• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Timeline Discussion

So, you think that Link isn't sealed for seven years in this timeline when tries to pick up the MS in this branch?

That's indeed the way I see things in my story :)

If you're referring to what I think you're referring to, they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Sure, but if both origins are in the same story, it doesn't make a very well written story.
Personally, I've always favored writting and the idea to have a pleasant story over the idea of linking all the games at all costs, despite whatever Aonuma himself might say. (After all, he once said himself he liked the idea that everyone could make his/her own idea of the timeline and that he has never been really concerned about it himself. Surely each one of us over here thought about it more than him ^^)

Ganon is in FSA though, and we know its not his first appearance since FSA Ganon is a reincarnation of the previous Ganon, which means Ganon must have died before. No reason why TP can't be that game.

Yeah sure, but it also could be any other game besides TP, so...
It could be AlttP or ALBW (because of the map design) or even Zelda 1 or BotW...
I personnaly don't like to connect scenarios "just because it's possible".

-OoX Link should be seperate from any other Link, as Link and Zelda don't know eachother. This is probably why Encyclopedia changed it, and it works better IMO.

Yes I know, but I've always found weird that Link and Zelda don't know eachother in OoX, as Link enters Hyrule castle at the beginning like it's his house... To me, it's a little plot hole inside those games.

Link's Awakening is obviously some type of a sequel to A Link to the Past, not only is a shadow of Agahnim shown, but also Lamola and other bosses from A Link to the Past. This isn't a coincidence.

Of course it isn't a coincidence. ^^
That's mainly because during developpement, Link's Awakening was supposed to be a pure port of A Link to the Past (same map, same story, same gameplay,...) It was changed halfway, but a lot of things remained ;-)
However, I personnaly make a difference between visual similarities and story elements.
In the end, Link's Awakening background mainly refered to the NES games according to me.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Of course it isn't a coincidence. ^^
That's mainly because during developpement, Link's Awakening was supposed to be a pure port of A Link to the Past (same map, same story, same gameplay,...) It was changed halfway, but a lot of things remained ;-)
However, I personnaly make a difference between visual similarities and story elements.
In the end, Link's Awakening background mainly refered to the NES games according to me.
It's true the game began as an effort to port ALttP to the GameBoy, but instead became it's own game. But keep in mind the concept of the plot would have came much later, so to commit to a final form of the game's final boss turning into shadows of A Link to the Past bosses is a story choice and not an attempt to merely re-use assets. I always interpreted the final battle as Dethl manifesting as nightmares from this Link's past, it's really the only way this makes sense. So I disagree with you writing this off as a mere easter egg cameo appearences.

I don't see any similar story elements between Link's Awakening and The Legend of Zelda/Adventure of Link. Link's Awakening is a self-contained game with more slight nods to A Link to the Past.

Last edited:
Well, each person focus more on specific things than others. ^^
I understand very well why a lot of people like to see Link's Awakening as a sequel to A Link to the Past because of the last boss.
And besides, it's also what the official timeline states after all. :)

For me however, these lines are the most important thing when I'm wondering where Link's Awakening could connect in the global story.
When I read that back in 1993, it immediatly made me think about Zelda 1 and The Adventure of Link.

Capture.JPG
We already knew that Hyrule people suffered from Ganon tyranny in Zelda 1 - whereas they don't even know him in A Link to the Past - and that they were slowly rebuiding the kingdom during The Adventure of Link. Besides, Ganon's ashes can only be seen in Zelda 1 and were already a threat in The Adventure of Link.

It all depends on which aspect(s) of the games is/are the most important to someone :)

I understand very well why a lot of people like to see Link's Awakening as a sequel to A Link to the Past because of the last boss.

For me however, these lines are the most important thing when I'm wondering where Link's Awakening could connect in the global story.
When I read that back in 1993, it immediatly made me think about Zelda 1 and The Adventure of Link.

View attachment 45504
We already knew that Hyrule people suffered from Ganon tyranny in Zelda 1 - whereas they don't even know him in A Link to the Past - and that they were slowly rebuiding the kingdom during The Adventure of Link. Besides, Ganon's ashes can only be seen in Zelda 1 and were already a threat in The Adventure of Link.

It all depends on which aspect(s) of the games is/are the most important to someone :)

From what remember this wasn't in the JP manual. It just said that he defeated the Demon King Ganon. I'll try and find a translation later.

Even so, Ganon's ashes seem to be metaphorical in this manual, and Agahnim is a bunshin of Ganon, so they were under his tyranny. Why wouldn't this come to light after the defeat of Ganon, especially when the maidens know who he was?

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
I still stand by ALttP Link being a playboy who's been with so many chicks that they all sorta blend together (from his horrible perspective).

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff

View attachment 45504

"Ganon's Ashes" reads to me as a methaporical statement here. It isn't mentioning his literal ashes, it just means in his absence, because he is seemingly dead, a new foe might rise up.

So 3 shadows of bosses from A Link to the Past in Link's Awakening is meatier substance than one passage from a game manual that I feel like you are misinterpreting to begin with.

Now, if you wanted to make a somewhat convincing argument that LA should go after LoZ/AoL, you'd be better off using the Oracle games as the means to do so because you have it following those games and then leading into LA. Iirc the Oracle games were originally going to be a port of The Legend of Zelda, but Miyamoto decided to make 3 new games instead. They may have had more intentions for the Oracle games to be connected to TLoZ than ALttP. However this doesn't remedy Princess Zelda's introduction because this Link would have already met her too (I still feel like that was a nitpick from fans that ruined the nice segue it had for the connected ending leading to LA).

Overall, I don't think your timeline is bad, I actually like your idea of placing TMC, FS, FSA, and TFH as their own off-shoot continuity instead of trying to fit them into the other games.

AwdryFan1997

One of these days, I'm gonna make my own timeline... might as well get started on that now...

(Also, that bit about "foreign countries" in the JP manual confirms Oracle's placement prior to LA don't @ me)

AwdryFan1997

1. The Encyclopedia placement makes more sense, though, with Link and Zelda not knowing eachother, for one thing.

2. Then why do you think this proves a pre-OoX placement?
1. ALttP Link's a playboy who's been with so many chicks he loses track.

2. Labrynna and Holodrum were "foreign countries".

AwdryFan1997

1. Proof?

2. No evidence of them being the same countries that Link went to prior to LA.
1. The games themselves. I mean, we've got Zelda, Marin, Din, Nayru, the ****ing tree... not all of these relationships were necessarily romantic, but, I mean, it's Link.

2. Yes, but I think that comment is justification for OoX being prequels.

Users who are viewing this thread