• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

To Defeat a Phantom, You Need the Phantom Sword... Right?

bds1110

Imp
I was just thinking about how you're supposed to defeat a phantom.
In Phantom Hourglass, you need the Phantom Sword to defeat a phantom. But in Spirit Tracks, Link defeats phantoms and Zelda then controls them.

So, if this is true, how does the Spirit Tracks Link defeat a Phantom with no Phantom Sword? :huh:

I really don't see how this can work.

Dungeon killer

Dungeon's Shall Fall!
In Ph bellum powered the phantoms and they could only be defeated with the phantom sword but the phantoms in St might just be regular people that can be defeated when hit in the back or the armour is just lying around. We don't know the full details yet but maybe the game will give us a better idea, I can't wait till Decemeber 7th.:nod::clap:

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Hmm... interesting observation bds1110. I actually kinda surprised I didn't think of this sooner.

Well as for the Phantoms... we know they were super powered by Bellum to only be killed by the Phantom Sword and in Spirit Tracks you need to power up your sword with Tears of Light which may possibly be the power that the Phantom Sword contained. However it is said by Zauz that only sacred metals can hold the power that is used to defeat Bellum.

However in Spirit Tracks you can't kill Phantoms but rather stun them with your sword powered by a Tear of Light allowing Zelda to possess them.

In fact the Phantoms may very well be clue as to who the main antagonist of Spirit Tracks is (possibly Bellum somehow) but I won't get too into that.

All in all yes I do believe that the only thing capable of truly killing a phantom is a Phantom Sword.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
In fact the Phantoms may very well be clue as to who the main antagonist of Spirit Tracks is (possibly Bellum somehow) but I won't get too into that.

The main antagonist of Spirit Tracks has already been revealed, Master Kokiri 9.
It is The Demon King. Also referred to (In the spanish version) as Mallard.

But, back to the topic at hand.

Yes, that may be true that the Phantom Sword could only defeat Phantoms, but those were Bellum's Phantoms. Created by different magic.

The Phantom Guardians, as they are reffered to in ST, are there to protect the Spirit Tower from Evil and other invaders.
They were probably created by the Light Spirits who protected the land.
(Feel free to correct me on this).

But, this is an interesting theory. But I find it unlikely that you require the Phantom Sword to deactivate the Phantoms in ST.

You could stun the Phantoms in PH before you got the Phantom Sword. In ST, you only stun them, and Zelda takes control. I'm guessing Zelda taking over their soul and then leaving would make them empty shells, thus, destroying them when Zelda leaves their armor.

I'm more confused over the fact that if Bellum created the Phantoms, what are they doing in ST, when Bellum's dead?

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Official UK Spirit Tracks Site said:
Link's old foes, the Phantoms, are back in force, but this time Link has a secret weapon - Zelda's spirit! If Link collects three Tears of Light in certain dungeons, he can attack Phantoms from behind and stun them. This gives Zelda's spirit just enough time to enter the Phantom and take control of the clanking combatant.

'Nuff said on that point... and I think I read somewhere that the 'guardians of the tower of the spirits have gone haywire' or something, although it could have been just speculation.... I'll see if I can find it :)

If it is true it means the Phantoms were created for the purpose of good, to protect and guard something/somewhere, but have been hijacked by something evil (Bellum and The Demon King?). That works for PH as well as ST, which means Bellum might not have had anything to do with the Phantoms' creation. It's an interesting thought :3

Megamannt125

Blue Link
'Nuff said on that point... and I think I read somewhere that the 'guardians of the tower of the spirits have gone haywire' or something, although it could have been just speculation.... I'll see if I can find it :)

If it is true it means the Phantoms were created for the purpose of good, to protect and guard something/somewhere, but have been hijacked by something evil (Bellum and The Demon King?). That works for PH as well as ST, which means Bellum might not have had anything to do with the Phantoms' creation. It's an interesting thought :3
In Phantom Hourglass it revealed that the Phantoms were the guardians of the Temple of the Ocean King, corrupted by Bellum, so obviously they were meant for good, my only question is why they are even in Spirit Tracks.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
In Phantom Hourglass it revealed that the Phantoms were the guardians of the Temple of the Ocean King, corrupted by Bellum, so obviously they were meant for good, my only question is why they are even in Spirit Tracks.

Ahh, I must have missed that in PH >>;
But idk, because they do a good job at guarding things? For continuity? The Spirits created them to guard various sacred places? Link and Tetra thought they were a good idea so copied them when they found the new land? There are various possibilities, some more likely than others :)

And I can't find where I heard that quote... I thought it was on the GTTV episode, but it wasn't. Ah well xD That doesn't really change that you don't need the Phantom Sword in order to stun them :D

Thought of this earlier myself.

Keep in mind the absence of Bellum. In this game, the Phantoms are the guardians of the Tower of Spirits, so they're goodguys. Although it is true they're going haywire, that still doesn't involve Bellum unless that's who the Demon King truly is, which I find very doubtful.

I haven't gotten a good look at it to know one way or the other, but what's to say the sword Link has in the game isn't the Phantom Sword? And where does it state that the Tears of Light go into the sword? I remember it stating that you need the Tears of Light for Zelda to possess a Phantom, not to make your sword capable of defeating them... :?

Like everyone else said, Bellum enpowered the phantoms. But I would just make a wild guess and say that for ST, the phantom would act similar to a Darknut in previous games. If this is, than you would just fight a little till Zelda can take control of it.

Odin

The Dark Prince of Hyrule
you won't have the phantom sword with you in Spirit tracks to beat the phantom because the phantom becomes your ally in the game through the dungeons.

Like other people have been saying, it was possible to stun phantoms in PH without the Phantom Sword. I'm not sure if you could do this with a sword slash, but I'm sure you could by shooting them in the backside with an arrow. If arrows work for that purpose, why not a slightly powered up sword?

As for the "but Bellum's not in it, how could there be phantoms?" question, phantoms might just be semi-sentient guardians of holy places that were created perhaps by Hylians, or perhaps by the "good spirits" mentioned in the ST prologue. Whichever, they would have had to be in both the PH world and the WW/ST one.

I haven't gotten a good look at it to know one way or the other, but what's to say the sword Link has in the game isn't the Phantom Sword? And where does it state that the Tears of Light go into the sword? I remember it stating that you need the Tears of Light for Zelda to possess a Phantom, not to make your sword capable of defeating them... :?

Eh, I doubt the sword that Link has in ST is the Phantom Sword. If it was, then why couldn't you kill Phantoms right off the bat? Besides, did Link even have the Phantom Sword at the end of PH, after he left the world of the Ocean King? I don't remember.
As for the Tears of Light, I don't recall anything saying that they would power up Link's sword, but what else would they do? I suppose they be what gives Zelda the ability to possess the phantoms, but I'm leaning towards the sword.

Eh, I doubt the sword that Link has in ST is the Phantom Sword. If it was, then why couldn't you kill Phantoms right off the bat? Besides, did Link even have the Phantom Sword at the end of PH, after he left the world of the Ocean King? I don't remember.
As for the Tears of Light, I don't recall anything saying that they would power up Link's sword, but what else would they do? I suppose they be what gives Zelda the ability to possess the phantoms, but I'm leaning towards the sword.

Well, this is the exact wording:

---Zelda can't inhabit a Phantom until you (a) get the three Tears of Light in an area, and (b) strike it from behind with your sword.
While the second bold statement involves striking the Phantom with your sword, why would they mention Zelda inhabiting the Phantoms specifically? If it was more a matter of powering up your sword so you can kill the Phantom, wouldn't it be worded more like "Zelda can't inhabit a Phantom unless you kill it with your sword powered up with the Tears of Light"?

The way it's worded sounds to me that it's more a matter of you need the Tears of Light for Zelda to inhabit the Phantom, no that you need them to kill the Phantom in the first place. Perhaps this is because of the strange dark clouds and storms around the Tower of Spirits, or some power of the Demon King? The presence of the Tears of Light could suggest a "dark power" of some kind that controls the Phantoms.

Also, this has brought to my attention that it says you must strike the Phantoms from behind, not kill them. So perhaps the absence of the Phantom Sword makes sense because you can't even kill them at all? Perhaps you just stun them and have Zelda possess them.

Katelynn

Flirtatously Flirty
*UPDATE* Phantoms in ST cannot be defeated, just stunned by your sword powered up with tears of light. The Lokomo Sword can stun them with-out tears, as so can the bow of Light. The main bad guy is also not Bellum, but indeed, Malladus. And yes, the Phantoms were good, but were taken over by Malladus's evil spirit so now they're.... evil I guess....

The Phantom Sword in PH was only capable of actually killing Phantoms as it was made with the Pure Metals, and was also contructed slightly from the Phantom Hourglass, which keeps adventure(ers) safe from the death fog. (as long as there's sand at the top of course)

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
I believe it is because has the Tears of Light that powered up his sword. When he attacks the Phantom it is dazed and Zelda takes over the body and removing the spirit of the Phantom. When she exits, there is no longer any life in the body, so it dies. technically Link can't kill a phantom in Spirit Tracks, Zelda does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom