• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Timeline Discussion

Another interesting section from what @Moblinking5000 posted;

This would indicate the DT or AT, since those are the only timelines where Nabooru awakened as a sage. We could have assumed that from the fact that Naboris was named after her, but it could've just been that she was an important person in Gerudo history. This specifically places her as a sage.

I mean Ruto is mentioned as being a sage as well in BotW, too.

Also, Nabooru is called a sage in the JP version of BotW:

ナボール…

Nabooru...

神話に謳われるゲルド族の賢者

A sage of the Gerudo tribe, extolled in myth.

Last edited:

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Though, I'm still not down for the idea that we know for a fact that the sages were never awakened for the child timeline. It's more of an unknown.
We don't know what happened to Impa/Saria/etc but we do know that the sages we see in TP are most certainly not them (unless Darunia has slimmed down quite a bit). We know that shortly after Link is returned to the AT (shortly can range from weeks to years) Ganondorf was arranged to be executed by the TP sages. While the games never explicitly state what became of Impa and the rest we can infer that there would have been no need for them to awaken if the hero wasn't trying to seal Ganondorf away, and the TP sages were most likely elected sages, or at least the Arbiter's Grounds prison wardens with a fancy title.

we do know that the sages we see in TP are most certainly not them (unless Darunia has slimmed down quite a bit).

Thing is, the forms we see don't match any race. Best we can say, is that we really don't know. The bodies look artificial. If they are artificial, they could be nearly anyone.

I'm not saying this is somehow proof that the sages in question were awakened. I am saying that we literally don't have enough information to say one way or another

Though, I'm still not down for the idea that we know for a fact that the sages were never awakened for the child timeline. It's more of an unknown.

''When evil rules all, an awakening voice from the Sacred Realm will call those destined to be Sages, who dwell in the five temples. One in a deep forest... One on a high mountain... One under a vast lake... One within the house of the dead... One inside a goddess of the sand...''-Sheik

The Awakened Sages are destined to awaken, ''When evil rules all.'' Ganondorf never takes over Hyrule in the CT.

an awakening voice from the Sacred Realm will call those destined to be Sages,

Two parts of this line I would like to point out. First, there's no statement here that suggests that this is the only way a sage is awakened. Or, for that matter, who's voice that is. For all we know, and it is plausible, that it is Raru calling out. If it is Raru awakening the sages, he could do so in any timeline. And, more importantly whoever the voice is coming from, would be able to do so as well. Add in that Link knows exactly who the sages are, it would be much easier than before.

Secondly, it states that they are destined. If they really are destined, then Hyrule being taken over is just one ov numerous events that would lead to the awakening. Without the destiny bit, I have been on the "we just don't know" side of things. But, that statement suggests to me that there is a good chance the sages are indeed awakened, in all three timelines. It is their destiny.

There's also a prophecy that Link is supposed to become the Hero of Time. Yet, he never becomes the HoT in the CT, because he changed history. Changing history/destiny is an underlying theme of the CT, between the HoT never being recognized as a hero, to Ganondorf dying forgotten instead of becoming the scourge of Hyrule, etc.

''Evil ruling all'' may not be a condition for sages to awaken in general, but it is presented as being the condition required for the OoT sages to awaken. And as said above, ''Evil does not rule all'' in the CT. The prophecy doesn't present any other alternaive scenario in which those specific sages are awakened.

Remember; evil ruling all, the coming of the Hero of Time, and the awakening of the sages are all a part of the same prophecy. And yet, neither of the two former parts come to pass on the CT. Why assume that the latter does?

Since the Ancient Sages exist in SS and they have the same medallions as the OoT and TP sages, isn't it a safer assumption to assume its them?

Also, both the AT(the stained glass windows in Hyrule Castle in TWW) and the DT(the sage town names in Zelda 2) both make it clear that the sages are known and remembered, but yet, even in TPHD, there's only a statue of Rauru, who was also one of the Ancient Sages; the identities of the other sages are not made clear. Why is that?

Not to mention, Master Works/Creating a Champion says that Ruto awakening and helping the hero seal Ganon away after he transformed through his power is what happened in the world of BotW; this only happens in the AT ending of OoT(where he's in his beast/pig form for the final boss fight) and the DT ending(where he transforms into said form before being sealed by the princess and sages, like what that passage from MW says). Even if you're hellbent on the OoT sages awakening in the CT, the history of the CT does not match the history of BotW.

Last edited:
The only thing I'm sure of is that Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time are the backstories of almost all the Zelda games. I actually don't really agree with Minish Cap and Four Swords being before Oot since Mc has so many Ocarina of Time and even Majora's Mask references, and I really believe Ganondorf was the first villain Link and Zelda came across, not Vaati (since Ganondorf is Demise). Honestly, most of the official timeline is complete crap. I really did try accepting it, but people shouldn't lie to themselves when they know something's a lie. There's too many contradictions in it, and I honestly don't know why some people continue to take it seriously after Breath of the Wild.
Here's just one example of what I mean: Link left Hyrule at the end of Ocarina of Time to look for Navi. It's explicitly stated in the prologue to Majora's Mask. Zelda gives him the Ocarina of Time as a farewell gift, and is sad to see him go.
Yet Nintendo retcons it to say Zelda sent Link off so he wouldn't try to open the Sacred Realm for Ganondorf (who apparently is unsealed now? why didn't he stay sealed after Link got back to his childhood? He was already in the Sacred Realm for the Triforce right after Link pulled the Master Sword; just have Ganondorf stay sealed in it after Link places the Master Sword back in its pedestal). It's a lame made-up retcon, since she didn't need to send Link off for anything. Going after Navi was the true reason that Link left.
Then Nintendo says Zelda was suddenly able to convince her father to criminalize Ganondorf for something he didn't even do yet. So dumb and false. You don't have to like Ganondorf to know how wrong this is, and know Hyrule's benevolent government would never do something so unjust. The king didn't believe his own daughter that Ganondorf was a bad guy; why would he suddenly believe her because a kid dressed in green told her?
Link having the mark of the Triforce on his hand isn't proof that Ganondorf is evil. It's such awful, convoluted "logic" on Nintendo's part, and it's everywhere in their explanation of the official timeline. The king is more apt to think Link stole the Triforce rather than it being proof of Ganondorf's evil.
I also don't believe the made-up lie that Zelda didn't remember Link after going back seven years. She's Hylia reincarnate, how could he remember but not her? She did, because the prologue to Majora's Mask shows it:

"In the land of Hyrule, there echoes a legend. A legend held dearly by the Royal Family that tells of a boy...

A boy who, after battling evil and saving Hyrule, crept away from the land that had made him a legend...

Done with the battles he once waged across time, he embarked on a journey. A secret and personal journey...

A journey in search of a beloved and invaluable friend...

A friend with whom he parted ways when he finally fulfilled his heroic destiny and took his place among legends..."

Someone in Hyrule's royal family added Link to their cache of legends very shortly after the events of Oot--knew the heroics this young boy took across time. Who the hell else would it be but the crown princess of Hyrule who gasped in shock when her hero returned to her in the courtyard ending scene in Oot?

The Zelda producers said Breath of the Wild takes place after all the other games, is the very last one on the universal chronology so far. That's obvious; I didn't need their crap timeline to tell me that.

Last edited:
The king didn't believe his own daughter that Ganondorf was a bad guy; why would he suddenly believe her because a kid dressed in green told her?
Link having the mark of the Triforce on his hand isn't proof that Ganondorf is evil. It's such awful, convoluted "logic" on Nintendo's part, and it's everywhere in their explanation of the official timeline. The king is more apt to think Link stole the Triforce rather than it being proof of Ganondorf's evil.
Hylia sent you from heaven, I have been literally arguing this for 8 months.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Idk what I just read.

since Mc has so many Ocarina of Time and even Majora's Mask references
Where?

Yet Nintendo retcons it to say Zelda sent Link off so he wouldn't try to open the Sacred Realm for Ganondorf
She didn't do anything like this as far as I remember...

Then Nintendo says Zelda was suddenly able to convince her father to criminalize Ganondorf for something he didn't even do yet. So dumb and false. You don't have to like Ganondorf to know how wrong this is, and know Hyrule's benevolent government would never do something so unjust. The king didn't believe his own daughter that Ganondorf was a bad guy; why would he suddenly believe her because a kid dressed in green told her?
The King made up his own mind after Link did the convincing, not Zelda, and the mark of the Triforce of Courage was proof that Link legitimatly time traveled.

The Zelda producers said Breath of the Wild takes place after all the other games, is the very last one on the universal chronology so far. That's obvious; I didn't need their crap timeline to tell me that.
This is false, they have not confirmed where it is, just that it is at the end of one of the timelines. The official website depicts Breath of the Wild at the end of all 3 with a divider, indicating it has no definitive placement yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom