• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
The worst speakers I've heard for metal so far are Peavey Scheffields, which were in the Peavey 4x12 cabinets that were sold alongside the venerable Peavey 5150 amp.

In short, the amp sounds great, it's awesome, and Peavey still sells a modern version of it in the 6505 and 6505+, and according to the guy that designed the circuit of the original, it's the same amp.

But the Peavey 4x12 cabinets sold alongside them? The cabinets themselves aren't bad, but the speakers, the Scheffields absolutely sucked. It's like there's no deep resonance or punch, it's just fizz.

And I can't really blame Eddie Van Halen for this, as he has a good ear for music, tone, and gear, hell, the EVH brand sells excellent sounding stuff. The real blame lies with Peavey.

There's a reason a lot of us call the Scheffields the Sh*tfields. Besides, if you want speakers with Eddie's name and branding on them, Celestion makes G12H EVH, which is basically a hot-rodded Celestion Greenback that Eddie used in his original cabinets. Now those sound great, and I have recommended them before.

Second day in a row of Wild **** happening in my world. Apparently, not long after I'd left for work, a tree fell in our back yard. It came up just short of our house, but the branches fell close enough to shatter the glass on our back door and smush our bar table and grill. Amazingly, other than some bent gutters there was no exterior damage other than that. But man. We got extremely lucky the propane tank on the grill wasn't hit when it got damaged. I could have very possibly come home to discover half the house gone, along with my mother and grandmother who were inside at the time...
Ho Lee Shmokes Az! I hope what little repairs are needed aren't expensive. As for the tree landing the way it did, Hylia was def looking out for you and yours!

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Lately I've been browsing apartments and homes for sale around Sydney and it is pretty distressing to see the prices in the market. It seems impossible to purchase anything reasonably close to the city (within an hour from the city center by public transport) without having two people both on high incomes and/or help from wealthy parents. I'm sure I'll be able to get something eventually on my current trajectory but it's a hard slog to get there.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
A couple of men's fashion and style hacks.

The Five Suit Rule:

You need to own five suits, black, navy blue, gray, brown, and tan. Once you have those five suits, get two white shirts, two cream colored shirts, and two powder blue shirts. Once you have all that, get two color dress shoes, black and brown.

Now, having the suit tailored to you is a necessity, and frankly non-negotiable, so be pretty chummy with your tailor.

But once it's all done, it's worth it because with those 5 suits and 6 shirts, you can make 75 different outfits, as every last one of those shirts, go with every last one of the suits. Every last one of the pants go with every last one of those jackets, and the dress shoes go with all of them, so it's impossible to not look good.

Of the five, if buying your first suit, navy blue is what you want. It will be the most versatile suit you'll buy. Great for business, formal occasions, dresses up or down nicely, and it pairs with almost every shirt and tie combination. Black tends to be very formal, so maybe save it for more formal occasions. Tan is the most casual, so it's the easiest to dress down. Gray is a great all arounder. And brown is great for adding a more sophisticated look, especially when you get the shade of brown just right and the fit is immaculate.

Snip the Vent Thread:

Suits have a vent thread that prevents the garment from getting wrinkled while it ships to a store or stays on a rack for an extended period of time.

When you get your new suit or skirt, you'll find a pretty weak little stitching that can be easily removed with the fingers, or snipped off. It's supposed to be snipped off so the suit jacket falls on your body in just the right way that the tailor accounted for.

It doesn't matter if the jacket is double or single vented, snip that vent thread and instantly it'll look better and feel better.

The Pant Hack:

When deciding if a pair of pants will fit you, here's a handy trick.

The distance from your elbow to your fist is roughly equivalent to the size of your waist. So if you want a quick way to tell if a pair of pants will fit, see if you can fit your forearm in the waistband, and leave the changing room line for the suckers.

The Shirt Hack:

When buying a new shirt, don't just admire yourself how you look in the shirt while standing up, take a moment and sit down. Your stomach naturally bulges out a bit when sitting down, and if the shirt looks good and feels good while you're sitting down, and while standing up, you've made the right choice.

Beard Grooming:

When your beard grows in, it's best to define the borders by cleaning up the lines and sideburns. It makes it less annoying, and looks better. Also, hairdryers are great for beards, especially if yours, like mine, tends to grow naturally in pretty gnarly ways. When you get out of the shower, towel dry your beard and oil it just as you normally would. Then, get your round brush and hairdryer and brush your beard out away from your face, and down, while applying heat with your hairdryer.

Once you complete one side, lock it in place with cool air, then do the front, and the other side the same way.

This will give texture and fullness to your beard.

Save Clothes Shopping for Later:

By this, I mean go shopping for clothes in the afternoon, when you've had breakfast and lunch. Weird as it sounds, your body expands a bit when you've eaten and are properly hydrated, therefore, shopping in the afternoon is more accurate when you're shopping for clothes that'll fit.

The Lazy Dryer Hack:

Are you just too lazy to iron your dress shirts properly?

Take a damp washcloth, throw it in the dryer along with your shirt, and let the dryer run for about 10 minutes. When the dryer heats up, the steam from the washcloth will relax the fibers in the shirt, removing a lot of the stubborn wrinkles. After that, hang it up.

Running late? Just iron the cuffs of the shirt, the front of the shirt, and the collar. Assuming you have to wear a suit for work, nobody will see that you didn't iron the back of your shirt, and your body heat will help to remove some wrinkles too.

If you have a wool or cashmere sweater, throw it in the dryer with two dryer sheets keeping the heat of the dryer low. This will freshen them up. Works for pants and shirts too.

And now you too can create the dreaded "Chair" where you put clothes that are too clean for the dirty laundry, but not clean enough to be with the clean clothes. Welcome to: the Chair!

Last edited:

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
A couple of men's fashion and style hacks.

The Five Suit Rule:

You need to own five suits, black, navy blue, gray, brown, and tan. Once you have those five suits, get two white shirts, two cream colored shirts, and two powder blue shirts. Once you have all that, get two color dress shoes, black and brown.

Now, having the suit tailored to you is a necessity, and frankly non-negotiable, so be pretty chummy with your tailor.

But once it's all done, it's worth it because with those 5 suits and 6 shirts, you can make 75 different outfits, as every last one of those shirts, go with every last one of the suits. Every last one of the pants go with every last one of those jackets, and the dress shoes go with all of them, so it's impossible to not look good.

Of the five, if buying your first suit, navy blue is what you want. It will be the most versatile suit you'll buy. Great for business, formal occasions, dresses up or down nicely, and it pairs with almost every shirt and tie combination. Black tends to be very formal, so maybe save it for more formal occasions. Tan is the most casual, so it's the easiest to dress down. Gray is a great all arounder. And brown is great for adding a more sophisticated look, especially when you get the shade of brown just right and the fit is immaculate.

Snip the Vent Thread:

Suits have a vent thread that prevents the garment from getting wrinkled while it ships to a store or stays on a rack for an extended period of time.

When you get your new suit or skirt, you'll find a pretty weak little stitching that can be easily removed with the fingers, or snipped off. It's supposed to be snipped off so the suit jacket falls on your body in just the right way that the tailor accounted for.

It doesn't matter if the jacket is double or single vented, snip that vent thread and instantly it'll look better and feel better.

The Pant Hack:

When deciding if a pair of pants will fit you, here's a handy trick.

The distance from your elbow to your fist is roughly equivalent to the size of your waist. So if you want a quick way to tell if a pair of pants will fit, see if you can fit your forearm in the waistband, and leave the changing room line for the suckers.

The Shirt Hack:

When buying a new shirt, don't just admire yourself how you look in the shirt while standing up, take a moment and sit down. Your stomach naturally bulges out a bit when sitting down, and if the shirt looks good and feels good while you're sitting down, and while standing up, you've made the right choice.

Beard Grooming:

When your beard grows in, it's best to define the borders by cleaning up the lines and sideburns. It makes it less annoying, and looks better. Also, hairdryers are great for beards, especially if yours, like mine, tends to grow naturally in pretty gnarly ways. When you get out of the shower, towel dry your beard and oil it just as you normally would. Then, get your round brush and hairdryer and brush your beard out away from your face, and down, while applying heat with your hairdryer.

Once you complete one side, lock it in place with cool air, then do the front, and the other side the same way.

This will give texture and fullness to your beard.

Save Clothes Shopping for Later:

By this, I mean go shopping for clothes in the afternoon, when you've had breakfast and lunch. Weird as it sounds, your body expands a bit when you've eaten and are properly hydrated, therefore, shopping in the afternoon is more accurate when you're shopping for clothes that'll fit.

The Lazy Dryer Hack:

Are you just too lazy to iron your dress shirts properly?

Take a damp washcloth, throw it in the dryer along with your shirt, and let the dryer run for about 10 minutes. When the dryer heats up, the steam from the washcloth will relax the fibers in the shirt, removing a lot of the stubborn wrinkles. After that, hang it up.

Running late? Just iron the cuffs of the shirt, the front of the shirt, and the collar. Assuming you have to wear a suit for work, nobody will see that you didn't iron the back of your shirt, and your body heat will help to remove some wrinkles too.

If you have a wool or cashmere sweater, throw it in the dryer with two dryer sheets keeping the heat of the dryer low. This will freshen them up. Works for pants and shirts too.

And now you too can create the dreaded "Chair" where you put clothes that are too clean for the dirty laundry, but not clean enough to be with the clean clothes. Welcome to: the Chair!
Ok but hear me out: jeans, cowboy boots, a plaid shirt and a sport coat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom