• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Things the Fanbase Does That You Dislike.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
There a reason a few things to be honest, even though I consider the fanbase of Zelda to be slightly more mature and intellectual than other fanbases, there is still a lot that I dislike.

- I hate the fact that a lot of the time, preferring something or having an opinion isn't accepted in a lot of cases and some have to justify everything they state. What happened to just appreciating a game for what it is?

- I agree with Shadsie on her post about people thinking less of someone and their opinion just because what game they prefer etc. We all have our preferences and what is enjoyable for one may not be to another, it's that simple.

- How divided the fanbase actually is. If this forum has taught me one thing, it's that most fans are split on a lot of things, I can speak to some and agree with almost every point; however, that might not be the case with others. It's nice to have a wide array of opinions, but this leads to heated discussions, why can't we just accept the difference in opinions and come to a conclusion that we share an interest in the franchise as a whole?

- My last one would probably be the negativity surrounding a lot of people and discussions alike. I honestly love to talk about this series, as why I'm here, but I like to talk in a positive light. Time and time again though, a lot of topics lead to negativity - I know it's all for debate's sake but I miss talking about this franchise in a more positive way.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Oh, I also dislike the fanbase's general perception of guns and realism. They insist upon guns going away because it wouldn't be Zelda like, and yet we're getting FPS modes and other such things. Not to mention Zelda is already actiony enough where guns wouldn't do anything drastic; they're just another projectile weapon. Realism isn't bad at all; the fans just like Nintendo insist upon being different for the sake of different. I wager a slightly more realistic art style (think TP but more realistic and less stylized, but not *completely* real) would perform so much better than anything recently put out. But fans go "NOO IT WUD B LIEK TEH COD!!EON1 :mad:" and discussion goes nowhere on those topics. :/

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I just don't see the need for guns...it'd kinda...feel weird. Why not have a crossbow with gun-like controls?

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
4. Something more in general: When people whine a lot about one including something unorthodox in fanfiction / playing with unknowns in fanfiction / doing AU stuff. I actually don't get this a lot, but whenever I write Zelda fanfiction, I feel I have to disclaimer out the wazoo for the "nerd babies" that I know are just waiting in the wings to swoop down and nitpick everything. Sometimes, I PURPOSEFULLY screw with / go non-canon with the Timeline. YES, I think Zelda CAN be done with guns! Relax. I don't work for Nintendo. I enjoy playing with the fandom (within reason). Use some imagination.

This happened to me not long ago too. Someone was criticizing this utterly tiny detail that I changed in one of my fics just because it wasn't 100% faithful to the source material, not to mention it was already AU and meant to be a joke. It's really irritating when the only thing a person has to say about your writing is "You got that detail wrong."

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I'll say the same thing as last time, this fanbases' biggest problem is that many fans complain about the other fans, it's one of the most self-loathing fanbases.

To an extent, I agree with this. But I'd say my biggest pet peeve is how the fanbase uses fanbase stereotypes to justify their hatred.

Some examples include.

Older fans gawk too much over the older games. Games like OoT and ALttP are overrated

While it is true that some fans have a hard time appreciating the newer game, that does not mean the newer games are automatically better. The reason some fans praise the older games is simply because they believe them to be better than the newer ones. They are not necessarily blinded by fanboyism. It is also a matter of the time period. OoT and ALttP were considered phenominal for their time period and some fans simply don't feel newer games are meeting that "awe."

Fans will always complain about the newest game and praise the older one that they used to complain about.

Yes, some fans will complain no matter what. This does not mean a game is exempt from complaints nor does it mean a game does not have flaws.

Zelda fans nitpick about little details.

Yes, some people do. But again, this does not mean the flaw doesn't exist nor that it is forbidden to be asked to be corrected. Just because some don't care about the timeline, or the fact that TP Link is right-handed, doesn't mean the people who do care are wrong.

And the list goes on and on. Basically, yes we as a fanbase do a lot of things that some would consider annoying when it comes to our own game franchise, and sometimes the argument is indeed invalid because of the Zelda fan mentality, but I've seen fans used this as their basis argument way too many times when it isn't relevant. Even if the stereotype is true, that does not mean the Person's argument should automatically rejected.

It really urks me when a Person says "they do that because they're a Zelda fan" and try to end the argument there when at times, there's more to it than that. And often times, it's a Zelda fan doing it.

Salem

SICK
Did I mention how much I hate this topic? no offense dragoncat but I was speaking generally not this specific thread.
But I'd say my biggest pet peeve is how the fanbase uses fanbase stereotypes to justify their hatred.

Some examples include.

Older fans gawk too much over the older games. Games like OoT and ALttP are overrated

While it is true that some fans have a hard time appreciating the newer game, that does not mean the newer games are automatically better. The reason some fans praise the older games is simply because they believe them to be better than the newer ones. They are not necessarily blinded by fanboyism. It is also a matter of the time period. OoT and ALttP were considered phenominal for their time period and some fans simply don't feel newer games are meeting that "awe."

Fans will always complain about the newest game and praise the older one that they used to complain about.

Yes, some fans will complain no matter what. This does not mean a game is exempt from complaints nor does it mean a game does not have flaws.

Zelda fans nitpick about little details.

Yes, some people do. But again, this does not mean the flaw doesn't exist nor that it is forbidden to be asked to be corrected. Just because some don't care about the timeline, or the fact that TP Link is right-handed, doesn't mean the people who do care are wrong.

And the list goes on and on. Basically, yes we as a fanbase do a lot of things that some would consider annoying when it comes to our own game franchise, and sometimes the argument is indeed invalid because of the Zelda fan mentality, but I've seen fans used this as their basis argument way too many times when it isn't relevant. Even if the stereotype is true, that does not mean the Person's argument should automatically rejected.

It really urks me when a Person says "they do that because they're a Zelda fan" and try to end the argument there when at times, there's more to it than that. And often times, it's a Zelda fan doing it.
Exactly this. It's just that some people use the lamest of excuses to silence others because of their preferences, using petty words like "nostalgia blind", Sadly this happens in a LOT of fandoms.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Oh and...

10) People who get sensitive over opinions and feel the need to needlessly quote someone they disagree with and remind them that's just their opinion as if they didn't know. Even ending half of our sentences with IMO doesn't work.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
i hate how zelda fans glorify the games like its a ****ing god sent [especially on ocarina]
oh and just say 1 small negative remark about games,no matter how insignificant you think it may be,you'll have a ****ing mob of fanboys up on you

Did I mention how much I hate this topic?

why exactly do you hate it,you disagree w/ it or something?

Last edited:

OmenBlite

OmenBlite
Oh, ho, ho, where to start...

1. I despise when supposed "fans" of the series can't seem to have anything to say but endless criticism of the modern titles.

2. I equally despise it when fans criticise an aspect of a game as "lacking" in someway, when, in reality, they really just don't understand the complexity of the aspect, or just didn't bother to put in two seconds' worth of investigation to back their point (ex. Twilight Princess, Twilight Princess, and Twilight Princess).

3. When fans claim that Majora's Mask is "underrated."

4. When fans defend a certain game to no end.

5. When fans belittle or criticise other fans of the series.
...oops...

Sadly, with a franchise as diverse and evolving as Zelda, it's natural that the fanbase should be equally as diverse. It's really a shame, as Zelda should be commemorated by fans, not disputed over.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
2. I equally despise it when fans criticise an aspect of a game as "lacking" in someway, when, in reality, they really just don't understand the complexity of the aspect, or just didn't bother to put in two seconds' worth of investigation to back their point (ex. Twilight Princess, Twilight Princess, and Twilight Princess).

Pretty sure people have gone into extreme detail when regarding aspects that are "lacking" in Twilight Princess. People are entitled to opinions, but this particular snippet is one of the biggest cop-outs I've ever seen.

DarkestLink

I think he's talking about when fans say that a game (usually TP in this argument) lacks "something", but they can't name what this something is. Some will try to pass it off as charm, but usually it's some unnamed, unmeasurable source that we kinda need to take their word for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom