• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Voice Acting

Ikana

Trollkastel
Why do people complain about that.If there was voice acting it would just be plain awkward to me but hey that's my opinion.My vote goes to no I don't want voice acting

Jesper

I am baaacccckkkk
Why the **** to people complain? Don't they know how to read? And voice-acting would only ruin the franchise's cutscenes IMO...

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
It also kind of takes away from the player experience for me since I always liked imagining the sound and tone of the characters' voices for myself. To have a specific tone of voice given by voice acting would ruin the experience. I've always hated voice acting in video games since vocal dialogue comes with connotations from the tone, speed, and manner the character uses to speak. Slight differences in tone have vastly different connotations which can change the entire mood of a scene. While typically a good thing, it also ruins some of the mystery that I love about the Zelda series; ambiguous moods in dialogue leave the player to try to imagine what the characters are thinking, which really immerses me. That's my opinion anyways.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
I don't mind the current level of minimal voice communication that they've been using such as links groans, other characters little chuckles.
But, I would like the idea of of voice acting.
Would add something new to the franchise, would be revitalising.

No voice acting for Link whatsoever!!

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Wow, why is everyone so hardcore against voice acting or anyone who complains that there is none? Personally, I have always wanted the series to be voice acted. If anything, it adds more to imagination. Giving a character a voice to hear lets you delve into their personality that much more. Of course, I would not want Link to talk in any way except for his minor words and groans, but having everyone else talk would be awesome. I really don't understand why that hasn't been utilized yet. I know it's been mentioned that allowing voice acting could ruin the mood or confuse the player as to what the mood is but I think it's the exact opposite.

I may be alone on this, but there are multiple occasions where it took me multiple reads on a sentence to understand if something was supposed to come off as sarcastic or not. Voice acting would clear up issues such as "is this character mad/sad/happy/confused/sarcastic right now?"

I welcome the idea of voice acting with open arms.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Wow, why is everyone so hardcore against voice acting or anyone who complains that there is none? Personally, I have always wanted the series to be voice acted. If anything, it adds more to imagination. Giving a character a voice to hear lets you delve into their personality that much more. Of course, I would not want Link to talk in any way except for his minor words and groans, but having everyone else talk would be awesome. I really don't understand why that hasn't been utilized yet. I know it's been mentioned that allowing voice acting could ruin the mood or confuse the player as to what the mood is but I think it's the exact opposite.

I may be alone on this, but there are multiple occasions where it took me multiple reads on a sentence to understand if something was supposed to come off as sarcastic or not. Voice acting would clear up issues such as "is this character mad/sad/happy/confused/sarcastic right now?"

I welcome the idea of voice acting with open arms.

I think the reason people are against voice acting at this time is because of how people don't want something like the cartoon (which had decent voice acting for everyone who wasn't Link) or the CD-I. There is also the fact that people like to make the voices in their heads and sometimes feel that it'd be ruined by voice actors.

I welcome voice acting with open arms, it is a way to the future, plus reading from text alone loses a sense of emotion at times. Body language does help though.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

leftyrock91

I don't think voice acting would be that bad. Sometimes when i'm playing a Zelda game, it can get hard at times to tell who's talking. This has been mostly Wind Waker, but the problem does exist. It won't bother me if the next game has Voice acting or not. And i don't recall Nintendo wanting a part of those CD-I games. They didn't even want to get into using CDs at the time.

hsb39

Why so logical?
Mixed feelings. I think that in someways there should be some continuity issues that one needs to think of. Aren't they supposed to be speaking Hylian? And there are different variations. Remember how in WW they spoke the language spoke in OoT sometimes, that could only be understood on the second run through. Also the fact that people have to say something different for your name. For that reason I think that there should be voice acting in a "spoken Hylian", and then just one thing can be "your name" no matter what it is.

I really don't want voice acting for the characters. Especially the big three(Link, Zelda, and Ganon). When I read what the characters say, I imagine what they sound like in my head. And I know that if Nintendo gives Link, Zelda, and Ganon voices, that it won't meet my expectations.
And if there is voice acting in the next game, then I hope there will be a option to turn it off.

T

Twilight_Link

I'll support voice acting if it is a Legend of Zelda anime does everyone agreed with me?

CZG

To me, anime is like a CD-i game....

Really, like they would fit my imagination with voice acting.
New games from other (new) series... OK.
But don't make a character that has been mute for 20 years talk all of a sudden.

Have Link be mute and let others talk. Nah. Unlike me, lots of people disliked Navi already. You don't want her to talk for real do you... I like the Hey Listen! and the other small stuff, but I can't stand full speech.

Like they would give us a Japanese voice with English subtitles....
Ever seen a Japanese movie where they speak English? Name one that doesn't sound fake.
They will create an English or an American voice... Which is pretty bad, if you ask me....
Can you imagine Link coming from Texas or something?
It would be cool if it was Toon Link with a Lucky Luke twist or something..... But I'm not sure if cowboys are Zelda.

Would you want some fictional language? Should they be speaking Hylian, something you can understand, unless you like startrek od crap like that? It would only annoy me, based on what I know from movies and such. The voices in Avatar were even more annoying than the incredably basic story / character relations.

Voice acting? Buy a new game from a new francise on a new console... I'm hardcore AGAINST voice acting! And you are allowed to know that fact. Text boxes and the option to mute the characters IF they REALLY HAVE to make them speak. Videogames are no television programs or anything.

I want to make up my own voices. Or actually, I don't want to.
Why? Because they have no voice to me. I don't fancy that. My Link is not only mute in the game, he's mute in my head too! The textboxes are there to give me information on how to beat the game, not because the characters need to chat.

Sorry.

hsb39

Why so logical?
I would disagree about anime and Japanese things in general. Ever seen Wolf's Rain? The English voice actors are actually better there, Death Note wasn't too bad, and I thought Gantz was also good. I'm not too sure either about Hylian, it would give the fanboys (including me and most of this forum) something else to do, and it would act the same way with the subtitles being like the text. My biggest worry is Ganondorf, his laugh has always been made cool but I don't know how you could translate that into a voice.

Link 2 the past

Slashy Slashy
Anyone remember the voise acting in Super Mario Sunshine? It was terrible.

But anyway see two reasons why there would be nothing wrong in have voise acting. Firstly I don't think they would Link would be given a viose since we never see his text anyway. Second you would probably have the option to turn it off if you really wanted to.

As someone dyslexic, having to read all this text does annoy me. But then again the vioce acting in the CD-i games is also pretty annoyng, and a lot of people get annoyed at NPC wittering on when they just want to play the game, viose acting might make that even more annoying.

I also see one minor problem, what would the NPC say when it came to the name the player typed in at the start of the game?

Kazumi

chagy
I don't really know why people are hating on Voice Acting so much. I personally think that it would be a huge step forward for Zelda as a franchise, and for Nintendo as a whole. I feel that it would be the same huge important step that Team Ninja is taking with Metroid: Other M. It's cinematic, with full voice acting (Including Samus) and it delves deep into not only her back story, but the series as a whole. I really think that this is important.

And I don't think that it would ruin the series in any way. Sure, maybe Zelda doesn't sound like you thought or would have liked her to sound. Big whoop. Soon you will not even remember how you thought Zelda should sound, because Zelda actually has a sound now. Hell, I haven't even thought about what any of the characters sound like. I would like to know what they could sound like though.

I also think that Link should talk. And you should not have the option to change his name, like they did with FS/FSA. There is no point. Sure, maybe some fanboy will complain because he can't name Link something offensive or funny, but oh well. I really want them to bring out Link's character like they are doing with Samus. If I want a living, breathing Hyrule like the developers are trying to create with Zelda Wii, then I feel that there needs to be voice acting.

I also believe that a new found "maturity" with Metroid: Other M will really make people look at Nintendo in a better light. I mean, fans like us and other people will of course know that Nintendo isn't all Wii Music and shovelware, but that's what many other people think. And not just stupid fan boys, but also 3rd Party Developers. And it makes them not want to develop for the Wii because they think they can not succeed. Any way, I think it would really help if Zelda Wii made this cinematic and "mature" leap that Metroid is taking.

So, to sum everything up: I will be quite disappointed if Zelda Wii has no voice acting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom