• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Unpopular Opinions About Popular Games

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It's no secret to most of y'all that I happen to hate Battlefield, Zelda Skyward Sword, and Call of Duty to name a few successful games/franchises. Now, the idea is that there are unpopular opinions about popular games.

- How do you treat unpopular opinions about popular games?
- Do you hold any such opinions? About which games?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I'm in the Zelda online community...I see a lot of that, to be honest. I'm fine with it...that's actually why I'm here. In the real world community, I find myself too "Zelda Mainstream". It's nice to have my views challenged and see the other side of things.

Let's see....for me it's Super Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart Wii. I like Super Mario Galaxy, but to me, it feels like a step down from the other two and highly overrated in my opinion. But Mario Kart Wii? I don't even like that game. Haven't played it in years. If I am to be completely candid, I consider it a piece of ****. The main game is broken, the battle system is destroyed, and the online game is constantly getting hacked.

I have no problem with unpopular opinions. I have some myself. For example, Braid? Not a fan. I mean, I don't hate it, but I don't have that much fun with it and I can't play it that long without getting bored. Also, I'm not sure if Jon Blow is legitimately crazy, or just trying to unnerve me, but every time I read one of those books I get the feeling like I'm being told a story by a sociopath... I guess that's not really a negative or a positive, just the way the story is makes it difficult for me to continue playing for very long...

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
As most of you know, I hold the unpopular opinion that as far as Zelda goes, OoT isn't anything special.

Sincerely,
Xyphon

BURN THE WITCH! HE'S MADE OF DUCKS

------------------------

Well I for one hate TP, and alot of people love it. I hate every halo after the 3rd one, and only think the 3rd one is ok, while loving the 2nd one the most, and first is still solid game. Zelda 2 is good, um I'm not a fan of anything by rockstar, but love bethesda (then again bethesda open worlds give you immersion).

Actually I did like Halo ODST but hated it at the same time. The level design itself was closer to Halo 2, but the whole fact you had to wander around the city to find the levels meant you couldn't just save the game and continue off where you were for co-op.

I hate New Super Mario Bros sound track.

I'm not too excited about Watchdogs (does it count to hate a game that isn't out yet?)

oh and Dragon Age 2 was actually an enjoyable experience.

Every one is entitled to an opinion of what games they like and don't, and why. Some times it bugs me if changes I don't like are seen as "progress" because that means they might return in future games.

MW7

My most unpopular opinion is probably that Super Mario Galaxy 2 was a disappointing game. I thought Super Mario Galaxy 1 was alright but a step down from Super Mario Sunshine, and then the sequel was even less enjoyable for me. I'm pretty sure these were two of the best reviewed games ever, and I didn't see what was so special about them. I would still say they are better than the vast majority of video games, but I also think they are lesser console Mario games. I would rather be playing SMB3, SMW, SMW2, SM64, or SMS anyday before either of the Galaxy games.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Ventus said:
- How do you treat unpopular opinions about popular games?
I may sometimes ask a person why they feel the way they do, other times I poke fun by blatantly opposing their opinion (although I don't usually do it seriously). What I always do, though, is respect their opinion and not hold it against them, even if I disagree with it. It's common courtesy, after all.

Ventus said:
- Do you hold any such opinions? About which games?
Yes. I strongly believe Twilight Princess is the worst Zelda game, and a poor video game in general. This opinion was forged from several-- and I mean several-- playthroughs of the game. Over time, I developed more and more of a distaste for the game. I hate Midna's guts and think she's the worst partner the series has ever had, I hate how Ganondorf was introduced with a flashback, I hate how Zant fell from an enigmatic villain to an insane puppet, I hate how unbelievably unchallenging the entire game was, I hate how almost all the puzzles in all of the dungeons didn't take much thought to solve, I hate how every single boss presented no challenge, and I hate how unlikable most of the characters were. That is my opinion, however unpopular it may be.

Mido

Version 1
When I usually come across an unpopular opinion, I tend to enter a perplexed state, especially if it's something that I may be a total fangirl about, but normally, once I hear more of what the person with the opinion is aiming at, I either will come to grips with it and understand them, or I'll just agree to disagree.

The 'Head Honcho' of my unpopular opinions' list is my opinion of Skyrim as a game, as I felt like its predecessors were all better as a whole. (I could go on, but I've done so numerous times over the time the game's been out.) Halo 4 is another game I have mixed feelings about, as I feel like some of the magic was lost going into this game. On Halo 4, however, I think's it's just a matter of personal taste there, as I really don't think it is a bad game in any major way. (To be honest, I can't really explain a real legit reason for my feelings about Halo 4. :thinking:)

Big Octo

=^)
1. I try to treat all opinions with respect. I might be a bit flabbergasted about it, and may even ask why the other thinks that, but I usually try to remain calm and recognize it as a valid opinion.

2. A do have a few. Firstly, I did not think Skyward Sword was a very good Zelda game. It holds the spot for my least favorite 3D title. I think that Super Mario Galaxy 2 was nowhere near as good as its predecessor. Also, I think that games like both Sonic Adventure titles and Goldeneye have ages terribly, and that the main reason these games are still praised is because of nostalgia. In fact, I didn't even think Goldeneye was a very good game when it first came out. When compares to PC FPS games, it really fell short. Hmm, that'd about do it.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
Usually when I see an unpopular opinion I just try to understand them, and if it's coming from a friend I tend to make fun of them sometimes sarcastically.

- Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are among some of my least favorite Mario games

- Bethesda games don't interest me

- Zelda II is better than the original

- DmC is a good game

Just to name a few of mine.

Last edited:

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
1.) Super Mario Galaxy 2 was far much worse than its predecessor

2.) Spirit Tracks is worse than Phantom Hourglass

3.) Twilight Princess isn't anything special, and never has been

4.) Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion aren't good games

I think I'm willing to accept unpopular opinions. Of course I may have some disagreements, but everyone is entitled to their opinion -- regardless of popularity.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Not quite understanding the Skyward Sword comments...that's not a popular game to begin with. XD

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Not quite understanding the Skyward Sword comments...that's not a popular game to begin with. XD

...? Saying that SS wasn't/isn't a popular game is an understatement. Just because it didn't sell as well when compared to other titles, doesn't mean that it's an unpopular game. In fact, I feel that it was not only highly anticipated, but also lavishly praised.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
...? Saying that SS wasn't/isn't a popular game is an understatement. Just because it didn't sell as well when compared to other titles, doesn't mean that it's an unpopular game. In fact, I feel that it was not only highly anticipated, but also lavishly praised.

I think it didn't sell well because us Dolphin kids, y'know, pirated it. But that's just me. \_(;/)_/

Ehm, I have a lot of unpopular opinions.

- PC is not a good platform for gaming (bar MMOs)
- Skyward Sword is a horrible Zelda game and would be better of as a new IP
- Battlefield and EA are two of the worst things to ever poison the gaming world
- Pokemon is stagnant and, quite frankly, started to suck by Gen 4
- Pokemon designs post Hoenn were lacking (bar Turtwig and its evolutions)
- Call of Duty Black Ops and Black Ops II are far better than CoD4
- CoD4 is on par with MW3
- World of Warcraft isn't anything special
- Kingdom Hearts 1 is ludicrous compared to KH2
- KH Dream Drop Distance is the weakest title
- Kingdom Hearts Re:coded has the strongest Command gameplay
-

I have more but it's late. :/

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
When I usually come across an unpopular opinion, I tend to enter a perplexed state, especially if it's something that I may be a total fangirl about, but normally, once I hear more of what the person with the opinion is aiming at, I either will come to grips with it and understand them, or I'll just agree to disagree.

The 'Head Honcho' of my unpopular opinions' list is my opinion of Skyrim as a game, as I felt like its predecessors were all better as a whole. (I could go on, but I've done so numerous times over the time the game's been out.) Halo 4 is another game I have mixed feelings about, as I feel like some of the magic was lost going into this game. On Halo 4, however, I think's it's just a matter of personal taste there, as I really don't think it is a bad game in any major way. (To be honest, I can't really explain a real legit reason for my feelings about Halo 4. :thinking:)

While I do kinda hate the over simplification of skyrim's magic system and interface that's painfully designed for console and not pc, It was just easier to get into then morowind and oblivion. Oblivion I have yet to this day managed a full run thru, I get kicked out of the immersion by randomly having committed crimes apparently, and then not being able to go anywhere or do anything after a while because I have a bounty. (and that stupid conversation mini game they had going on wasn't helping either)

Morowind perhaps is in need of a visual upgrade, its hard to get lost in a game that looks like star fox for the snes.

I'm usually a proponent of graphics don't matter, but in that style of game I really do think they matter to an extent. Fallout 3/ Oblivion are about the lowest level of graphics required to find it a believable world.

And its ok Halo 4 sucked. Plot made no sense, I was shooting holograms with holographic guns (why didn't they just turn my gun off>?), the game designers clearly never understood that an fps with long range weapons needs longer draw distances, and bomb explodes i'm ok because holograms, space magic. It was like bad fan fiction.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom