• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda VikzeLinks Weekly Sunday Poll 61!

When playing a Zelda game, how much exploration do you do on your own?

• Look through every little pixel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Check around me if there is anything I can see

• Not actively looking, but if I see something, I go there

• Nothing can keep me from the main quest

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Last week's winner: OOT (27.59%)
This week's question: When playing a Zelda game, how much exploration do you do on your own?
Look through every little pixel
Check around me if there is anything I can see
Not actively looking, but if I see something, I go there
Nothing can keep me from the main quest

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Nothing can keep me from the main quest. Exploring is one of the weaker aspects of Zelda and a huge annoyance until the dungeons have been completed.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I clicked Check around me if there is anything I can see. I don't check every little detail, but I do generally try to look around for as many hidden things I can find. That way I can see if there's a suspicious looking wall, or some vines up high on a cliff, or a heartpiece in plain sight.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Nothing can keep me from the main quest. Exploring is one of the weaker aspects of Zelda and a huge annoyance until the dungeons have been completed.

Perhaps if you went exploring more often, you'd find out that's it's actually quite enjoyable. I really don't see how exploration is a weak aspect at all, in fact, it's one of the stronger ones.

To answer the OP, I'm not one to check every nook and cranny of the game, but sometimes I just love wandering around to see where I end up. I love finding things I would've never found if I just stuck with the main quest. Thus I chose the option "check around me if there is anything I can see".

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I check around me if there is anything I can see. I love exploring it Zelda games, and find it to be an enjoyable aspect of the franchise.

DarkestLink

Perhaps if you went exploring more often, you'd find out that's it's actually quite enjoyable. I really don't see how exploration is a weak aspect at all, in fact, it's one of the stronger ones.

I try to avoid it, but some games like aLttP and tWW have forced it on me and made the first playthrough a living hell. It's boring. And it's boring because it's essentially doing nothing. Often times it's just a barrier preventing me from enjoying the main quest...and other items, it's built around sidequests, another one of the series' weaker aspects. That's just my 2 cents. Some games can pull off exploration, but games like Zelda don't. For exploration to work, I feel must tie in to the bigger picture. Exploration and the main quest need to be one and the same.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I don't like exploring to be honest. I find it a little boring at times. Honestly though, in the 2D Zelda's I use guides for the areas in between dungeons because I don't care enough to explore.

DarkestLink

And that becomes linearity, which most people dislike. That's why the exploration is optional

Quite the opposite. In SM64 and the BK series, exploration WAS the main quest rather than just a barrier. SM64 is one of the most non-linear games out there and BK is far less linear than Zelda.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom