• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Twilight Princess is the Starting Point for Zelda U

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
From the TP retrospective videos, Aonuma had this to say about Zelda U.
Aonuma said:
"I'm working on a new Legend of Zelda game now... And one thing I've realized as I've been working on it is that a lot of the things I want to do with this new Zelda game are things I thought of while making Twilight Princess. I can't talk specifics, but to me, Twilight Princess was a starting point, making it possible to do what I'm doing now in a way."

"I think it'll be fun for people to look back when you play the new Zelda and compare the two."
If they could pull another Twilight Princess, while still not having massive flaws, with some WW freedom, and MM sidequests. Zelda U may indeed the best game ever made.
I think this is great news that we won't have a SS.

I'll have to go back and watch the video, but this does have me interested - I'd like to see another Zelda game with some heavy Twilight Princess influence. Obviously Zelda U's art style doesn't match up perfectly with Twilight Princess' aesthetic, but I think that Zelda U's art style could potentially capture the same atmosphere as Twilight Princess if put to the task.

This means nothing to me, considering how Zelda WiiU looks so different from TP in both design and visual style. And as long as there isn't any forced Wolf\animal\masks gimmicks ill be happy. The reason why LoZ is my favorite franchise is because even with its liberties in the formula it always maintains high quality.

From the TP retrospective videos, Aonuma had this to say about Zelda U.

If they could pull another Twilight Princess, while still not having massive flaws, with some WW freedom, and MM sidequests. Zelda U may indeed the best game ever made.
I think this is great news that we won't have a SS.
The vusials we have seen for Zelda U do look similar to SS though. I can agree with you if all that happens . . . and add in the Zelda 1/2 NES overworld openness, then Zelda U will be amazing. I'd rather see Zelda U open like Xenoblade Chronicles X. WW was still gated early on, you could not sail anywhere you wanted till you did a dungeon or two. A truly open Zelda would not have this. Sure the dungeons would require items and other things to access and/or beat them, but you could run past the enterances at anytime, provided you can sneak past the tougher enemies.

I hope Midna makes a appearance, even if it is a small one.

Anyway it would be cool if this is after twilight princess years later or just before.

HeroOfTermina

Obsessively checking this forum since 2015
Why does anyone believe anything that comes out of this guy's mouth?
Of course it'll be the starting point... along with every game he's stated would be the the start point

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
The vusials we have seen for Zelda U do look similar to SS though. I can agree with you if all that happens . . . and add in the Zelda 1/2 NES overworld openness, then Zelda U will be amazing. I'd rather see Zelda U open like Xenoblade Chronicles X. WW was still gated early on, you could not sail anywhere you wanted till you did a dungeon or two. A truly open Zelda would not have this. Sure the dungeons would require items and other things to access and/or beat them, but you could run past the enterances at anytime, provided you can sneak past the tougher enemies.
Art Style is not important considering all of this.

I think Aonuma is merely recounting the feelings of epic scale, epicness, and new flair that Twilight Princess had that will now make appearances in Zelda Wii U.

Also, the art style in Zelda Wii U more closely resembles Wind Waker's. The only thing that is changed is the more detailed scenes, and proportionate character models.

But I think Aonuma is merely stating that Zelda U is simply a complete step up compared to other Zelda titles. Unlike Skyward Sword, which wasn't a step up, it was a step in a different direction.

Art Style is not important considering all of this.

I think Aonuma is merely recounting the feelings of epic scale, epicness, and new flair that Twilight Princess had that will now make appearances in Zelda Wii U.

Also, the art style in Zelda Wii U more closely resembles Wind Waker's. The only thing that is changed is the more detailed scenes, and proportionate character models.

But I think Aonuma is merely stating that Zelda U is simply a complete step up compared to other Zelda titles. Unlike Skyward Sword, which wasn't a step up, it was a step in a different direction.
I can agree that Aonuma was considering style or aesthetics when he made his comments about starting points. So I do agree that's a little off topic. But I still think what we've seen on Zelda U looks similar-ish to the SS visuals. I do guess that this is not intentional but it's there. I was hoping that Zelda U would have looked more on the realism side - think TP but only better. Sure TP does not look realistic at all, but it's a lot closer to realism than any other 3D Zelda game in terms of aesthetics.

I do like that he learns from the good points done in previous projects as a starting point. What has previously worked, is well good and the fans liked it. Most Zelda fans like what works and hate what does not work. The fans are pretty fair in their judgement there. The one exception to this is the WW aesthetics and graphics choice. Some love it and other hate it. A very polarising choice by Aonuma and co. The Zelda U choices in this regard are less risky and potentially less polarising. I think less people wiull all out hate it (like WW) and just accept them if the rest of the game is amazing. There is no reason yet to believe that Zelda U will be nothing other than totally amazing.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I can agree that Aonuma was considering style or aesthetics when he made his comments about starting points. So I do agree that's a little off topic. But I still think what we've seen on Zelda U looks similar-ish to the SS visuals. I do guess that this is not intentional but it's there. I was hoping that Zelda U would have looked more on the realism side - think TP but only better. Sure TP does not look realistic at all, but it's a lot closer to realism than any other 3D Zelda game in terms of aesthetics.

I do like that he learns from the good points done in previous projects as a starting point. What has previously worked, is well good and the fans liked it. Most Zelda fans like what works and hate what does not work. The fans are pretty fair in their judgement there. The one exception to this is the WW aesthetics and graphics choice. Some love it and other hate it. A very polarising choice by Aonuma and co. The Zelda U choices in this regard are less risky and potentially less polarising. I think less people wiull all out hate it (like WW) and just accept them if the rest of the game is amazing. There is no reason yet to believe that Zelda U will be nothing other than totally amazing.
Zelda Wii U has the perfect blend of realism and color though. You have to admit, this is absolutely, 100% beautiful
2557861-zelda_001.jpg

This also gives plenty room for some real dark themes, and dark areas similar to Ocarina of time. This look is going to stay a classic, and this will look good 10+ years from now, while still not having the chibi style of WW. We can all see that TP has aged like cow ****, and it needed a remake in order to look good. However, this will continue to look amazing and astonishing.

Zelda Wii U has the perfect blend of realism and color though. You have to admit, this is absolutely, 100% beautiful
To me that does not look realistic at all. But it does look amazing. I will agree there.

This also gives plenty room for some real dark themes, and dark areas similar to Ocarina of time. This look is going to stay a classic, and this will look good 10+ years from now, while still not having the chibi style of WW. We can all see that TP has aged like cow ****, and it needed a remake in order to look good. However, this will continue to look amazing and astonishing.
Anything done in a realistic style will age poorly. It's because what we consider to be good CGI and graphical realism (well as close as we can get to it at the time) always improves. Since TP we've improved in that regard so much. OOT feels the same to me. I've played the N64 version recently again and it looks so aged and dated. You're right about WW. I hate the look of WW (as we all know), but the catoony style hardly ages cause it's not meant to look realistic. Cartoons have their own style which remains a special portion of their era. A snapshot in time you could say. Even in someone does not like the look of WW, they can appreciate the snapshot in time that it is and that charm will always be there, hence it hardly ages over the decades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom