• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Thoughts on Link's New Ragdolling Function?

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
the physics of ragdolling is responsible for a bunch of fun jank but it lasts way too long, link would realistically be able to get up way sooner than he does
edit: like, without ragdolling I'm fairly certain we wouldn't get things like btb

Last edited:

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I understand that BotW is trying to have realistic physics, but a blade being swung at the implied velocity would be much more likely to lodge into your side than to send you flying twenty feet in the air. The game acts like swords are the same as clubs, which makes absolutely no sense. It's also seriously frustrating, when you want to get back into the action but Link is taking forever to drag himself up. Suck it up, Link! None of the other Links had this problem! It's also very frustrating when they knock you off a cliff and it's an insta kill because "ooo this huuurts can't pull my paraglider". It's stupid, frankly.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I think the ragdoll physics add a fun level of chaos to combat. It can be fun to see Link get swatted aside by a well-placed enemy strike, but it's also a lot of fun to take advantage of those same physics when it comes to toppling enemies over or knocking them off cliffs.

I understand that BotW is trying to have realistic physics, but a blade being swung at the implied velocity would be much more likely to lodge into your side than to send you flying twenty feet in the air. The game acts like swords are the same as clubs, which makes absolutely no sense. It's also seriously frustrating, when you want to get back into the action but Link is taking forever to drag himself up. Suck it up, Link! None of the other Links had this problem! It's also very frustrating when they knock you off a cliff and it's an insta kill because "ooo this huuurts can't pull my paraglider". It's stupid, frankly.

I mean, Zelda combat has never treated swords like swords. It's always been a largely bloodless affair where you and the other guy hit each other with dull swords until one of you falls down. Is Breath of the Wild so different?

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I guess I'd ask if reducing the ragdoll physics so that it plays more like straight up hitting each other with dull sticks like in the other games would be better.
in some ways, yeah
it'd be less frustrating since by definition ragdolling is pretty unresponsive
my point was that "all the other zeldas don't feel logical wrt this" isn't sound because botw is trying to be different from them with its physics
I don't know if I'd call anything about botw realistic, exactly, so that part doesn't really line up, but
yeah better to just focus on the shenanigans that ragdoll physics can enable

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom