• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Time of Day

But that's happened in every game since Ocarina of Time. Is it really an absolute necessity to the series? Isn't dropping it for one game fine?

Sure, I wouldn't mind Nintendo omitting it in one game, or two for that matter :D.

It just seems like a staple to the Zelda series to include "time of day-based events/scenarios", and I would really like to see how it works in Skyward Sword with the supposed two overworlds, alterations in the traditional flow of adventuring, etc. I wonder how it would look if they truly implemented time of day-based scenarios like Majora's Mask did sans the three day limit, as other Zelda games in the series lacked the "umph" that MM had with its time of day-based events.

This, of course, would only include side-quests, trade sequences,, etc., and NOT a dramatic integral part of the game's overall story/plot...(unless it works :P)

Sure, I wouldn't mind Nintendo omitting it in one game, or two for that matter :D.

It just seems like a staple to the Zelda series to include "time of day-based events/scenarios", and I would really like to see how it works in Skyward Sword with the supposed two overworlds, alterations in the traditional flow of adventuring, etc. I wonder how it would look if they truly implemented time of day-based scenarios like Majora's Mask did sans the three day limit, as other Zelda games in the series lacked the "umph" that MM had with its time of day-based events.

This, of course, would only include side-quests, trade sequences,, etc., and NOT a dramatic integral part of the game's overall story/plot...(unless it works :P)
That would be interesting I'll admit. Though... it sort of looks like Skyward Sword is a game that focuses on adventuring primarily, not fetch quests and odd jobs for townsfolk, but rather exploring the world, solving puzzles, fighting monsters, and bringing back what you find for people. That so far seems to be the direction they're going with the game, and it sounds fun. Like The Wind Waker mixed with the original Legend of Zelda, in a way. I'm interested in them trying that again, because we haven't had it in a while, and I hope they follow through on those themes and it's not just what it seems like right now.

That said, there will likely be NPCs sprinkled throughout the world to do stuff with, as there are in any Zelda game, so we'll likely still get plenty of sidequests, I just don't see the day and night system being that relevant... I dunno, something where we'll have to wait and see I guess. :sweat:

I also agree that it'll make the game seem realistic. It's like Link rests when the player rests. In other games like OoT Link is a complete insomniac. Nobody normal can stay up for that many nights in a row!

You're assuming that every single Zelda game needs to have day or night based sidequests. From what we've seen of Skyward Sword, the game primarily revolves around flying around the sky, revisiting your hub town (Skyloft, your hometown), and diving to the land below. Time of day doesn't seem relevant to that. Especially since the only thing that time of day has every strongly affected is the goings-on in town, and we probably won't have a large focus on towns in this game.

I don't imagine Skyward Sword will consider day and night that important, so I think that the idea of realistic time would be awesome, especially if all effort of what it affects was put into the visuals; if they put a lot of work into the visuals of either time of day and made it striking with the artstyle, then that would be amazing. Similarly, because of the artstyle I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they made it always stay day, although thinking about it logically, that would be unlikely.

But that's happened in every game since Ocarina of Time. Is it really an absolute necessity to the series? Isn't dropping it for one game fine?

I lol'd.

Seasonal changes won't occur without major storyline significance, and we clearly will not have that in Skyward Sword. Its main themes have already been revealed.

That is where I was coming from when I thought of this Topic. It will not be based off of night or day, so it won't matter.

L

linkfan

I don't think there would be a real time clock, it just doesn't work with the Zelda games. Plus you would have to wait until a certain time to do certain tasks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom