• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art Tutorial: Making a Signature (GIMP Users Only)

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
Okay, now i made my own signature image, but how do I add it to My signature? It keeps asking for the image url. Please help!

Okay, upload your picture to Photo Bucket or something. Then, copy the link to the image. Go to edit your signature in your settings and then click on the little image button. Paste your link in there and click OK. Your sig should show up then.

Peeps1080

Not the marshmallow
I have the file and everything like you need it, it's extracted and everything and it's a TrueType font file, but when I right click it, there's nothing that says Install...

LozzyKate

I have the file and everything like you need it, it's extracted and everything and it's a TrueType font file, but when I right click it, there's nothing that says Install...

Did you extract the files from the ZIP File? If you haven't done that, you probably won't see Install.

Go to your main drive (usually C:\) and then navigate to Program Files and open your GIMP folder, until you get to GIMP 2.6 or whatever, and there should be a folder called Fonts. Open that and copy/paste your downloaded font in there.

Zelda's_Child

~Insert Epicness Here~
Wow Lozzy thank you so much for this tutorial! It must have taken a while, but it was fully worth reading. Now I know what more of the functions do!!! :):) ^_^

I'm definitely bookmarking this page for future reference! ;)

Peeps1080

Not the marshmallow
When I try to paste it into my Fonts folder it says: "The TROFORCE.TTF is currently being used by Windows and cannot be replaced. Wait until Windows is finished using the file." Stop usin my files, Windows! lol... Oh yeah what's the icon for a ZIP file?

Last edited:

LozzyKate

When I try to paste it into my Fonts folder it says: "The TROFORCE.TTF is currently being used by Windows and cannot be replaced. Wait until Windows is finished using the file." Stop usin my files, Windows! lol... Oh yeah what's the icon for a ZIP file?

If you go to the first post on this thread, there is a link to a picture that has an image of what a ZIP File. Regarding the font, I don't know what to tell you there. If you did extract your files from the file then I think there might be something wrong...I'm not 100% sure though.

Okay, Lozzy, I'm having difficulties with copying the brushes. I tried doing the ctrl c combo and the ctrl + c combo, but nothing happens. I also tried the ctrl + a and ctrl a combo before then too. A little help please?

Select the brushes you want, then hit Ctrl -C, then go to the Brushes folder and hit Ctrl -V. If that doesn't right work: Right click - Copy, right click - Paste.

Kybyrian

Okay, Lozzy, I'm having difficulties with copying the brushes. I tried doing the ctrl c combo and the ctrl + c combo, but nothing happens. I also tried the ctrl + a and ctrl a combo before then too. A little help please?

From what you've said it sounds like you actually tried to hit each separate key. You don't have to press "+" or anything like that. Just hold down CTRL and then hit C. This is the keyboard shortcut for Right click > copy. Holding down CTRL and pressing A is the keyboard shortcut for Right click > select all. I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but it sounds like you were hitting them separately. Hitting the spacebar between CTRL C or letting up on the key or something. As Kitsu said, you can always right click > copy and right click > paste. CTRL-V(hold down CTRL and hit V) is the keyboard shortcut for paste.

lozzytut.png

This was my end result after following the tutorial. I didn't need to grab the brushes, of course, but whatever. One of the brushes that I use that you can see on both sides of the image where the small white strokes are was a brush that I created myself. I used Photoshop for this. I didn't really use any features that aren't available in GIMP, though. If you'll notice, I also put a shadow on purple Link. I actually learned this technique from Caleb yesterday. I just set the feather on the edges of the circle tool to 10 and then lowered the opacity a little.

Photoshop has no gradient flare feature, so I had to go into GIMP and grab a png of the gradient flare to put into my image... That's one thing that Photoshop doesn't have. They have lighting effects and regular lens flare... but no gradient flare anywhere.

Last edited:

LozzyKate

From what you've said it sounds like you actually tried to hit each separate key. You don't have to press "+" or anything like that. Just hold down CTRL and then hit C. This is the keyboard shortcut for Right click > copy. Holding down CTRL and pressing A is the keyboard shortcut for Right click > select all. I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but it sounds like you were hitting them separately. Hitting the spacebar between CTRL C or letting up on the key or something. As Kitsu said, you can always right click > copy and right click > paste. CTRL-V(hold down CTRL and hit V) is the keyboard shortcut for paste.

lozzytut.png

This was my end result after following the tutorial. I didn't need to grab the brushes, of course, but whatever. One of the brushes that I use that you can see on both sides of the image where the small white strokes are was a brush that I created myself. I used Photoshop for this. I didn't really use any features that aren't available in GIMP, though. If you'll notice, I also put a shadow on purple Link. I actually learned this technique from Caleb yesterday. I just set the feather on the edges of the circle tool to 10 and then lowered the opacity a little.

Photoshop has no gradient flare feature, so I had to go into GIMP and grab a png of the gradient flare to put into my image... That's one thing that Photoshop doesn't have. They have lighting effects and regular lens flare... but no gradient flare anywhere.

It's looks great! It's very colorful and very bright. ;) Good job!

It looks like a couple of people answered your question, so I won't repeat everything they already said. Just go by what they said, and you should get everything to work. ;)

David

But you called me here...
This is a great tutorial! I will probably start using some of the techniques for my signatures in the future! Thanks so much!

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Okay, I'm confused again. I've tried and tried and tried to find the Layer Dock but I can't find it. I tried the Layers button on the top of the page and I've also tried right clicking on the layer I have already and I still haven't come up with what you had in your screenshot.

LozzyKate

Okay, I'm confused again. I've tried and tried and tried to find the Layer Dock but I can't find it. I tried the Layers button on the top of the page and I've also tried right clicking on the layer I have already and I still haven't come up with what you had in your screenshot.

Right click anywhere on your document and go to Windows > Recently Closed Docks > Layers, Channels, Paths, Undo - Brus... This will open up your layers dock.

Excellent tutorial! I really like your signatures, especially the Midna one you are currently using. I like the effects of how it is black outside the middle, I've been trying to find a way to do that, but none look good :(

Anyways I tried out your tutorial in one of my signature requests, and it went very smoothly. They render was difficult to make for me, because I hate being meticulous when I cut things out. Usually I do the fuzzy border tool, delete, and then brush it over with an eraser or use a blur.

This is how it turned out.
lumasig.png

I'm not sure if I like it too much. Your tutorial was GREAT, but I didn't get too creative with this signature. I blended it a little bit with my own style, mainly the lighting. For that I made a new white layer, went to Filters>Artistic>GIMPressionist>Ballpark>Motion Blur (100-150 Length and whatever angle). Then set it to overlay, and then I go to Colors>brightness and Contrast, and set it to what make it look like a cool light and shadow combination.

Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom