• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler The World Ends With You/It's A Wonderful World. Yeah. That Game. *nods*

TheWakerofWinds

Beat Minish Cap *___*
So, have you played it? Didja like it? I did. What's your thoughts?

My Opinion (Warning, lots of fangirling and general ramblings on ahead... Oh and Spoilers!!) :

Now, I LOVE ARPGs, but this game just BLEW ME AWAY. The storyline is very complex, honestly... I doubt anyone could make it up.
(General Game/Story stuff here. Personal Opinion Not. If you know the basics already, Skip. Also uber amount of spoilers.)
So, Neku Sakuraba, an anti-social emotionally unstable teen lands smack down in the middle of Shibuya, one of Tokyo's shopping districts. When he looks at his hand, he sees a timer right on his hand, with the huge TV screen saying 'YOU HAVE SEVEN DAYS'. It is revealed that Neku is dead, and so is everyone else he alone he can see. However, he can see the people alive, on the 'Real Ground'. Neku is in a game where you have to complete the seven days in order to earn a second chance at life. Neku is in the 'Under Ground' or the UG, where the game is played. At the Scramble Crossing, (where Neku lands when he first enters the game) Neku gets attacked by 'Noise', physical beings composed of people's negative emotion. He flees from them, as he cannot fight them. Neku runs to an area called 'statue of hachiko', where he is ambushed by more noise. There, he meets a girl called Shiki Misaki, who Neku has to partner up (this is called a 'pact') with in order to 'erase' (the substitute word for kill) the noise. It is revealed after this, that in order to play the game, you have to submit an 'entry fee' which is the most precious thing to that player. Neku's is, of course, HIS MEMORIES.
You (Neku) attack with Pins, which by doing certain gestures on the touchscreen (i.e slashing, rubbing, tapping ect) you can do things from raise icicles from the ground to summoning lighting. Your partner is on the upper screen during fights with the noise, who is usually on 'auto pilot' while you control Neku, but you can use the D-Pad to control them. You later get a Fusion Pin, which when you and your partner get have a good combo going (which is really a glowing puck going between you and your character in order to up damage) then you can do 'Finishing Moves' with them, with three different FMs for each character.
So Shiki and Neku have to do 'Missions' in order to advance through each day, whilst avoiding 'Reapers'. Reapers are the staff of the game, and their job is either to block places, and set requirements to open up the barrier. (called 'Support' Reapers) And then there are 'Harrier' Reapers, who's job is to erase as much Players to lessen the Player Pool. However, if they don't erase enough players, they too get erased. Harrier Reapers do not attack Players directly, they merely send Noise to attack and Erase the Players. At the end of each week there is a 'Game Master' to defeat, and then the winning players are judged to see whether they are worthy to be rebirthed. But, even if a team of players survives the seven days and beats the GM, if they are deemed 'weak' they are still erased. When you win a game, you get transferred into the 'white' room, where you get evaluated by the 'Conductor', and then either erased, resurrected, or in a special circumstance, play the game again. A Game Master is a Harrier Reaper chosen to almost 'rule' that game for a week, sending the Players missions to complete, and a Conductor is almost the Composer's Proxy, Telling the reapers what to do from the 'Composer's' Orders. Ah, and then the Composer. He, is the person who runs the game, and he is the only person who can bring people back to life. He does not appear in front of the Reapers though, he merely acts through the Conductor. Finally, there is the Producer, who watches over the game and make reports of it. He also patrols the game, making sure the Reapers and the Players are playing by the rules. The Producer cannot reveal his job to anyone, so no one knows who he really is besides the Composer.
Neku has to endure 3 weeks of the game (which is something unusual, as most games span in several weeks apart from each other.) and has a new partner each week. First he is partnered with Shiki, an up-beat optimistic girl who constantly tries to talk to Neku, but being the anti-social emo he is, he finds her annoying, but eventually warms up to her. Shiki even becomes his Entry Fee for the second week. Here, his second partner is Yoshiya Kiryu, or 'Joshua' as his parents like to call him. He's a arrogant, snotty boy, but he knows a lot about the game, which Joshua constantly teases Neku with information, dragging him around EVERYWHERE. Neku is again, irritated by Joshua, but puts up with it, determined to resurrect Shiki. Joshua seemly dies by an attack by the second game master, protecting Neku from the full blow (a 'level i flare') Finally, in the third and final week, at first, Neku is with no one, because his Entry Fee was every other player. But a character called Beat, who Neku had met with Shiki and became a Reaper, quits the reapers in order to make a pact with Neku. After enduring a week of the third game master's games and tricks, they go to Shibuya River, in order to de-throne the Conductor. After Defeating the third game master, Beat and Neku meet Shiki, who appears literally out of no where, and are ambushed by the Conductor, who mind controls Shiki into helping him defeat Neku and Beat. However, they defeat the Conductor, and free Shiki, where they set to defeat the Composer. But, the Conductor is still alive, and plans to brain wash Shibuya with the O-Pins that he had the players put on the people of the RG a couple of weeks ago. He offers Neku to be brainwashed, but he declines. Then, Joshua comes in, and the Conductor absorbs him and a Final Fight. Finally, the Conductor gets Erased, but not because of Neku defeating him.... no because of the timer on his hand, which goes down to 0, and the Conductor gets erased. At this point, Joshua reveals himself to be the Composer, and offers to play one last game with Neku. They both get a gun, and the shoot. Whoever survives becomes the Composer. Neku gets ready to shoot, but he cannot, saying how he can't kill a friend. So, Joshua shoots him. However, Neku does not die, but he is revived a long with Shiki and Beat, and they all meet eachother at Hachiko.
(end. Personal Opinion.. Now.)

OKAY, NOW THAT I GOT THAT ALL CLEARED UP, HERE'S MY OPINION OF THE GAME. (10$ says no one actually read that) I love the game, (as stated before ^_^"") and I love the characters. They're all funny in a unique way, and they are all relatable. It's just so amusing how each of Neku's partners interact with eachother, and how they all grow as people. (except for Joshua.... no I don't think he changed at all) Not to knock on Neku though, but it was REALLY funny how Joshua kept on picking on him and such, like in Another Day, where Shiki accuses them of being gay, Joshua just says 'Shut up and walk dear' XD WIN! And the storyline is just so DEEP OMG! And that TL;DR up there? That's just a summary! Like it's so huge, and even though I did spoil the ending... there's still ALOT to discover, so PLAY IT T_T Now I have to stop typing or I'm going to get Carpel Tunnel (which you can get from Typing) and I'll say more on this later! Bye Bye! ^_^

Edit: Okay I'm ready to gush on this more, so be prepared.

My favourite day by far (besides the final day, that was too epic) was Week 1 Day 6. There was some gooooodddddd errr... foreshadowing? for this day :D and I love to see Shiki's character develop. I think, as a girl, with A TON of older sisters, for me, Shiki was the most relate-able character. Because there are times where you feel extremely jealous of someone... and it almosts eats you up! And Shiki's Envy of her friend Eri really WAS eating her up, until she got over it on the last day. Although I wish we got to see what Shiki looked like, not just her body and a part of her face. Oh and if you're wondering, I support ShikixNeku, because she made him open up more out of all of his partners, and SHE WAS HIS ENTRY FEE FOR THE SECOND WEEK! That is some cold hard evidence for this pairing to happen. Although I don't particularity like Shiki's style of fighting, Joshua's being my favourite and Beat's last, i suppose she's okay.

Last edited:
TWEWY is nothing less than not only one of the greatest DS games I've played, but one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Everything about it was so..... fresh. The gameplay had never been done before, it's completely new and unique. It's sooooo much fun too; I love how you level up pins and buy new ones. Gameplay isn't the only fresh thing; the plot is completely original. No, orphans aren't saving the world. It's about a game, one that the players are forced into through death, and the only way to win is to beat the rest of the players and defeat a super-bad guy. Don't wan to give anymore away if anyone hasn't played it, which I strongly recommend you change.

It might sound silly, but this game also helped me on a personal level about a year ago when I played it for the first time. I was almost like the main character in the way that I just didn't like people. I was closed to the culture around me, because I saw myself as "superior" to not only the culture, but the people themselves. TWEWY helped me realize just how much I was missing with that mindset, and actually put me on the direction to change it.

But that's just my personal rant. It's still a AAA title without it. :P

Vibed

must read before he posts
Among the best on the DS, no doubt. Maybe among my top 10.

The plot was original, and interweaving in ways when you start unlocking some hidden stuff. I always found myself singing the tunes and still do. The gameplay was crazy and so different than anything I've played. The way you can level up your pins and chose your character's level for risk vs. reward was great too. All the little mechanics that help you in battle act different from other games too. Like with food you can eat 24 bites a day, then eat about 6 bites at a time whenever you want. After 24 real hours, this resets. One complaint is that after you've found a good set of moves you'll probably only upgrade your pins for more damaging versions of the same move. That's probably just my fault though.

Wholly original, must buy.

SORTA SPOILERS

What was the boss symbol at the end of "Another Day" doing there and why was Sanae Hanekoma looking at it? That's the only part of the plot I didn't get.

SORTA SPOILERS

Kybyrian

WOW you are awesome. That was the best post I have ever seen! I just have to express my opinion on that.

Now, as for The World End With You... how about I shorten that to TWEWY? I thought it was an absolutely amazing game. When I got it I played it nonstop. It was so fun, absolutely wonderful. I can't remember much the story of the game, seeing as how it has been so long since I've played it, but I really loved it. That's one thing I remember. It wasn't only really fun to play, but also more challenging than most games we are seeing anymore.

I can't remember a whole lot about it, but it is definitely a MUST BUY.

TheWakerofWinds

Beat Minish Cap *___*
WOW you are awesome. That was the best post I have ever seen! I just have to express my opinion on that.

Now, as for The World End With You... how about I shorten that to TWEWY? I thought it was an absolutely amazing game. When I got it I played it nonstop. It was so fun, absolutely wonderful. I can't remember much the story of the game, seeing as how it has been so long since I've played it, but I really loved it. That's one thing I remember. It wasn't only really fun to play, but also more challenging than most games we are seeing anymore.

I can't remember a whole lot about it, but it is definitely a MUST BUY.

Thank you ^_^

Mind you... I DID THAT BY MEMORY DX (except for the street names... and the spelling of the character's names xD. everything else is done by memory) I don't actually have the game anymore... My cousin broke it >.> I am so buying another copy

And I agree, it really is a must buy! Didja get all the secret reports? 8D I did! Secret ending was AWESOME

A

AbbySciuto

I need TL;DRs...It's too late for me too read all that.

*starts reading*

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
You are a very talkative person, aren't you?

I read your entire post... even though I haven't played the game. It sounds as though the story of the game would be very, very interesting, even though I know the basic outline of it already.

I'm curious, though... would you say that the game is very difficult, moderate, or easy? Can I save regularly, and reload if something bad happens, or do I have to start over from a long way back if I fail? I wouldn't want to play a game that I could never win, no matter how good it is. It would be very frustrating.

I'm curious, though... would you say that the game is very difficult, moderate, or easy? Can I save regularly, and reload if something bad happens, or do I have to start over from a long way back if I fail? I wouldn't want to play a game that I could never win, no matter how good it is. It would be very frustrating.

You get to decide. Anytime throughout the game, you can change the difficulty, which ranges from pathetically easy to so hard it'll make you cry. Even at level 100, I'm still finding it hard to defeat some of the bosses on Intense difficulty. You also get prizes at the end of battles which are determined by the difficulty level; easy difficult gives you rather mediocre prizes, while Intense can get you some super rare ones.

TheWakerofWinds

Beat Minish Cap *___*
You are a very talkative person, aren't you?

I read your entire post... even though I haven't played the game. It sounds as though the story of the game would be very, very interesting, even though I know the basic outline of it already.

Yes XD I am a talkative person :P

Post above Ninja'd me; you can change the difficulty any time you want, and there's a lot of things I forgot to mention: for example, instead of armor like chainmail and boots and armor and such, instead you wear beenies, hoodies, skirts and such. And you either get a stat boost (of 50%!) or a handicap, depending on what clothes you wear in what part of Shibuya you're in. So you'll be changing clothes a lot xD

Also@: Sorry for no TL;DR version, I can't exactly summarize that whole thing into one 4-8 sentence paragraph xD

Also2x xD: When you save and turn off the game, while you're away, the pins that you're wearing (yes pins will level up) will gain exp and your heath will go back up. :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom