• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

VikzeLink's Weekly Sunday Poll 618!

What is your favorite First Room of the OoT Dungeons?

• First Room Inside the Great Deku Tree

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • First Room in Dodongo's Cavern

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First Room Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly

• First Room in the Forest Temple

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • First Room in the Fire Temple

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • First Room in the Water Temple

• First Room in the Shadow Temple

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • First Room in the Spirit Temple

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • First Room in Ganon's Castle

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Last week's Question: The Legend of Zelda LEGO was recently announced! Is this something you're interested in?

Third Place: Sure, but I'm not going to seek it out, but should I happen upon it... (15.4%)
Second Place: Nah, not for me (30.8%)
First Place: Not really, but wouldn't say no being gifted it (38.5%)

People here on ZD doesn't seem to care that much about the Zelda-LEGO. But some of you guys wouldn't mind a gift ;)

This week's question: What is your favorite First Room of the OoT Dungeons?

First Room Inside the Great Deku Tree
First Room in Dodongo's Cavern
First Room Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly
First Room in the Forest Temple
First Room in the Fire Temple
First Room in the Water Temple
First Room in the Shadow Temple
First Room in the Spirit Temple
First Room in Ganon's Castle

The vibes in the first room of the Forest Temple are both cozy and unsettling (the unsettling ramps up when the Wolfos come to try and kill you)

Malon

I want a kitty!
Awww poor devil temple. No one loves it.

And I'm sure as heck not talking about the Shadow Temple. Screw Hellfire. Hellwater is the new thing.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
A bit surprised that enough people are picking the Shadow Temple. The first room in there is just a tiny hallway with a large pit that requires the Longshot to get past. Are people confusing it with the room outside the entrance with all the torches?

The first room inside the Deku Tree is almost the whole dungeon, and it's alright, but not my favorite.
The first room in Dodongo's Cavern is not very interesting, as it's kinda small and only features a couple of Bomb Flowers and a bombable wall.
The first room inside Jabu Jabu's Belly has a cool concept, I've always liked that you can see his teeth, but the room itself is nothing special.
The first room of the Forest Temple is really good, but I feel it could have been bigger, or grander rather. It just feels a bit too small and I feel like it would have been a lot cooler if it was of a larger scale.
The first room of the Fire Temple is my favorite here with the big staircase leading up the the shrine-looking thing with statues, very atmospheric to me!
The first room of the Water Temple is prettu much the same as the Deku Tree, but in reverse. In that dungeon you enter at the bottom, but here you enter at the top.
The first room of the Shadow Temple I already mentioned, it's just a tiny crooked hallway with a pit...
The first room of the Spirit Temple is another good one with the two serpent statues flanking the stairs. It's just too bad that there's not much going on at the top of the stairs. Would have been cool with some grand locked door.
And lastly Ganon's Castle. I'd put it somewhere in the middle. A long staricase going down towards a door flanked by Beamos with some bladetraps.

Those are my thoughts ^^

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I voted for the Deku Tree simply because of its importance and spectacle given the context of the game.

As the first fully fledged 3D game in the series, the first dungeon had to make a statement of some kind, which the Deku Tree absolutely does. From the moment you walk in, you're greeted with an intense sense of verticality not previously seen in the franchise, and even more verticality than many games at the time had accomplished. The room is massive with a towering ceiling and a gaping hole leading to an even more impressive basement. For the first dungeon showcasing what 3D Zelda could look like, it needed to impress and awe which, in 1998, I'm sure it certainly did.

While I think other dungeon first rooms have more aesthetic appeal, I had to vote for the Deku Tree due to the job it had to do and how well it accomplished that job. I think it's important to view this kind of thing from the lens of someone who may have grown up with retro top-down or side scrolling games and how awe-inspiring this would have been in the 90s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom