fleshed out as a character, but I felt that Team Ninja and Sakamoto decided to go opposite the direction that made Samus such an appealing character in the first place.

Samus had been a character enshrouded in mystery, and that is part of what made her what she is today. If they had been so intent on consistency and connectivity with the rest of the franchise, then why does Samus act completely different from the rest of the series? A lot of this I blame on the script. Sure, I appreciated that Samus told us how she felt about relevant issues to the plot, but chiming in on every little detail of things that were irrelevant in that monotonous voice really started to bug me. Metroid had been a series whose staple was atmosphere, and I felt that some of these monologues really dealt a big blow to the suspense and mystery of the game. That's not to say I hated them all; some of them were very enjoyable. I liked most of the flashback cut scenes, and I felt that these were great additions to the plot. Most of these fit the Samus I had grown to love; in all the flashbacks, she questioned Adam's decisions and tried to be the hero. Why is it that as soon as the events of Other M start that she decides to become entirely subservient to Adam's motives? The scene where Adam decides to head off into Sector Zero by himself and Samus tries to stop him is a good exception of this, where we see Samus remain consistent with her roots and original character (save for the fact that she is in her Zero Suit for some reason, which is a stereotypical Team Ninja decision making Samus look like a tart for actually serious and pivotal moments in the game :dry:). I enjoyed the emotion showed in this scene, and I enjoyed the plot details and throwbacks to some of the flashbacks, and the throw (forwards?) to Metroid Fusion.
I largely enjoyed the plot, especially the fact that it turned into an Agatha Christie novel about halfway through :lol:. I felt that a lot of the problems with the plot lie more in its execution rather than the plot itself; I like the notion that it tries to take an emotional turn, (which is great in concept) but a lot of the time it felt like they had overdone it and pushed certain parts of the game into the hokey and the melodramatic. If they had toned it down a little bit, I feel that I probably would have very little qualms with the story at all. It may just be me, but I absolutely loathe it when something becomes overly melodramatic, and others may have a higher tolerance for it. I suppose my biggest problem with the story is that certain parts of it tried a little too hard, and started to become infused with melodrama; otherwise, I felt the story would have been absolutely brilliant, had they shown more restraint. Essentially, I take the stance that subtlety is a lot more powerful, and sometimes the game had lost that sense of subtlety.

Now, the game play. I had no qualms with the first-person to 2D perspective addition; I found that very interesting and a great addition to the game play. One thing that I didn't like about it was that it didn't allow you to fire missiles outside of that mode, which I felt reduced a lot of the 2D combat to just mashing the B button and spamming the left/right button to do the sense-move. By the end of the game, combat started to become monotonous, because I never had to resort to using the morph ball, or even those interesting little finishing moves that were so useful in the beginning. The beam would just kill everything in sight, because it could damage everything. I killed everything in a few hits, and I often killed things before I could even use the first-person mechanic, let alone morph ball or finishing moves. I feel what really exemplifies this is the last boss in the game (the boss you face after beating the game); to beat it, all I had to do was charge my beam and spam the sense-move the entire time. I beat this boss only taking about 3 energy tanks worth of damage, and I never needed to change my strategy for the entire boss fight.
However, this was not always the case. By and large, the boss fights in this game were superb. They posed a good amount of difficulty and were very epic in feel. They made me feel like I was hanging on by a thread, which is essential to the Metroid "feel." The best example of this was the Ridley boss battle. It was challenging, the cut scenes were beautiful and it added a great addition to the story. The boss required me to change my strategy several times throughout the battle, which is something I like to see. There were excellent plot developments that really added to the tense nature of the battle. Now, a lot of people have criticized this boss battle at the point where it shows Samus as a little girl cowering, saying it makes Samus look weak. This is one such instance where I felt that portraying a "weak"
side of Samus wasn't uncalled for; I'd gawk for a while too at the thing that brutally killed my parents and destroyed my home. It's not physical fear, but rather a more psychological one. I felt that that is the only kind of fear we should see in Samus, and I felt that they hit it out of the ballpark in this aspect.

Now, returning to atmosphere. A lot of the original appeal of Metroid was its non-linearity and suspenseful atmosphere. Its aspect of solitude was an excellent way of reflecting Samus the character. Unfortunately, the non-linearity of Other M detracted from the suspense of being lost in a cave, of being a lone wolf; the fact that locked doors would stop Samus from completing her mission in the most effective way possible was absurd, and only exacerbated the prior feeling of subservience to Adam. Sure, Adam is meant to be shown as a taskmaster and a slave to protocol, but it is not in Samus' nature to do so, as well. All the other Metroid games have centered around the idea of non-ideal situations, in which things block your path, causing you to find an alternate route. There was little to none of this in Other M, which really detracted from the sense of Samus' willpower and drive to get things done. It was the chemistry between Samus' disregard for order and Adam's subservience to it that made their conflicting decisions so interesting in Fusion, and it befuddled me as to why they would decide to tap into this only about 2/3 into the game. Why wait? It seemed like a missed opportunity.
Now, collecting energy capsules and ammunition may seem irrelevant at first glance, but when you think about it, these have really been an integral part of the suspense and atmosphere in Metroid's past. Part of the appeal was that you had to fight for survival, and it felt like you were hanging onto a thread for most of the game, because you had to risk your life to gain more life, so you could continue to survive. The fact that I could just restore some of my health and ammunition when I was almost dead was completely anti-climactic, and it made a lot of the combat seem uninteresting because I knew that I could almost always escape death with the push of a button. The near-death experience is something truly invigorating, and it has a great adrenaline rush; why would they decide to remove the prevalence of this feature? Once again, I felt that this detracted from the atmosphere.
Lastly, in regards to gaining new abilities; my primary concern with this issue was not that it implied Samus' subservience to Adam, it was more the fact that it gave an excuse for the developers to make the game entirely linear. Having to design new challenges and make you explore and back-track, looking for a way to overcome a seemingly insurmountable obstacle was also part of Metroid; Team Ninja opted to take the easy way out, and decided that they would rather not have Samus have to work to overcome these obstacles, and merely be granted the ability to overcome them immediately upon having failing to succeed one time. This took away the necessity for exploration and discovery, and needing to use your wits to find away around a problem. You were immediately granted the answer to every solution, rather than having to use your other skill sets to improve yourself. As a result, this made a lot of the power-ups seem obsolete or unnecessary, because you rarely had to use them to acquire new abilities, and they were only really necessary for fighting certain bosses and enemies. Again, this felt very anti-climactic, because you would always run into a new area knowing that you would always overcome obstacles with relative ease. This made me feel less intimated by the game, and given that a staple of this game is its suspense, I don't think that this should be considered a good thing.

Now, don't jump to the conclusion that I felt that it was a bad game. I'm hoping that Nintendo will use this as a learning experience and realize what works for Metroid and what doesn't, and realize the importance of subtlety, so that they can gradually ease emotion into the game, and not dive head-first into melodrama unprepared. The story was excellent, but I hope that they learned that, while story and emotion are great contributions, they are for naught if they don't have a subtle or elegant implementation. Was Other M a disappointment? Perhaps. Was Other M a bad game? Not by any stretch. It is important that they experiment so that they learn to use just the right amount of certain elements, so they can further the series without seeming that they tried a little too hard.
It is certainly an important game in the franchise, and it was a step in the right direction. However, I think that it may have felt that it was more of a leap, causing them to bound over what would have otherwise been just the right level of change. Still, I very much enjoyed the game, and I hope they can use what they've learned to continue to improve the series.

Last edited:
Vergo, I'm all for progression; I'm all for new directions. I liked the prospect and intentions of Other M, but I don't feel that they did it with much consistency to the rest of the series. Progression is based off of expanding from one's prior experiments; a lot of the time though, there was less expansion on these successes and more of a pseudo-abandonment. People wanted to see Samus fleshed out as a character, but I felt that Team Ninja and Sakamoto decided to go opposite the direction that made Samus such an appealing character in the first place.

Samus had been a character enshrouded in mystery, and that is part of what made her what she is today. If they had been so intent on consistency and connectivity with the rest of the franchise, then why does Samus act completely different from the rest of the series? A lot of this I blame on the script. Sure, I appreciated that Samus told us how she felt about relevant issues to the plot, but chiming in on every little detail of things that were irrelevant in that monotonous voice really started to bug me. Metroid had been a series whose staple was atmosphere, and I felt that some of these monologues really dealt a big blow to the suspense and mystery of the game. That's not to say I hated them all; some of them were very enjoyable. I liked most of the flashback cut scenes, and I felt that these were great additions to the plot. Most of these fit the Samus I had grown to love; in all the flashbacks, she questioned Adam's decisions and tried to be the hero. Why is it that as soon as the events of Other M start that she decides to become entirely subservient to Adam's motives? The scene where Adam decides to head off into Sector Zero by himself and Samus tries to stop him is a good exception of this, where we see Samus remain consistent with her roots and original character (save for the fact that she is in her Zero Suit for some reason, which is a stereotypical Team Ninja decision making Samus look like a tart for actually serious and pivotal moments in the game :dry:). I enjoyed the emotion showed in this scene, and I enjoyed the plot details and throwbacks to some of the flashbacks, and the throw (forwards?) to Metroid Fusion.

Your first two paragraphs seemed to be intertwined, so I’ll combine them both to address them. You mention that the game might have somehow driven away the attractive points of Samus’ character. But however, in reality, these were nonexistent. The features that you seem to think made Samus appealing is actually just the unknown darkness that surrounded her character. It wasn’t the attributes of her character at all; it was merely the fact that we didn’t know what they were. In all honestly, I would go as far as to say that we had never gotten a true glimpse into Samus’ true character until this game, therefor we cannot judge by her character in previous games, because it was simply not there. I guess you can then go to that Samus was better without a personality, which I can then bring in my evolution argument to where it’s incredibly nice that we’re actually seeing her as a character this time, not a mere avatar of the player, which presents a world to where we were introduced to the true Samus character. So if character attributes cannot contradict, then you must default to the script added in, like you claim to do, such as the fact that Samus acts differently from the rest of the series. I would like to ask you how this is. Fusion was incredibly similar to the monologues of Other M, but you don’t really delve deeper into that. Instead you go on to how Samus seemed to be “thinking” about more seemingly meaningless issues, something that Fusion arguably didn’t have. I would, again, like to ask for an example of this, as I can’t recall one. Seemingly useless at first was the “Little Birdie” comments, but we do all know how THAT one turned out. Even if I grant you 100% that the monologues were somewhat useless, I still can’t see the link to your core argument of contradiction. If anything, it strengthens its ties to Fusion, which would inherently link it to the likes of super Metroid and the rest of the series. You can cross-apply my argument that no true character contradictions were made. You also touch on the monotonous voice, which surprises me. If I humor you and count the unknown fact as an actual part of Samus’ character, then I think you would say monotony would be what to expect from Samus. A wooden character deserves a wooden voice no? To your next point, I’m glad we can agree on the flash back cutscenes; the perfectly fit how she used to be. Keyword used. You point out another contradiction, but you fail to delve deeper into the fact of Samus’ maturity throughout the series. This surprises me as well, since it seems to contradict your argument of wanting Samus to be an unknown enigma; I don’t see how the flashbacks could fit Samus is we knew nothing about her (unless, of course, you “imagined” it, which sadly can’t be counted as a universal here). Going back to the maturity factor, I’m positive it was her past experiences and her now developed respect for Adam. It would make sense that having now been in his position for so long, she would now understand and respect his motives and decisions, which would lead to her obeying him and …. Respecting his wishes. For the last point of your two paragraphs, you mention her “roots and original character”. Cross apply my argument that these were non-existant, and also cross apply my critique of the “imagination” factor of a character, and how that cannot be applied here if that’s your way of thinking.

I largely enjoyed the plot, especially the fact that it turned into an Agatha Christie novel about halfway through :lol:. I felt that a lot of the problems with the plot lie more in its execution rather than the plot itself; I like the notion that it tries to take an emotional turn, (which is great in concept) but a lot of the time it felt like they had overdone it and pushed certain parts of the game into the hokey and the melodramatic. If they had toned it down a little bit, I feel that I probably would have very little qualms with the story at all. It may just be me, but I absolutely loathe it when something becomes overly melodramatic, and others may have a higher tolerance for it. I suppose my biggest problem with the story is that certain parts of it tried a little too hard, and started to become infused with melodrama; otherwise, I felt the story would have been absolutely brilliant, had they shown more restraint. Essentially, I take the stance that subtlety is a lot more powerful, and sometimes the game had lost that sense of subtlety.

Your next paragraph focuses on story; forgive me for having not read a “Agatha Christie novel” before. Your key point here seems to be “melodrama”, which I will as with my above answer ask for a link and example. The Sector Zero scene is the only one that possibly comes to mind when it comes to over the top emotion, and since it was single in its feature, I fail to see how your argument can be applied across the entire game board. You’ve already said you enjoyed the flashback cutscenes, which in reality made up for most of the drama and emotion. Adam sending his brother to his death, Samus as a young child being encountered by Ridley, and Samus discovering the Baby Metroid at the end of Metroid II, among a few others fit this subpoint rather well.. If you can’t count these scenes along with the Sector Zero scene, I would again like a link and example to some other scene which was “melodrama” as you put it. Your next point is “trying too hard”, but you can cross apply my argument from above with this, because it links very well into your “melodrama” argument. Subtly power seems to be the last thing here, which I fail to see an example for either. If you’re talking about ominous foreshadowing, then yes, I see where you’re coming from completely. However, Other M featured this in enormous amounts, namely with Ridley and the inevitable buildup that was present for the vast majority of the game. Ominous foreshadowing aside, I don’t see how subtly power can overcome raw emotion from scenes such as the Sector Zero scene.

Now, the game play. I had no qualms with the first-person to 2D perspective addition; I found that very interesting and a great addition to the game play. One thing that I didn't like about it was that it didn't allow you to fire missiles outside of that mode, which I felt reduced a lot of the 2D combat to just mashing the B button and spamming the left/right button to do the sense-move. By the end of the game, combat started become monotonous, because I never had to resort to using the morph ball, or even those interesting little finishing moves that were so useful in the beginning. The beam would just kill everything in sight, because it could damage everything. I killed everything in a few hits, and I often killed things before I could even use the first-person mechanic, let alone morph ball or finishing moves. I feel what really exemplifies this is the last boss in the game (the boss you face after beating the game); to beat it, all I had to do was charge my beam and spam the sense-move the entire time. I beat this boss only taking about 3 energy tanks worth of damage, and I never needed to change my strategy for the entire boss fight.
However, this was not always the case. By and large, the boss fights in this game were superb. They posed a good amount of difficulty and were very epic in feel. They made me feel like I was hanging on by a thread, which is essential to the Metroid "feel." The best example of this was the Ridley boss battle. It was challenging, the cut scenes were beautiful and it added a great addition to the story. The boss required me to change my strategy several times throughout the battle, which is something I like to see. There were excellent plot developments that really added to the tense nature of the battle. Now, a lot of people have criticized this boss battle at the point where it shows Samus as a little girl cowering, saying it makes Samus look weak. This is one such instance where I felt that portraying a "weak"
side of Samus wasn't uncalled for; I'd gawk for a while too at the thing that brutally killed my parents and destroyed my home. It's not physical fear, but rather a more psychological one. I felt that that is the only kind of fear we should see in Samus, and I felt that they hit it out of the ballpark in this aspect.

I can’t quite understand your game play paragraph. Is it truly the lack of missiles in third person mode, or is it just a difficulty argument? I think you were leaning more towards the latter, because being able to fire missiles in third person mode would have empowered the latter by quite a bit. You mainly critique the new “sensimove” feature it looks like, which I think a tradeoff argument is in place for. The straying away from health pickups seems to fill this void and justify the new ability to dodge a select number of attacks (keyword select). If anything the ability to not heal would add to the atmosphere (which I’ll address in your paragraph below) that you seem to love so much, which would be just you, the gun, and a red meter flashing. Transitive makes sense here, that in order to achieve the atmosphere you love so much a way to make it feel more real and intimate was to remove the one thing keeping you alive, which would then tradeoff to the sensimove so that the game was actually beatable. In the event that you feel the sensimove wasn’t necessary, I applaud you; you must have lightning quick reflexes and far better skills than I to be able to navigate through some of the minibosses without that feature. You then make the argument that end game was too easy. Please, look towards post-Ridley in Super Metroid and tell me what you see. I see myself with the Spin Attack balazing through everything without a problem, same as Other M. I could go as far to say that that’s how it’s SUPPOSED to be towards the final boss. However, if you want to counter that argument by saying you found post-Ridley in Super still hard, I’ll see a contradiction between your skills in Other M endgame and Super endgame. Difficulty seems to take charge in the rest of your paragraph, but I feel this is arbitrary and not worth discussing to be honest; not much can be said on the skill from gamer to gamer. I’m glad we agree that the impact Ridley had on Samus was executed perfectly; it was a key point that I felt really made the game and contributed to her character.

Now, returning to atmosphere. A lot of the original appeal of Metroid was its non-linearity and suspenseful atmosphere. Its aspect of solitude was an excellent way of reflecting Samus the character. Unfortunately, the non-linearity of Other M detracted from the suspense of being lost in a cave, of being a lone wolf; the fact that locked doors would stop Samus from completing her mission in the most effective way possible was absurd, and only exacerbated the prior feeling of subservience to Adam. Sure, Adam is meant to be shown as a taskmaster and a slave to protocol, but it is not in Samus' nature to do so, as well. All the other Metroid games have centered around the idea of non-ideal situations, in which things block your path, causing you to find an alternate route. There was little to none of this in Other M, which really detracted from the sense of Samus' willpower and drive to get things done. It was the chemistry between Samus' disregard for order and Adam's subservience to it that made their conflicting decisions so interesting in Fusion, and it befuddled me as to why they would decide to tap into this only about 2/3 into the game. Why wait? It seemed like a missed opportunity.
Now, collecting energy capsules and ammunition may seem irrelevant at first glance, but when you think about it, these have really been an integral part of the suspense and atmosphere in Metroid's past. Part of the appeal was that you had to fight for survival, and it felt like you were hanging onto a thread for most of the game, because you had to risk your life to gain more life, so you could continue to survive. The fact that I could just restore some of my health and ammunition when I was almost dead was completely anti-climactic, and it made a lot of the combat seem uninteresting because I knew that I could almost always escape death with the push of a button. The near-death experience is something truly invigorating, and it has a great adrenaline rush; why would they decide to remove the prevalence of this feature? Once again, I felt that this detracted from the atmosphere.

The next topic is purely atmosphere it would seem, but it looks like you mixed in more of Samus’ character how it may link into it, which I don’t see as possible. You point out that somehow being “locked in” and “lone wolf” somehow links directly into an atmosphere. As with the other flaws I’ve seen thus far, I don’t see a link here. You mean to tell me you never felt as if you were alone, as if you were the last one there in a massive unknown ship. This especially takes root when you lose contact with Adam, and the majority of the Galactic Federation team is dead. It’s even arguable that this feeling is present even before then, but since you don’t seem to mention specifics, I won’t go into that. The first part of your argument seems more perception based, while the second part is more gameplay based. Perception is above, but gameplay seems to be flawed as well. The idea of a straight path, sadly, has been present long before Other M. It can be seen as early as Prime 2, followed slowly but surely but Zero Mission, Prime 3, and Fusion. Unless you’re now critiquing the series in general instead of just Other M, I don’t see how it applied. Your point also seems to stray from just perception based alone-ness (for lack of a better term) and more into gameplay, in which you can cross apply my paragraph from above. You then kind of half-apply the argument of the Samus/Adam relationship, but this seems redundant since you made that point in one of your other paragraphs. Cross apply my argument of how the maturity factor came into play, how Samus began to see Adam’s point of view and just why he did what he did and why it was necessary along with the best option that was there. Interestedly, the last part of this paragraph fascinates me. You’re basically agreeing with the perception based transitivity of the lack of health pick up-sensimove feature, which proves my point for the existence of sensimove in the first place. I guess I fully agree with the last part of this point.

Lastly, in regards to gaining new abilities; my primary concern with this issue was not that it implied Samus' subservience to Adam, it was more the fact that it gave an excuse for the developers to make the game entirely linear. Having to design new challenges and make you explore and back-track, looking for a way to overcome a seemingly insurmountable obstacle was also part of Metroid; Team Ninja opted to take the easy way out, and decided that they would rather not have Samus have to work to overcome these obstacles, and merely be granted the ability to overcome them immediately upon having failing to succeed one time. This took away the necessity for exploration and discovery, and needing to use your wits to find away around a problem. You were immediately granted the answer to every solution, rather than having to use your other skill sets to improve yourself. As a result, this made a lot of the power-ups seem obsolete or unnecessary, because you rarely had to use them to acquire new abilities, and they were only really necessary for fighting certain bosses and enemies. Again, this felt very anti-climactic, because you would always run into a new area knowing that you would always overcome obstacles with relative ease. This made me feel less intimated by the game, and given that a staple of this game is its suspense, I don't think that this should be considered a good thing.

The last point you make is a good one, and I’m glad you don’t challenge it on a game level. Challenging it on a developer level is much smarter. I wondered about this one myself for the longest time, and could come to only one conclusion; that they were tired of lame excuses for equipment. You can only do this so many times before it becomes like Zelda and you just know what to expect as arbitrary content. However, I can’t speak on behalf of the developers. But, you disappoint me in bringing up perception based arguments once again, something I believe to be rather weak when it comes to the mindset of the developers and how no real ground can be gained without specific input from them. Like your second paragraph, I’m finding it a bit confusing to see where you’re going with perception-based, but I believe your last point “intimidation of the game” might be what it all ties into, or perhaps the exploration factor. Since I understand where you’re going with more for the latter, I’ll stick with that. As in the third paragraph, I’ll stick with trade-off and the massive nature of the Bottle Ship. This also kind of ties in with the last part of my third paragraph, that exploration was always on the edge because of an unknown factor edging on each new area. The only way I can see your point working is if you somehow win that exploration stems directly from the discovery and use of power-ups, which I simply just do not see you doing. I’ll put offence up by saying that Other M’s exploration compensates for non-linearity just because of the variety in scenery that it had, which it shares with mainly Prime in my mind. Is it enough to compensate for the supposed lack of exploration for items? I really do think so, because the argument that it doesn’t in the first place is rather sketchy.

Your last paragraph is more on summary and not points, so I won’t touch on it.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
There are 2 things I didn't like

1 The having to find a stupid clue to progress

SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

2. I didn't really get to fight MB!

SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I do like Other M as a whole, but a couple gameplay quirks in it bother me. I find the scanning sections annoying because they interrupt the otherwise fast pace. I also dislike the fact that you can recharge your health and missiles easily whenever you want (almost), which means the enemies no longer give you an incentive to kill them. No more health or missile pickups. The last thing that bothers me is its extreme linearity; the game locks doors often, so there's little exploration.

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
Well, there were a few things in Other M that I really liked. I thought that the gameplay was very smooth, comfortable, fast paced, and fun. The graphics really showcased the Wii's abilities, except for a few minor flaws. However, I do have some qualms about the overall game. There are some things about the metroid series that I think set it apart from many other games. It's depth, length, and difficulty were a few of these things. Also, the feeling that, you are alone, no one is going to help you, and your gonna have to go McGyver in order to get outta this alive. Chances are slim. But, the morph ball power you got gave you the ability to get through that tiny hole there, as well as a glimmer of hope to keep you going. Also, beautiful, memorable peices of music is sort of something I expect in a metroid game. Atmosphere is a big thing as well. Now, I never felt alone in Other M. I rarely had to McGyver my way outta this situation. Other M was short, easy, and could have definetly been deeper. Music was immemorable, if present at all. It did have a fantastically gloomy atmosphere, but not as awe-inspiring and exciting as there was for the metroid Prime series. It wasn't a bad game. In fact, if it was a third party, non-metroid game, I would have given it a 9/10 rating. But it is a bit too different from the metroid games I know and love. I know that isn't fair, but it's the truth, and I think that many would agree with me. I would say this: If Retro, makers of the Prime series, had teamed up with Team Ninja for this game, it could have been a truly historical game. But it isn't. That does not mean I do not like it; I think any fan of the metroid series should pick it up when prices drop. Just don't expect anything of the caliber of the Prime series.

Steve

5/19/13
The problem that many people who dislike it have, was essentially how "un-Metroid" it was. The game had a much deeper story, the gameplay was rather different, and the characters showed much more emotion. This is nothing uncommon to many gamers, but personally, I do not believe it is a justified opinion. Nothing defines a series for what it is, and what it should be, and it is mere foolishness to think so. If all games were alike there would be no diversity, and I myself find it annoying when they are similar, which is something I see constantly in series like The Legend of Zelda. Having that sort of variety keeps things fresh and allows for a more enjoyable experience because you're faced with situations you have not been in before. All-in-all, it just seems that much of this mass hatred is being sparked by Metroid fanboys who seem to think they know what they're talking about.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Frankly, I don't think it's appropriate to call other people out for their opinions of the game. No matter how much you disagree with them, you're just as right or just as wrong as they are. If people tend to think of certain traits when they think of a particular franchise, so be it; it's not anyone's responsibility to come in and say that "this is what I expect in a Metroid game," nor is it anyone's responsibility to say that such a notion is silly. What "makes" a game a "Metroid game" is different to certain people, and the notion of whether they think it relevant to their assessment of a game is their own right.
I resent being told that I don't know what I'm talking about, and I find the fact disconcerting that people are placing each other in different camps over such an issue and accusing other people's opinions. I thought what I thought of the game, and I will continue to do so. Some people liked the direction Other M took, and I think they may have gone overboard in certain areas, but that's just what I think. Lots of people liked that direction, and some people didn't. I actually liked a lot of the game, but I still remain critical of the game in areas where I felt it necessary. I liked the game enough that I'd give it a robust 8.5/10.

That's what I thought of the game, and that's that. Whatever other people think and say about the game is their opinion, too. In taking the last little bit of hypocrisy for myself, I don't think it's appropriate for anyone to have to come and defend or come and label someone's opinion a certain way from this point forward. Whatever people think about the game or whatever they say about the game they think or say for good reasoning.

Steve

5/19/13
Frankly, I don't think it's appropriate to call other people out for their opinions of the game. No matter how much you disagree with them, you're just as right or just as wrong as they are. If people tend to think of certain traits when they think of a particular franchise, so be it; it's not anyone's responsibility to come in and say that "this is what I expect in a Metroid game," nor is it anyone's responsibility to say that such a notion is silly. What "makes" a game a "Metroid game" is different to certain people, and the notion of whether they think it relevant to their assessment of a game is their own right.
I resent being told that I don't know what I'm talking about, and I find the fact disconcerting that people are placing each other in different camps over such an issue and accusing other people's opinions. I thought what I thought of the game, and I will continue to do so. Some people liked the direction Other M took, and I think they may have gone overboard in certain areas, but that's just what I think. Lots of people liked that direction, and some people didn't. I actually liked a lot of the game, but I still remain critical of the game in areas where I felt it necessary. I liked the game enough that I'd give it a robust 8.5/10.

That's what I thought of the game, and that's that. Whatever other people think and say about the game is their opinion, too. In taking the last little bit of hypocrisy for myself, I don't think it's appropriate for anyone to have to come and defend or come and label someone's opinion a certain way from this point forward. Whatever people think about the game or whatever they say about the game they think or say for good reasoning.
If I'm not mistaken I specifically stated that many, not all, disliked the game due to its format, and that is certainly an accurate statement. I was not calling out individual people, rather taking note of a certain group of people. So, I can understand that you misinterpreted what I said, but please don't put words in my mouth.

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
Personally, I think that it was a good thing that other M happened, just to show that the series CAN take such drastic turns. I did enjoy the game, but I think that it could definetly have been better. I would give it about a 7/10.Also, one thing that I forgot to say was that it surprises me that it was sort of a pet project by nintendo. it seems like nintendo would address some of the issues I had with the game if they were taking it so seriously. I dunno, I beat it, and I enjoyed it, but I'll never want to play it again. Sectors 1, 2, 3, and Zero never drew me in and want to keep coming back and finding out more about them like some places in other games, like Tallon Overworld, Skytown, or Magmoor Caverns. Also, sometimes I would see an awesome creature, like the tree beasts, and find out more about them, only to realize I had a virtually inexistant scan visor. I loved the depth portrayed in the prime games by adding all of the scan data that you could collect, and I was dissapointed when I found out that I could not scan anything. Again, I know that it's not as good because I'm comparing it to metroid games. But, c'mon, seriously, IT IS a metroid game, as well as a mainstream nintendo game, and I expect better quality games coming from such prestigious franchises and companies. It's a good game, but not good enough.

Other M was my most anticipated game of the year, and after playing it I have to say its a great game, but it could have been better. Storyline wise, the game is a disappointed. It truly disappointed me how the storyline is developed. I personally was very excited for M: OM storyline. To learn more about Samus past was something i truly looked forward to. But the game barely actually digs into Samus past. It leaves everything to vague and it never reveals things in a very deep and rich manner. We see Samus with Adam, but we never see them actually speaking or interacting. They never show us their relationship, instead, Samus only narrates and some images are shown. Also, none of her past with the Chozo is even mentioned! The other storyline that involved Samus and the Federation soldiers was good and pretty interesting. But for some reason, the game shows you all these cool interesting characters, and kills them without even developing them. But the way it does it its just insulting. K.G for instance, dies without saying nothing more than: "got it!". And he really looked cool! I wanted to learn who this guys were, what were there motivations and goals. At least some dialogue, but not even that. I don't know why did they decided to kill them like that. Also, i don't like how the game has no final boss battle! Instead theres just a cutscene.

But the gameplay was very good. i'm actually impressed how they were able to pull this out with just one remote. I love those finishing moves, despite they feel to automatic at times. And the atmosphere was on place... What bothers me is that the game has only three sectors. level design feels a little too generic and there is little room for exploration, in fact theres little to no room at all. Also, there are far too few puzzles. Most of the game is just kill enemies, go next room, kill more enemies, bumm, boss. It's not bad, but it doesnt feel as complex and creative ad other games. There's far too little strategy involved in everything, and plotting your course is no longer a top priority. Its also far to short, Metroid games are not that long, but since Prime, the games have become much longer. And I really like long games, not games that take just two days to finish.

I like Other M, I really do, but it just feels that they could have improved it more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom