• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I'm excited to go on a field trip with my students tomorrow. It should be a lot of fun. I didn't get to go on any of the trips last year because my one-on-one's behavior made it too unsafe for him to go. But this year, he's mellowing out more, relatively speaking. I think he can handle it this time.
Turns out we didn't get to go today due to a very frustrating and avoidable snafu with the nurses. That sucks. We're trying to reschedule, but the kids were really upset about it. :(

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Uncorking a bottle of wine and letting it sit for 20-30 minutes to allow it to oxidize or "aerate," actually does nothing.

A more efficient process to aerate or oxidize a wine is to decant it, which is just a fancy way of saying of pouring the wine from one vessel to another.

.... Or you could simply pour a glass, and drink it, swirling it from time to time to accomplish the same damn thing.

I prefer the last option. No need to get fancy or overthink this.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
I've heard this term, wondered what it meant, apparently it really does mean just that. What's the history there, do you know?
Well, according to the etymology, it's Greek and Latin in origin, and it originally meant the angular lip of a beaker, the tip where you pour from.

It became relevant to wine through their historical use as containers with an edge that can pour.

This was apparently before we got all fancy and used glass wine bottles.

There is some truth in decanting wine, and letting it open up, namely to tame the tannins in the wine, but, just uncorking a new bottle and letting it sit for 30 minutes isn't really doing much.

Decanting whisky is a bit.... divisive. Whisky isn't wine, and hard liquor doesn't benefit much from decanting, so I'm of the opinion that the bottle it came in is good enough.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
are male witches warlocks or sorcerers or magi or what??? no on can be sure!? and they all say different things....

Last edited:

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
are male witches warlocks or sorcerers or magi or what??? no on can be sure!? and they all say different things....
According to DND mechanics, here's how it breaks down.

Sorcerers = Magic comes naturally, they were born with it.
Warlocks = Their magic comes from dealing with demons and performing rituals.
Wizards = They gained their magic through years of study and knowledge gleaned from books.

A mage is simply someone that can use magic powers, regardless of where they got it.

To answer the question, a male witch can just be called a wizard for the most part.

^_^

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
According to DND mechanics, here's how it breaks down.

Sorcerers = Magic comes naturally, they were born with it.
Warlocks = Their magic comes from dealing with demons and performing rituals.
Wizards = They gained their magic through years of study and knowledge gleaned from books.

A mage is simply someone that can use magic powers, regardless of where they got it.

To answer the question, a male witch can just be called a wizard.

^_^
Traditionally, I think witches get their magic from the devil specifically, or in some cases from nature itself so wouldn’t that make one a warlock/druid?

They also like chanting poetry a lot, so maybe Bard?

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Traditionally, I think witches get their magic from the devil specifically, or in some cases from nature itself so wouldn’t that make one a warlock/druid?

The also like chanting poetry a lot, so maybe Bard?
I guess we can expand this a little.

Bard = Power comes from poetry and music.
Paladin = God wills it.
Cleric = Power comes from senpai God.
Warlock = Power comes from demons and rituals.
Wizard = Knowledge is power.
Sorcerer = I dunno, I was just born with it.
Druid = Nature is power.
Artificer = My power comes from engineering and physics.

:P

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
I domt follow DnD??
Let's just go with the historical definitions of the terms, then.

Basically, a mage is any magic user, male or female.

A witch is any practitioner of witchcraft, which is the use of magic to harm others or bring them misfortune.

A wizard is any practitioner of magic.

A sorcerer is any practitioner of magic that derives from the occult or supernatural forces.

A warlock is specifically a male practitioner of witchcraft.

These terms have then been repurposed for use in fantasy, and the generally accepted ideas are that sorcerers have innate magic due to their bloodline, wizards have magic due to study and practice, and a warlock has magic given to them by brokering a deal or a bargain with a higher power.

In fantasy, a mage is just a magic user in general.

So, there's a lot of overlap, as what happens with language, because languages evolve, and no language is absolutely perfect and logically consistent for this very reason.

I hope this gives some clarity.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
Sorcerer = I dunno, I was just born with it.
Rogue: “hey, how are you doing that?”
Sorcerer: “Doing what?”
Rogue: “that thing with your hands and the fire.”
Sorcerer: “are… are you not able to do this?”
Fighter: “No!?!”
Sorcerer: “…weird.”

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Rogue: “hey, how are you doing that?”
Sorcerer: “Doing what?”
Rogue: “that thing with your hands and the fire.”
Sorcerer: “are… are you not able to do this?”
Fighter: “No!?!”
Sorcerer: “…weird.”
Rogue: "Hey, how are you doing that?"
Wizard: "Well you see I have to draw this particular symbol, while I'm wearing this specific ring while I concentrate....
Rogue: *eyes glaze over*

thePlinko

ZD Legend
Rogue: "Hey, how are you doing that?"
Wizard: "Well you see I have to draw this particular symbol, while I'm wearing this specific ring while I concentrate....
Rogue: *eyes glaze over*
Fighter: “Wait how are you healing me”
Bard:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Top Bottom