• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Unpopular Opinions About Popular Games

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
...? Saying that SS wasn't/isn't a popular game is an understatement. Just because it didn't sell as well when compared to other titles, doesn't mean that it's an unpopular game. In fact, I feel that it was not only highly anticipated, but also lavishly praised.

I suppose I should ask if we're talking about popularity in games or general or among Zelda games. Regardless, not only did it sell low, but it's among the lowest scoring 3D titles with MM among professional critics.

Among fans (going by metacritic), it scores a 7.8. The 2nd lowest Zelda (Wind Waker) is 8.8. That's a significant difference.

ProtagonistJake

Shepard
I could write walls of text explaining why I thought Bioshock Infinite was, at best, incredibly mediocre.
Gladly though, some great reviewer here made a pretty fantastic critique of the game, explaining everything I feel in perfect detail.

So, I'll just post that

Bioshock Infinite Critique - YouTube

A do have a few. Firstly, I did not think Skyward Sword was a very good Zelda game. It holds the spot for my least favorite 3D title. I think that Super Mario Galaxy 2 was nowhere near as good as its predecessor. Also, I think that games like both Sonic Adventure titles and Goldeneye have ages terribly, and that the main reason these games are still praised is because of nostalgia. In fact, I didn't even think Goldeneye was a very good game when it first came out. When compares to PC FPS games, it really fell short. Hmm, that'd about do it.
I love you

Last edited:

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I tend to look into what the main arguments supporting this unpopular opinion are, most of the time they are just silly and I just add those opinions to my brand new apple product iCare.

- PC is not a good platform for gaming (bar MMOs)
- Skyward Sword is a horrible Zelda game and would be better of as a new IP
- Battlefield and EA are two of the worst things to ever poison the gaming world
- Pokemon is stagnant and, quite frankly, started to suck by Gen 4
- Pokemon designs post Hoenn were lacking (bar Turtwig and its evolutions)
- Call of Duty Black Ops and Black Ops II are far better than CoD4 lol, do you even CoD, bro?
- CoD4 is on par with MW3
- World of Warcraft isn't anything special
- Kingdom Hearts 1 is ludicrous compared to KH2
- KH Dream Drop Distance is the weakest title
- Kingdom Hearts Re:coded has the strongest Command gameplay
I have more but it's late. :/

Now for example all of these opinions listed above I'd just add to my iCare, main reason being because it's just a flat statement without any explanation as to why the person feels this way. Personally, if you have a controversial/unpopular opinion and want to be taken seriously you shouldn't just state something like for example "SS sucks!" and then just run away. I'd rather the person makes a wall of text that explains in detail why he/she feels this way (even though I agree with this particular opinion).

Hanyou

didn't build that
Though I think they all have positive qualities, A Link to the Past, Zelda II, and Twilight Princess are the Zelda games I like least. Most people can probably sympathize with Zelda II, but the others require a bit of explanation.

A Link to the Past achieved a lot, but so many other games have done the same thing better since then. While I like having a lot of choices and I think the world is well-structured, the world also strikes me as monotonous and boring. It lacks the mystery of the original Legend of Zelda--that special sense of wonder that makes me want to explore, plunder ancient dungeons, etc. It also lacks the vision of its successors. Its world largely seems flat and unpleasant, with too little atmosphere.

That's it. I started with Ocarina of Time, so atmosphere is important to me. A Link to the Past, with its ugly visual style and lack of investment in a strong, unified world, left me with nothing to hold on to. It's just gameplay, which might appeal to some people, but I ask for more from my Zelda games. As a pure gameplay experience, it isn't as much fun as the original, which is tighter, letting you move more quickly from one objective to the next--or get lost in its labyrinthine overworld.

None of this is to say ALttP is bad, but I do think it gets too much credit, particularly when Ocarina of Time is called a rehash. Ocarina plays very differently, has an entirely different atmosphere, and its dungeons are far more puzzle-based. Its mythology is also richer. If you ask me, it has just that sense of adventure and mystery that the games around ALttP--particularly The Legend of Zelda and Link's Awakening--offered.

Twilight Princess is also an ugly game, but its problems run deeper. The wolf doesn't control too well and isn't half as much fun to use as Link. Midna is an annoying, self-centered character at first; when she starts to care about her world, I don't, because I still don't have any point of reference as to why I should. Everything I've seen from her realm is the atrocious, boring Tears of Light segments that I finished as quickly as possible. If the game had only been about Hyrule, I might have cared a little bit more.

Even worse, the whole overworld is much less open to exploration. This was something A Link to the Past did well; around every corner was a new secret, and if you didn't have a certain set of items, you could often get creative to dig up items you wanted. If, like Skyward Sword, there were still a lot to do, I wouldn't mind, but here, you will ride across vast stretches of landscape and only find a few rupees.

Just as bad is the linearity. Again, I don't always mind this: I love Okami, and it's extremely linear. But it limits your options and it also seems needless; by the time you reach the last few dungeons, you should be able to play them out of order. Part of the fun of Zelda games is making these sorts of decisions: do I approach the Fire or Water Temple first? etc. In absence of that, the game should at least offer the player ample reward for item acquisition, not just another plot point.

Super Mario Sunshine is easily the worst Mario game I've ever played.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I don't mind unpopular opinions because I have them myself. As long as you're not bashing a game for no reason, I'm fine with it. I respect your opinion as long as you're not a jerk about it.

For me, I think the Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap are both extremely overrated games. Super Mario 64 has weird controls, the graphics look blocky, and the levels feel like levels. In my opinion, The castle just feels like a giant level select screen. The game just doesn't feel like much of a world, unlike every other Mario game. My opinions on the Minish Cap are simple. The story and characters are easily unforgettable despite being a unique Zelda game. Some of the bosses are pretty lame too. Seriously, they had to be so gimmicky that one of the boss battles is fighting a Chu while you're a minish?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Now for example all of these opinions listed above I'd just add to my iCare, main reason being because it's just a flat statement without any explanation as to why the person feels this way. Personally, if you have a controversial/unpopular opinion and want to be taken seriously you shouldn't just state something like for example "SS sucks!" and then just run away. I'd rather the person makes a wall of text that explains in detail why he/she feels this way (even though I agree with this particular opinion).

It was late at night Q_Q
And I do CoD! Sometimes. At any rate, I COULD wall of text, and I will.

- PC is not a good platform for gaming (bar MMOs)
Now, this is really...eh, but here is my opinion. PC gaming costs at least 1.5x more than your standard issue console. It could potentially cost as much as 3x more than your standard issue console if you're aiming for something that can play your games on all ultras. I dislike having to pay for more than what I'm actually going to use - I know that a PC does exponentially more than just gaming - so I tend not to spend my hard/easy earned money on a bunch of extras. Furthermore, the communities in my experience are horrid on PC, far worse than your typical Xbox Live 12 yr old CoD kid. They belittle you out the *** for any given reason: If you play on all lows, you're a ***got; if you're inexperienced you're a noob - but that really goes for all communities in any gaming sphere bar ye olde days - and so much more; the inappropriateness is beyond XboxKid levels; there's almost zero morality to be found outside of niche corners, meaning they will use any and all tactics - including hacking - to win just one match. I know that niche communities exist - some call them dedicated servers - but with what I've seen they are few and far between, with the majority of PC kids just being jerks. So it comes down to price which is ridic, and the community which is worse than XBL in my experience. My opinion, in my :eek:nion: :) xDDD :3

- Skyward Sword is a horrible Zelda game and would be better of as a new IP
I really don't want to get into this. Skyward Sword lacks so much of what makes a Zelda game...a Zelda game. There's like no exploration. The story is focused on a girl who - once again - does nothing but sit back "until the time is right". Link is actually given a personality in this game, one that doesn't remotely make sense (he cares about Zelda which makes sense, but it's implied that he LOVES her while she doesn't care a bit about him). The game is 2linear4me. Fi Fi Fi Fi Fi. Pointless interruptions. Unskippable, long cutscenes (of course they aren't MSG4 long but w/e). Enemy designs I don't necessarily have a problem with, nor do I have a problem with the graphics, but the combat is laughably easy. Getting a death would be from me not screwing up, but from me simply waggling against a technoblin. I...just can't take this game seriously. :I My opinion, in my :eek:nion: :) xDDD :3

- Battlefield and EA are two of the worst things to ever poison the gaming world
EA. enough said. Battlefield, though. The games aren't annualized, but they have a HORRIBLE model for the consumer. They waste money with a single player, unsubstantial experience for what reason other than for it to get rated and reviewed? Maybe to justify all that DLC they already had planned. The game modes are rank. The guns make no sense. The physics of the game are neat, except for when you literally have a guy get shot in thehead by an M98B, AKS-74u, and even a DAO-12 yet STILL live and take EVERYONE out. That isn't lag comp btw, because we all have a ping of ~50. :IIII

Back to the DLC bit. The DLC totals to around...what, $60 or so? So they make you pay for Battlefield Premium which is a service, then they release Battlefield Premium Edition which is Battlefield and all the DLC for a price of $60 - the original price of the game. That's good for newcomers, but what about your first time buyers who go tth eoriginal game for full price and got all the DLC? All of that shiz is just stupid.

EA, please burn. Battlefield, take your physics and graphics whoring to the grave as well. My opinion, in my :eek:nion: :) xDDD :3

- Pokemon is stagnant and, quite frankly, started to suck by Gen 4
Literally been running on the same "grab starter pokemon, get badges, beat elite four, and beat side villain Team XXX" formula since Gen 1. Gen 4 and onwards suck purely because I dislike the designs of the Pokermans (bar Turtwig). My opinion, in my :eek:nion: :) xDDD :3

- Pokemon designs post Hoenn were lacking (bar Turtwig and its evolutions)
This one is superduper subjective but I personally felt that the designs have started to lean towards somethin whacko like Digimon. That's not inherently bad...except for the fact that I'm playing Pokemon, not Digimon. The designs in Gen 1 through 3 seemed to me to be based on animals that you would befriend and train. Gen 4 and onwards? Seemed more like "whoa awesome concepts its a sword!! xDDD" to me. My opinion, in my :eek:nion: :) xDDD :3

- Call of Duty Black Ops and Black Ops II are far better than CoD4 lol, do you even CoD, bro?
The maps in Bo and BO2 are just better to me than CoD4. The guns feel a lot more balanced; even the FAMAS can be countered with a good shot. Although I've noticed hit detection problems on PS3 port of BO, they weren't present on the 360 version (in my experience). BO2 has a LOT less spawntrap bull**** than CoD4 did. Killstreaks are a problem of BO and BO2 - but they also make the games more fun than CoD4's menial "RADAR, AIRSTRIKE, HELICOPTER". :/ My opinion, in my :eek:nion: :) xDDD :3

- CoD4 is on par with MW3
[not even gonna]

- World of Warcraft isn't anything special
I've been around the MMORPG-scape and really, everyone has been clamouring over WoW. I play it for a while and all I notice is "hnnng must grind". The community was actually great - compared to most other PC comms I've seen - but the game itself just felt...lacking. The gameplay seemed to be about gear and some pseudo meta builds. And, it seemed to be about endgame content, not the journey to endgame. So, leveling in my experience was actually quite hard - whether I was doing something wrong or not I don't know - and it was quite frankly boring. But I acknowledge that htere needs to be some kind of system where leveling isn't too easy and isn't too hard, so that isn't too much of a fault because "too easy" is still objective. I loved the locale but NPCs felt flat. Quests were...mundane, at best. Loved raiding though woot woot! WoW in general isn't MEH, but it isn't that great god of gaming like so many people in the community claim it to be. I've played at least two "WoW Killers". My opinion, in my :eek:nion: :) xDDD :3

- Kingdom Hearts 1 is ludicrous compared to KH2
KH1's combat is clunky and slow. KH2's is fast paced. KH1 is harder - unless you're playing Critical Mode in KH2. Even with all Lucky Strikes, grinding materials for Ultima Weapon in KH1 is just...hnng. But, it's made a LOT easier - and a lot more fun - in KH2. KH1 is based around exploration, but this is harder to do in my experience because of the slow travel (thank God for Superglide). Music was better in KH2 for me, including its rendition of Dearly Beloved. I could keep going but I'm rambling at this point. My opinion, in my :eek:nion: :) xDDD :3

- KH Dream Drop Distance is the weakest title
Flowmotion destroyed all purpose of getting other abilities like Glide, Sliding Crescent, etc. People claim the platforming was massively boosted - and it probably was - but the game just made me want to facepalm with how easy things were.

Despite sporting Command gameplay, DDD notably lacks command melding which was present even in Re:coded. The way you obtain commands is funny because you're basically playing a minigame by raising your dream eaters. I dislike having to switch out my DEs constantly jsut to access a great deal of commands and abilities; why couldn't they just use KH2's system which tied abilities to both leveling as well as events? DDD lacks levels on commands, so there is a clearly distinction between what WILL BE overpowered and what WILL BE underpowered. Megaflare, for example, could be a weak command if it wasn't maxed out, with Thunder Surge actually dealing more damage. However, in DDD, Balloonga will ALWAYS outclass the likes of Blizzard Edge. So, this takes the fun out of the gameplay which was previously in BBS and Re:coded.

The story felt weak, but this is because Nomura specifically said that DDD's story wasn't just about the Mark of Mastery Exam....which, turns out, it actually WAS just about the MoM. :///
My opinion, in my :eek:nion: :) xDDD :3

- Kingdom Hearts Re:coded has the strongest Command gameplay
For all the flak this game gets (and deserves, quite frankly) regarding its story, the gameplay is surprisingly strong. No, I'm not talking about the Olympus Colosseum turn based stuff, I'm specifically talking about how the game melds with the System Sectors.

Back in BBS, you could level a command to around Level 3-6, right? Well in Re:coded, you can take your commands (with few exceptions like Rising Strike) all the way to level 100. Sounds daunting, right? Well, no more! The leveling system - the Stat Matrix - lets you control how fast and how easy the game is, even on the fly. All of the commands are conducive to comboing, and they heavily encourage experimentation. With the Stat Matrix, you can customize your Data-Sora to the point where he can be what's effectively a Blizzard Lord with high weakness to thunder attacks, or maybe him an well rounded character. I'm not good at explaining, so just play it. :/ My opinion, in my :eek:nion: :) xDDD :3

btw I'm sorry for all the My opinion, in my :eek:nion: :) xDDD :3s; it's all my opinion and I don't care if I'm "right" or "wrong" in any of those respects. ://

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Looking at Ventus' post reminds me of so many games that I hate, but I just forget about...never liked WoW...and Pokemon died in Generation 3 for me. I know there's so many more popular games out there that I don't like...but I just can't begin to name them...I'll just say this though...

An M rating turns me off. Turned me off when I was a kid, turned me off when I was a teen...I'm 20 and it still turns me off. Despite being rated "mature", it feels very immature to me. Most of the elements that make give a rated M game its rating feel so unnecessary. What do I, the gamer, gain from seeing **** loads of blood spewing out on the floor, hearing excessive swearing, and having naked digital girls strutting around?

I've rented a few M-rated titles from time to time, but I haven't actually bought one since Conker's Bad Fur Day. In that case, I can see the M-rating being justified as that is the angle of "humor" they are going after...but I'm just not a fan of such type of humor. In the end, all the M-rating does is require me to move my gaming console to my room, barricade the door, and turn the sound on low so nobody complains over the game.

Aside from the commonly hated Call of Duty, I really dislike the Assassin's Creed games.

I tried to get into them, but I just think they're boring and not fun.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Aside from the commonly hated Call of Duty, I really dislike the Assassin's Creed games.

It's funny because I actually held this opinion. But, the AC games I find are not fun in the gameplay side of things, but in the architecture and lore. It's heavily ironic, but I actually learned a bit about the supposed Roman/Italian archittecture from AC. And boy the games are just beautiful. The voice acting sounds authentic. And the scenarios are like perfect. :)

gameplay just isn't the strong point of the series.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Unpopular opinion? I've got a few.

1) Mass Effect 3 was a terrible game for far more than just its ending. The game lacks suspense thanks to the introduction of the Reapers at the very beginning of the game, dialogue choices have all but been stripped away, hub worlds are gone, side quests consist of go to planet and scan for artifacts, and interaction with characters is reduced to scripted moments.

2) Dragon Age II was a terrible, terrible game that played like a parody of the first. It all takes place in one city, all dungeons are reused dozens of times, there's no plot for the first four hours, the dialogue choices have been replaced by a token morality wheel, the environment is bland and brown, you can't speak to your companions except during scripted sequences, and the characters themselves are stereotypes.

3) I enjoyed Twilight Princess far more than Ocarina of Time. The characters were given more screen time and the world was more interesting to explore.

4) The first sixteen minutes of Metal Gear Solid 3 are ****ing ******** and a perfect example of terrible storytelling. It goes from high octane HALO jump to ten minutes of ****ing exposition.

5) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim featured crap guilds, and was saved as a game only by the player's ability to explore everything.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Oooh!!! Here's a very unpopular opinion that I hold.

Super Smash Bros Brawl is horrible; Melee is the best.

Yes. You heard it from me. Brawl is, at the tourney level, a completely broken game. Its physics are floaty, which naturally isn't conducive to already floaty characters. The game is so much slower, with far too many frames being allowed for perfect shielding and for whatever reason L-Canceling is removed (seriously, how about you just nerf Link into the ground, Sakurai?). Shield dropping is ridiculously easy compared to Melee. What the hell is up with tether recoveries? I can understand it somewhat - every character bar Toon Link is using an item that really latches onto something rather than "sticks" like the Hookshotwould - but they are so useless! Meta Knight is broken as ****, and Snake really isn't that far from him. Don't even get me started on tripping. Dumbest inclusion EVER created.

In general I'd rate Brawl a 8/10 game, it isn't anywhere close to a 10/10 game imho.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General

Yea, I feel the same way. I just don't understand how the gameplay is fun at all. I also hate those stupid segments where you are just running through a piece of land and there is absolutely nothing there. (Am I even thinking of the right game?)

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Super Mario 64 isn't as good as people say. Other M isn't as bad as people say. The gameplay, anyway.

Oooh!!! Here's a very unpopular opinion that I hold.

Super Smash Bros Brawl is horrible; Melee is the best.

Yes. You heard it from me. Brawl is, at the tourney level, a completely broken game. Its physics are floaty, which naturally isn't conducive to already floaty characters. The game is so much slower, with far too many frames being allowed for perfect shielding and for whatever reason L-Canceling is removed (seriously, how about you just nerf Link into the ground, Sakurai?). Shield dropping is ridiculously easy compared to Melee. What the hell is up with tether recoveries? I can understand it somewhat - every character bar Toon Link is using an item that really latches onto something rather than "sticks" like the Hookshotwould - but they are so useless! Meta Knight is broken as ****, and Snake really isn't that far from him. Don't even get me started on tripping. Dumbest inclusion EVER created.

In general I'd rate Brawl a 8/10 game, it isn't anywhere close to a 10/10 game imho.

I'm going to say as much as I can without looking like a tool, but what you've said isn't unpopular. You sound like classic Melee-fanboy dissing on Brawl for being different and against what you're used to. "Floaty" and "slow" are in relation to its predecessor. Ask any person who hasn't played Smash Bros. before and that will be the furthest thing from their minds.

One thing you and I both know is that Melee was targeted more towards the hardcore audience, and Brawl, the more casual players.
Brawl is, at the tourney level, a completely broken game.
At tourney level. You judge a game on what it's not designed to be.

Even so, you say Brawl is "horrible", then give it a 8/10. You didn't just say "in comparison to Melee", but as a game. Horrible. 8/10. You must have high standards. Then again, you play Melee, so I can't say that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom