• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tools / Weapons You DESPISE

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
There is already a useless items thread. I'm talking about items you not only find useless, but *cumbersome* and *obnoxious.*

Most of the weapons and tools in Zelda games are pretty cool, ingenious, even. I've never seen anything like the Beetle in a videogame before - it was awesome. The Dominion Rod? Everyone says it's useless, but I actually liked it because I could command a giant statue in the Temple of Time that I nicknamed Alphonse because it reminded me of an anime character.

There is, however, a Zelda weapon / tool that I actually dislike a great deal.

I *loathe* the Spinner from Twilight Princess.

Hate it, hate it, HATE. IT. First of all, it's pretty useless. It has a small application as a weapon if you're in close proximity to enemies when you first get on it, but after that, it peters out too quickly. If the thing were "tap a button to keep it going" and then tap another button to stop at will and it kept going until you commanded it to stop, it would have been cool. As it is, it's like a fart.

And the railings! Urgh. It is only of any use if you find a wall with a long rail on it, and then, it's so touchy! Also, there are some walls in the game that look rail-like, but *aren't,* so it's deceptive. It's also just too obvious when there is a working rail. It's like "Hey, something special is here!" instead of being a nice random exploration thing. With bombs, you can explore the land - blow up rocks and sometimes get something, sometimes get nothing. The Spinner rails scream at me like I'm an idiot. And then, I can't always stay on them when there are gaps.

I love Stallord - I mean... giant skeleton-dragon! I hated the battle mechanics in fighting him, however, because... running along rails in the wall with the Spinner until you can wham him --- boring. A boss like that deserved a better battle and a better tool to fight with.

I'm sure many people have great fun with the Spinner, but I just don't like the thing. I'd sell it to the Malo Mart if I could.

I hate the whip in SS.

It has the appearance of a useful item but it really isn't. In other Zelda games we could have just swung on a rope to close a gap or flipped a switch or completed a puzzle to flip a switch but no, SS forces us to use the whip for levers that are just out of reach so that we HAVE to use it, and in some cases use it multiple times to twist a switch which was also bloody annoying. Whips in general can hurt too, i thought Link would be able to down an enemy and whip it to death or even just use it as a long range weapon but no on both counts since the whip doesn't damage enemies like it should, and the only thing it can do in battle is steal items from enemies. This is most annoying in the horde battle when you have to run through a crowd of bokoblins for one muppet with a horn and snatch it off him, the whip doesn't have a very long range either so its even more frustrating and much easier just to spam bombs and pick the horn up from the crowd of smoking corpses.

So yeah, really hated the whip, wasn't a fan of the beetle either, it was overused far too much and for me it was boring to use.

The Dominion Rod? Everyone says it's useless, but I actually liked it because I could command a giant statue in the Temple of Time that I nicknamed Alphonse because it reminded me of an anime character.

Aaugh, why didn't I see that connection?! I could have been talking to an alchemy buddy during the whole Temple of Time! It would spruce up the experience a bit.

At any rate, my most hated item (even though it's not like a burning hatred, more like a simmering one) is the Mogma Mitts from Skyward Sword. Outside of mandatory uses, they were only good for a very select few spots that led to things like Goddess Cubes or a Piece of Heart. Like items such as the whip and the Dominion Rod from Twilight Princess, it was underused outside of its dungeon. Beyond that, the Mogma Mitts are so limiting. Link moves so slowly without holding A to make him go faster, and the stamina gauge runs out quickly. Since each underground section is designed like a grid, you can only move in straight lines at a sluggish pace. Then the game mixes it up by throwing in mini-boss encounters you have to deal with before moving on, which makes me feel even more claustrophobic and doesn't seem like a good use of a mini-boss. I'm not really claustrophobic, but I still feel a sense of irritation from using the Mogma Mitts. It felt like it was just crammed into the game 'cause it sounded cool, not because there was actually a good use for it. It barely even uses motion controls at all, so it can't have been that inspired.

It's not an item set that I absolutely can't stand, but it does qualify as my most hated item in the series. Then again, some items like the ones from Link's Awakening might fit the bill since you had to pause and switch items so often, and bumping into breakable objects usually resulted in some irksome text telling you that you need a special item to destroy it. Every time.

But generally, yes, the Mogma Mitts are my most hated item.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I've only one pet peeve, and that is my aversion to the Slingshot even being in a Zelda game. Yeah, it's the first item that Link obtains in three of the 3D titles, and it has its place as the solver for long-distance puzzles. But once we get the Bow, all need for the Slingshot is gone. Afterwards, I don't even remember that I have the Slingshot! Fact is, it's a very poor substitute for the Bow, or even the Hook/Clawshot, considering that it's nothing but a placeholder for both of these superior weapons. I despise it because it instantly becomes obsolete after being exchanged for the other ballistic items. In Ocarina of Time it had some use as the beginning item for a totally reinvented idea of a Dungeon, but its need dwindled later in the game nonetheless. I'd just as soon have the Bow as the initial long-range weapon, I guess. Certainly didn't hurt Majora's Mask any...

bunny

birb overlord
The ball and chain. Link could barely move while holding that thing, and the only time I really used it was in Snowpeak. Plus it's super fugly. ._.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Thareous said:
I've only one pet peeve, and that is my aversion to the Slingshot even being in a Zelda game. Yeah, it's the first item that Link obtains in three of the 3D titles, and it has its place as the solver for long-distance puzzles. But once we get the Bow, all need for the Slingshot is gone. Afterwards, I don't even remember that I have the Slingshot! Fact is, it's a very poor substitute for the Bow, or even the Hook/Clawshot, considering that it's nothing but a placeholder for both of these superior weapons. I despise it because it instantly becomes obsolete after being exchanged for the other ballistic items. In Ocarina of Time it had some use as the beginning item for a totally reinvented idea of a Dungeon, but its need dwindled later in the game nonetheless. I'd just as soon have the Bow as the initial long-range weapon, I guess. Certainly didn't hurt Majora's Mask any...
Amen.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The ball and chain. Link could barely move while holding that thing, and the only time I really used it was in Snowpeak. Plus it's super fugly. ._.

This pretty much sums up my complaints. Any items that slow down my movement are a no for me. It makes it hard to use them in battle. I prefer to always be nimble, so when my speed gets reduced like that, it really bugs me. Plus it was kind of a pain to use.

Another item I didn't really like is the Dominion Rod. Items that only have one particular use are incredibly boring in my opinion. I think items need to have more flexibility. Items should be able to be used in multiple different situations. The Whip is SS pulled this off very well, I think, since I regularly use it for a lot of things even outside dungeons.

Last edited:

Big Octo

=^)
I'd say the Magic Book/Bible from the original LoZ. I prefer not to nerf my magic rod, so I always avoid it.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan

I agree with you entirely. The Slingshot is the most poorly implemented piece of equipment in the Zelda series. I don't understand it's existence whatsoever. In Ocarina of Time, it wasn't immediately replaced, but as soon as Link became an adult; the Bow was in his grasp. Same basically goes for Twilight Princess. The Slingshot was almost instantly replaced by the Bow in only the second dungeon. They really should have just dropped the Slingshot as a weapon idea, seeing as the bow will shortly replace it in a given time.

I think it's pronounced Atticus.
Excuse me?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Either the Cane of Byrna or the Dominion Rod. Both really have no place being in a video game with how utterly useless they are.

It has the appearance of a useful item but it really isn't. In other Zelda games we could have just swung on a rope to close a gap or flipped a switch or completed a puzzle to flip a switch but no, SS forces us to use the whip for levers that are just out of reach so that we HAVE to use it...

Eactly when did we not swing across gaps and flip switches with the Whip in SS? I'm not saying the Whip was a good item in SS -- it wasn't -- but you're accusing it of not doing things that it actually did, which is unfair criticism.

...and in some cases use it multiple times to twist a switch which was also bloody annoying.

I can recall only two instances where this was required. Beyond that, it's not that big of a deal. We've had to do that by shooting switches with the Bow before, and much more often than we did with the Whip. Again, unfair criticism.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The one tool that I think is a true hassle to use is Skyward Sword's Beetle. Honestly, piloting that thing just feels too sensitive and at the same time unresponsive at all. I mean, I'm way exaggerating when I say this, but the Beetle aside from the Whip is probably the biggest annoying item in SS. When I tilt the Wiimote to, you know, move the thing, it doesn't move. When I try to move it inch by little inch, it goes way off the intended course. User error? Probably. Annoying? Yes, definitely. I'd MUCH rather have a boomerang!

Excuse me?

Attbby, you're the best tool ever. ilu <3

Oh, speaking of Atikus, the Slingshot in Twilight Princess is a very annoying, useless, despicable tool. Just tell me, what the hell is its application? When should we ever use it, given that we get the Bow and Arrow just two dungeons later (not even five hours into the game)? Why does it exist? This isn't a deal where only one half of Link can use it (think Ocarina of Time), this isn't a deal where it has some capabilities that the Bow doesn't (when is this ever true, except maybe scatter damage because pellets do in fact burst on contact in most cases)...the Slingshot is just totally obsolete. Pointless, I say, pointless!

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The one tool that I think is a true hassle to use is Skyward Sword's Beetle. Honestly, piloting that thing just feels too sensitive and at the same time unresponsive at all. I mean, I'm way exaggerating when I say this, but the Beetle aside from the Whip is probably the biggest annoying item in SS. When I tilt the Wiimote to, you know, move the thing, it doesn't move. When I try to move it inch by little inch, it goes way off the intended course. User error? Probably. Annoying? Yes, definitely. I'd MUCH rather have a boomerang!

If it's user error then there's no room for you to complain. The Beetle functions flawlessly just like everything involving Skyward Sword's controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom