• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

OoT-N64 Um, is This the Gerudo Fortress....?

oshi_yoshi

Skyloftian Night Patrol
Did anyone else feel awkward/guilty about just shooting down guards in the Gerudo Fortress? I mean, sure, they just chucked you in prison for no reason. But since "you're a man" (Link is, anyway) I felt as though it was horribly wrong to bust out of prison with arrows a-flying, shooting down women.
I got even more uncomfortable when I had to rescue the carpenters... Yes, they start the fight, but I don't feel that it's right to kill them.
In my opinion, this was not a wise design choice. I saw a huge improvement on that in Skyward Sword in the Bokoblin base, because they were pre-existing enemies, they weren't gender specific and you didn't have to kill all of them.
Am I just weird and old-fashioned, or did this not sit well with anybody else either?

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Actually, if you looked closely (say, if you shot an arrow at them from close-range), you'd see that you just knocked them out. There were stars dancing around their heads. It's just a gameplay element; I honestly didn't think it was anything to worry about.

Djinn

and Tonic
I was more the opposite, it annoyed me that I could not actually face them as an enemy and defeat them even when I had to fight them in the prison. It was nothing like an ordinary fight. Just hit them a couple times or get his a couple times then be placed back in an unlocked cell with all your equipment on you. Sneaking around and stunning enemies was an annoying exercise when I could have just fought them like I have with every other enemy that I have come across the entire game so far. But instead the game mechanics require you to not be overly forceful and never kill a single one. Fighting them in the cells was still a chore because of the stunning you aspect.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I didn't really feel this way either. They were a foreign (ish) race that was locking up foreigners just because they were foreign and a different gender. And I didn't feel bad about killing them because you never really kill any of them...
Have to say I didnt feel that way....they started it!

Fo shizzle.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
They toss you in jail for being male and for invading their territory. You're there to rescue the carpenters that they imprisoned first so it's a necessary evil to do what's ultimately the right thing and required to complete the game under normal circumstances. Arrows are basically a scratch anyway. Unless you get hit in certain critical spots you'll be fine.

I actually liked the stealthy aspect of that portion of the game. Although, I fail to see your logic with the fact that Link had to knock out women. If you are referring to that as sexism, is it not sexist for the Gerudos to throw Link in jail on the sole basis that he is a man? I don't see how that's any less sexist than Link knocking them out to escape the fortress and rescue the carpenters.

oshi_yoshi

Skyloftian Night Patrol
Maybe it's just because I'm uncomfortable with most of the women in OoT. The only ones I didn't really have a problem with were Malon and Zelda because they're modest, and their boobs don't stick out farther than their face. (Great Fairies..... *coughcough*)
Hm. I guess I'm just weird. :)

I didn't find it weird at all. Trying to rescue someone from enemy forces requires stealth tactics, and that's exactly what you do in Gerudo Fortress. You can't just run into a place going 'I SMASH YOU!' and announce your presence. You have to be stealthy and not let your enemy know you're there until the last possible moment.

Skunk

Floof
Until recently I actually didn't know you could do this. But when I found out it was a bit strange for me, so I just sorta stuck with sneaking around in the shadows... Well, except for the one Gerudo soldier...

I didn't kill them, I just knocked them out, so I didn't really feel guilty about it at all.. Lol actually, whenever a Gerudo would catch me, I'd be sure to shoot that one multiple times the next time.. hehe.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
It didn't really bother me you had to knock the Gerudos out. I don't think sexism really exists in Zelda games for it to be wrong or offensive. They are quite tough and they prove that when you fight them to release the carpenters. It's not like they're helpless or weak.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Did anyone else feel awkward/guilty about just shooting down guards in the Gerudo Fortress? I mean, sure, they just chucked you in prison for no reason. But since "you're a man" (Link is, anyway) I felt as though it was horribly wrong to bust out of prison with arrows a-flying, shooting down women.
I got even more uncomfortable when I had to rescue the carpenters... Yes, they start the fight, but I don't feel that it's right to kill them.
In my opinion, this was not a wise design choice. I saw a huge improvement on that in Skyward Sword in the Bokoblin base, because they were pre-existing enemies, they weren't gender specific and you didn't have to kill all of them.
Am I just weird and old-fashioned, or did this not sit well with anybody else either?

First off, your title "Um, is this Gerudo Fortress?" I'd like to say; NO, THIS IS PATRICK!

Second, they aren't even killed nor hurt. You simply stun them. Considering you can't really inflict damage upon the patrolling guards. On the other hand, you also don't kill the guards on the inside either. You simply attack them to a point where they can't take any more damage, so they flee. I never found any of this wrong doing, as the Gerudos did start the fight. There's nothing to panic about. I wasn't really fond of the whole concept, but I did feel kind of like a spy. Which was pretty cool.... James Bond style. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom