• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Triforce of Courage..of What?

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
Many people speculate about the power that the triforce gives Link, but it is awkward since he doesnt have a special power like Ganon or Zelda.

I personally believe the triforce let him master any weapon he touches

Discuss:clap:

It seems that the ToC has the power you described.... Link always seems to be able to perfectly use all the crazy, random stuff he finds in all the dungeons. But I think the ToC is just supposed to grant.... well... courage. It allows him to explore the dark, dangerous dungeons(alliteration not intended), confidently fight the big scary bosses, and stand up to the Ultimate King Of Evil. It also let's him wield the Master Sword and fight with the power of the Sages' Medallions in OoT. Just little things like that

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
In one of my fanfictions, I gave the Triforce phsyical as well as spiritual aspects. For instance, in my story, the Triforce of Power was said to increase muscle-mass, as well as keep adrenline up in battle. The Triforce of Wisdom served to create connections/hyperwiring in the brain - turning the one it bonded to into a genius (with danger of insanity a real threat). The Triforce of Courage, similar to the ToP, served to keep adreneline up in fights and spurred the "fight" impulse of the fight-or-flight response. It also served to lessen the pain of wounds in the one it bonded to (not eliminate pain, just lessen acute impact).

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I'm going to guess that in the Japanese version of the game, the Triforce symbols made more sense, like being Body, Mind, and Soul rather than Power, Wisdom, Courage. That seems more fitting in terms of describing their powers. That's just speculation on my part.

I think that, like some have mentioned, Link's power is a simple one, but a powerful one nonetheless. He has willpower and is pure of heart, which can do great things when used in tandem. He merely has the power to follow through with his good intentions when no one else will seem to act. As cheesy as that sounds, that's how it comes across in the games.

I do also think that, since he has been destined to use certain relics, that he is granted the ability to use them through the Triforce of Courage.

I'm going to guess that in the Japanese version of the game, the Triforce symbols made more sense, like being Body, Mind, and Soul rather than Power, Wisdom, Courage. That seems more fitting in terms of describing their powers. That's just speculation on my part.

I think that, like some have mentioned, Link's power is a simple one, but a powerful one nonetheless. He has willpower and is pure of heart, which can do great things when used in tandem. He merely has the power to follow through with his good intentions when no one else will seem to act. As cheesy as that sounds, that's how it comes across in the games.

I do also think that, since he has been destined to use certain relics, that he is granted the ability to use them through the Triforce of Courage.
I really do not have much to say except, I feel like I should say that this post is perfect! It fully expresses the strength of determination and also explains why it seems a little odd in America. Props.

Though this would only work for the games which Link actually has the Triforce of Courage. When you think about it, there has been more times that Link never had the Triforce and still completed his quest, used various items/weapons, and simply already had the courage to save Zelda or whoever he was saving.

In the original LoZ, Link never had the ToC, but rather found individual pieces of the Triforce of Wisdom and eventually obtained the Triforce of Power when he defeated Ganon. It wasn't until AFTER his adventures in AoL that he was granted the Triforce of Courage, so he never even used it during the quest. Link also never had any of the Triforce pieces during the three Four Swords games. In the Wind Waker continuity, Link did not have the ToC in PH or ST. Link did not have the Triforce in ALttP, LA, or MM either, but was still able to complete his quest just fine. In fact, I would consider ALttP Link's most difficult quest, being that he had to overcome so many obstacles and Ganon at what was apparently his most powerful. So 10 of the now 15 (including SS and considering both Oracle titles as one), Link never had any piece of the Triforce nor was he shown to use its power.

So what we have left is OoT, WW, TP, and OoX (not including SS because right now we have no idea what will happen in that). In OoT and WW, Link had the ToC for half to a little over half of his entire journey. In TP, I believe he had the ToC the entire time. But of these games mentioned so far, Link never had any more ability than he had before in those games without the ToC. Now in OoX, Link was never known to actually "have" a piece of the Triforce, though he did have the symbol on the back of his left hand and after defeating the final boss of the linked quest, his hand did light up and his hearts filled, so you can make whatever you want to of that. Equally, Ocarina of Time was the only other game where Link's hand lit up and his hearts refilled (just before the battle with Ganondorf).

Conclusively, there has only ever been two times that Link has apparently used the power of the Triforce: Once in OoT, which we know he did possess the ToC in that game at the time, and second in OoX, which is questionable if he actually had the ToC's power within him, but I believe it can be safely assumed that he did take some power from the Triforce at least during that one scene. So I would say that the ToC really does nothing to alter Link's abilities since he had those same abilities without it, but it can refill his health at certain times. Perhaps you could make some kind of "meaningful" explanation out of this and say that it gave him the "courage" to defeat these final bosses by making him completely healthy and ready for it.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney

Nice thought, but it doesn't seem to be the case, if the Japanese wikipedia page is correct (though I don't see why it wouldn't be in this instance.) Here is its Ocarina of Time page. I looked up the exact kanji for each word (with a little help from "Google - Language Tools".) They are:

勇気のトライフォース
知恵のトライフォース
力のトライフォース

You can plug them in this dictionary site (an excellent one if anyone's ever studying Japanese) to check for yourself. The first one, "yuuki", translates to "courage; bravery; valour; valor; nerve; boldness". The second, "Chie", has these definitions: "(1) wisdom; wit; sagacity; sense; intelligence; (2) (Buddh) prajna (insight leading to enlightenment)" and the third, "chikara," has this: "force; strength; energy; might; power; agency; authority; influence..."

So they all have some direct translation to Courage/Wisdom/Power. On the other hand, since they have a lot of different meanings that may give them different connotations in Japanese. I particularly like Zelda's - I'm going to have to do more research, but by looking up its wiki page as well "chie" seems to make a distinction between acquired knowledge and enlightenment.

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
So are you telling that the ToC does nothing in particular to Links abilities.. so then why the gods gave him the power, i mean what if Ganon won to Link and took his triforce, the gods will not be able to stop him since he has their power

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
Isn't it supposed to be that Link has the ToC so long as Ganon is alive? I don't have any real evidence to support that, I've just always thought that's how it was. If that's the case, then Link would have it in MM and ALttP. But you're right, he still wouldn't have it in SS (most likely, we'll see I suppose) or LA. You could say that maybe because of his adventures in ALttP, he still had the courage to step up and fight in LA, even without the ToC.

Isn't it supposed to be that Link has the ToC so long as Ganon is alive? I don't have any real evidence to support that, I've just always thought that's how it was. If that's the case, then Link would have it in MM and ALttP. But you're right, he still wouldn't have it in SS (most likely, we'll see I suppose) or LA. You could say that maybe because of his adventures in ALttP, he still had the courage to step up and fight in LA, even without the ToC.
No, it's impossible for Link to have the Triforce of Courage if the Triforce is whole and in the Sacred Realm or Hyrule Castle... Or if Ganon has it, like in ALttP.

Hmm I never thought about what Mr.Mosley pointed out. That makes a lot of sense, so maybe the ToC doesn't really do anything to help Link on his adventures :/ but then again, we know that Ganondorf was still pretty powerful before acquiring the ToP, and the same with Princess Zelda and her Wisdom. So maybe the individual pieces aren't exactly supposed to contain magical affects on their own, but just supposed to symbolize the three "Chosen Ones" across Hyrule and identify what their hearts represent the most. Of course, we do know the ToP grants Ganondorf special power (assuming he couldn't transform into a pig-like creature on his own), but maybe they don't grant as much magic to the user as we've assumed they do. Princess Zelda was already quite wise, and maybe it was her power as a Sage, as apposed to her Triforce piece, that lets her attack Ganon and such.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I'm just going to give my opinion on the matter and say that the Triforce of Power allows Link to master anything that he may need, for example: the ocarina of time, the master sword, various weapons...etc.

It would be silly to think that such a mystical item embedded in a person had no real abilities other than being able to make a glowy triangle appear on the weilder's hand. It just seems so un-zelda like.

Ganon's ToP allows him to have inhuman strength, abilities and as viewed in TP, partial reanimation.
Zelda's ToW allows her to have increased knowledge, healing abilities and fighting abilities.

The ToC must do something. That something is most likely the ability to master any weapon/increased stamina/inhuman health.

Pinecove

Last Chance
Duck said:

From the AlttP SNES manual (direct translation from Japanese):

トライフォースは、それぞれ「力を支配する者」「知恵を司る者」「勇気を鍛える者」の三つの紋章を持ち、その力を受け継ぐにふさわしい者が現れるまで、世界のどこかに ある聖地で輝き続けているそうです。
Each part of the Triforce, "the Ruler of Power", "the Administrator of Wisdom" and "the Forger of Courage", carried a crest. Until the appearance of an appropiate person who would take over this force, it was located in a holy place somewhere in the world, shining continiously.

So no, the Triforce really DOES have crests of courage wisdom and power.

As for the theory itself, Link doesn't have the ToC in every game. It's just a gameplay mechanic that link learns to use all his items so quickly.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
From the AlttP SNES manual (direct translation from Japanese):

Ah, manual quotes. Even better.

I have pondered this before and can't figure out where my other post was - I wanted to see if I'd changed my thinking since then. In any case, the triforce pieces go to the people who best represent them, so it's not as if it grants him courage, though I suppose it could amplify it or channel it. Still, there is still the problem that MrMosley brings up, that not all the Links possess it in every game. I had the thought that perhaps it goes to the person the goddesses think can best protect it. That can only be speculation, though.

One reason I liked the wolf form in TP is that it seemed to give a visible effect of the triforce of courage, and one that is logical - if Ganondorf can use his piece of the triforce to become beast Ganon, it makes sense that Link could use his in a similar way* (evil beast against sacred beast, as Midna says.) There was a line of dialogue that hinted at that:

"In the land covered in twilight, where people roam as spirits, you were transformed into a blue-eyed beast... That was a sign... It was a sign that the powers of the chosen one rest within you...and that they are awakening." (the Light Spirit Faron)

It's not necessarily proof- it depends on if you interpret it as Link changing because he possessed the Triforce of Courage, or if the two were powers that were granted by the goddesses but are unrelated. Still, it provides fodder for theorizing, at least.

(*Meaning it affected how he reacted to the Twilight somehow. I realize the triforce itself didn't change him, the Twilight/shadow crystal did.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom