• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

War of the Operating Systems

Choose an operating System you like

• Windows Xp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows Vista

• Windows 7

• Fedora

• Ubuntu

• Open Suse

• Mac OS X

• Apple

• Total voters

figthersword

Hylian Coward
I think windows XP is the best or should i say perfect operating system that have ever created. Why? because most of the applications including games and popular applications are fully compatible with Windows XP.

i was using windows xp before but now i have a macbook pro
i like the setup for it and i also like mac products,
some people find it harder to figure out stuff on macs than pc's
really i dont find it hard at all, its personall preferance tho.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
I choose Windows 7.

Why? It removes some old issues I've had with windows XP. And it's more efficient, more clean when you handle your desktop and the processing power is a little more complex and faster. I also prefer Mac, but I since it won't work with the normal standards that of Windows, I chose Windows 7 over it.

figthersword

Hylian Coward
I choose Windows 7.

Why? It removes some old issues I've had with windows XP. And it's more efficient, more clean when you handle your desktop and the processing power is a little more complex and faster. I also prefer Mac, but I since it won't work with the normal standards that of Windows, I chose Windows 7 over it.

Can you give some specific old issues that you have been encountered if you dont mind? :D because i want to over analyze between windows XP and windows 7.

I use OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" and it works wonderfully for me.

However, you do realize that "Apple" is not an operating system, right? That's the company that MAKES the operating system. Macintosh is the OS.

figthersword

Hylian Coward
I use OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" and it works wonderfully for me.

However, you do realize that "Apple" is not an operating system, right? That's the company that MAKES the operating system. Macintosh is the OS.

Wow i was shock! i've never thought that apple is not an operating system. Here in the Philippines majority of the filipinos who doesn't aware and dont care about the product of OS they considered apple as an OS and Macintosh is the Company.

I am actually a Vista Fan Girl.

No doubt there were flaws when it came to this operating system, but I think its attempt to become more 'Mac' like, was a step in the right direction for Microsoft. Yes, it had its flaws, such as deleting the audio driver every time Windows performed a routine update, or missing certain .dll files that were included in XP making most XP programs uncompatible with Vista, But there were also many things it did right

Sound Mixer: Amazing feature that allows you to pick what sound you want going through your headphones, what out of speakers, and what out of a USB device. It also allows you to individually change the volume of certain programs. For instance, having a skype call going, you can adjust skype's volume, and the volume of the game you are playing so you get the right balance without one overpowering the other.

Windows Mobility Center: Now perhaps being a mobile media junkie, I appriciate this feature more.. This application that came with Vista (I believe its been omitted from 7) Allows you to plug in a monitor or to a projecter and push a button and have the entire computer go into presentation mode, adjusting the settings that you would normally set your comp to for a presentation. (Special Wallpaper, certain sound options, change resolution, monitor display options ect...) To make presenting on the go far more easy then it used to be... For example in XP you had to do each thing individually (right mouse click from desktop>display>resoultion>attach monitor) ect... Mobility center made this far more easy.

UAC - User Authoriziation Control... Prolly the best thing in virus protection without having virus protection on your computer... This is the annoying little box that comes up asking you to approve the application being downloaded on to your computer. Since the UAC was introducted, I have not downloaded a single virus. Because NOTHING can download without my permission. It also alerts you anytime something is making a change to the settings. This makes it less likey for things to be downloaded without your permission, keeping your computer overall functioning better.

Start Menu Search Bar: Second most best thing about vista. Being able to press start and start typing... ANYTHING an application, a file name to a document you were working on, a picture, folder name, ect.... And having it pop up... No more searching through menus, everything is brought to you, saving you time and energy, and fustration.

I loved vista, and after a year of updates, it was functioning the way it needed to, no doubt it was released a prematurely, but it wasn't a bad program in the slightest. My qualms with 7 is that it fixed the flaws from vista, but in the process took out some of the better parts of vista too.

figthersword

Hylian Coward
I am actually a Vista Fan Girl.

Sound Mixer: Amazing feature that allows you to pick what sound you want going through your headphones, what out of speakers, and what out of a USB device. It also allows you to individually change the volume of certain programs. For instance, having a skype call going, you can adjust skype's volume, and the volume of the game you are playing so you get the right balance without one overpowering the other.

Windows Mobility Center: Now perhaps being a mobile media junkie, I appriciate this feature more.. This application that came with Vista (I believe its been omitted from 7) Allows you to plug in a monitor or to a projecter and push a button and have the entire computer go into presentation mode, adjusting the settings that you would normally set your comp to for a presentation. (Special Wallpaper, certain sound options, change resolution, monitor display options ect...) To make presenting on the go far more easy then it used to be... For example in XP you had to do each thing individually (right mouse click from desktop>display>resoultion>attach monitor) ect... Mobility center made this far more easy.

UAC - User Authoriziation Control... Prolly the best thing in virus protection without having virus protection on your computer... This is the annoying little box that comes up asking you to approve the application being downloaded on to your computer. Since the UAC was introducted, I have not downloaded a single virus. Because NOTHING can download without my permission. It also alerts you anytime something is making a change to the settings. This makes it less likey for things to be downloaded without your permission, keeping your computer overall functioning better.

Start Menu Search Bar: Second most best thing about vista. Being able to press start and start typing... ANYTHING an application, a file name to a document you were working on, a picture, folder name, ect.... And having it pop up... No more searching through menus, everything is brought to you, saving you time and energy, and fustration.

Wow you've given the specific features you like in the operating system, it's fully detailed and straight to the point. Most of my batch mates here in our school same reasons just like what you have said, However rich students in our classroom they like apple because they feel that there in to the latest OS today.

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
I switched over from a PC to a Mac about 3 years ago, both desktops. I've come to like the Mac more... Personally, I like the fluid navigation, the displays, layout, and aesthetics, its usefulness for the art field, and honestly, the better experiences I've had with their tech support. My school is pretty much completely Mac-based, so its a matter of convenience for me. I work with Photoshop, Illustrator, or InDesign nearly every day, and I favor them on Macs anyway. The cover-flow display is very useful when I'm reviewing portfolio spreads outside of a program. It's not a flawless OS, of course. The gaming is meek at best, and it can sometimes be annoying to know that if I ever felt like revisiting old computer games like the Tycoon series or the Sims, their cost is ridiculously high. I don't have too much of an issue with the high price of Macs themselves, since I think that it's really only the laptops that are too expensive. As for myself, I received a 20" Mac desktop and I believe it cost somewhere around $1200 which isn't too steep. I MUCH prefer desktops over laptops anyway, mostly due to the fact that I get a larger display for much less money, and because I have no need to take my computer anywhere.

While I'm a big patron of Apple, products, I will admit that I usually hate their advertising campaigns. I think they're pretentious, uninformative, and stereotypical. Thank goodness we don't see much of those "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" commercials much anymore. They were snarky, and spent more time bashing the business competition than talking about the pros of the product. Not to mention, the two characters were totally overblown representations of the customer base. They make it seem like the only people that use Macs are cool, hipster-type 20-somethings. My Dad is in his late 50's and has been using Macintosh for music/audio production since they came on the market. People get so wrapped up in Mac vs. PC it gets a little out of hand sometimes. One friend of mine on Facebook posted a huge chart of "Why PC is Better Than Mac", with a comment underneath saying, "Macs are for people who do not know how to use computers, and are willing to spend thousands of dollars to justify their lack of technical knowledge." Seriously. That's just plain rude, especially for me.

...rant over. Anyways, I guess I could sum it up by saying I prefer Macs, because they're the standard for the industry I'll hopefully get a job in one day. I'm already fluent with the OS, so of course I'll like it better than others, but I couldn't care less if someone operates on an OS different from mine, and I certainly won't chastise them for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom