• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Wii is Underrated

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Yeah, I'd say so. The lineup of amazing first-party titles makes up for any other issue I could face with the console. After all, my main factor for playing video games is to have fun, and I've spend damn near thousands of hours sucking up the content, probably the most of any console.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Was the Wii Successful? Yes Was it overall a great console? NO

Of course the Wii was groundbreaking in many ways it introduced the first fully utilised motion control console with compatible motion control games. The showing of Wii sports got many people exited, the fact that you could play tennis in your living room Ect. This idea alone made the Wii a huge seling point but it was Nintendo's advertising that made the console truly successful, instead of tageting some of us diehard Nintendo fans it went in the direction of the casual gamer :/

Introducing the console to a completely new market is what broke the Wii in my opinion! Now that Nintendo created this stereotypical image of the Wii it created a gimmick. A huge load of 3rd party games decided to jump on the bandwagon e.g Carnival Games *sighs* anyway this became a trend, there are so many cheap awful gimmicky games for the Wii and the fact that these games would appeal to the casual owner it became more popular. This filled the Wii's game libary with useless gimmicky games!

There are also a number of things that hindered the Wii, one was the controls in itself....A lot of popular and big 3rd party companies would have to go out thier way to come up with a new control scheme for the Wii this reduced the Wii's quality of 3rd party support and even if popular 3rd party companies would port over games to the Wii, they would usually be of much less quality than the 360/PS3 version. Another problem was the Wii's technical capabilities in terms of graphics and power. The Wii couldn't support HD graphics this really effected the comparison of how games looked compared to the 360/PS3 and it genrally just made the Wii look bad. There were some other problems including online support, memory storage, content, menu Ect.

Considering the lack of quality games on the Wii, there were a few true greats! Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy 1&2, Skyward Sword, Brawl, Okami, no more heroes....to name a few and these games were some of my favs of all time :) However the fact that I can only name 7 games that truely captured me this just isnt enough. The Wii was very successful so in a way its not underrated but I wouldn't call it a great console by any means! Lets just hope the Wii U can live up to expectation.

Deeds

no text
Wii was good for a couple of reasons, but I wouldn't say it's underrated in the slightest.
It was good because it had 1st party Nintendo games, the one's we've grown to love. It made the motion control debut, with revolutionary features that seemed endless at the time.
I think that the reason people find the Wii to be 'underrated', is the fact that it's disliked by most hardcore gamers. Of course, some PS360 guys will have enjoyed it, (Mario Kart etc.) But it's been stereotypically labeled as a kid's game console, not a hardcore game console. When a game console gets this label, it becomes trend to mock it and dislike it, just because everyone else does.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
[SARCASM]The Wii is underrated? I've never heard anything like that at all![/SARCASM]

I look at the Wii and all I see is garbage, garbage, shovelware, garbage, garbage, shovelware, garbage, RE4, Xenoblade Chronicles, Twilight Princess, garbage, garbage, shovelware, garbage...

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I never really got into the Wii's library until the beginning of 2012

I would say this has a huge impact on why you say the Wii is under-rated. Coming to it late when all of the games worth owning on the system have been released would make you think it was better than what it was, I imagine. Owning a Wii since 2006 was a totally different matter, however.

In 2006 I had Wii Sports, Red Steel and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Only Twilight Princess was worth the money. The next major must-have game (in my eyes) was Super Mario Galaxy which came out in 2007 along with Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. I also bought Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition in 2007, which was a port of the PS2 version. 2008 was the Wii's best year in my opinion, because three games worth buying were released: Battalion Wars 2, Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Kart Wii. 2009 had Super Mario Galaxy 2 and nothing else. 2010 had Donkey Kong Country Returns and nothing else. 2011 had The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and nothing else.

I owned many more games for my Wii, many more indeed. Problem was none of them were anything particularly special. Mario Strikers Charged, MySims, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Big Brain Academy, Wii Fit, Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and Super Paper Mario were hardly 'must-have' titles, most of them were complete turd (I'm looking at you, Sonic). So between 2009 and 2012, there were only 3 games released on Wii that appealed to me in any way. Now, that is obviously just me and I know other people will have had a bigger list than that but even the JRPGs every bangs on about all came at the end of the Wii's life-cycle so for the majority of time owning the system, you would have had very few compelling games. What's more, almost every single game worth owning came from Nintendo and not third-parties.

No one really took advantage of the Wiimote, not even Nintendo until Skyward Sword and the Wii's lack of power kept thrid-parties away from it. It's online showing was nothing short of abysmal and it just seemed like I was playing other consoles and never the Wii. I have got the most use out of it by playing GameCube games and that's sad.

I would say that the Wii is not under-rated, not even slightly. Aside form a handful of amazing first-party titles, the console was, for the most part (dare I say it about a beloved Nintendo product), a waste of money (:O)

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
What's more, almost every single game worth owning came from Nintendo and not third-parties.

The only time this wasn't the case was when Rare was giving us N64 titles.

No one really took advantage of the Wiimote, not even Nintendo until Skyward Sword and the Wii's lack of power kept thrid-parties away from it.

I thought it was the Wiimote keeping them away....

I think the wii got the attention it deserved no more no less, ihav over 300 games and most of them are the 'must have titles' and really im not impressed with many of them or any of them if im comparing them to other consoles and even previous ones. The Wii was a casual console designed for families and friends to have a jump around on the dancing games or a quiet night in with yourself playing a slow puzzl game or doing some kind of strange yoga on a very heavy board, it almost wasnt a gaming console really, i think who it was marketed at lapped it up and those who wanted some true games from nintendo were a little disappointed... it happened though and it isn't all bad, so i dont think it is underrated or overrated, i think it took what i gave.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
The Wii is the only console where you can play Doctor Who with a Sonic Screwdriver mote - I say that gives it a whole lot of points compared to other consoles :P

Austin

Austin
The only time this wasn't the case was when Rare was giving us N64 titles.
Konami, Capcom, Square and others from the NES/SNES era must have been my imagination. Before Nintendo alienated third-party developers with the Nintendo 64 there were quite a few of them producing excellent games.

Zelda_Ali_Baba

Why did the humans attack
My family is very grateful for a Wii. Some people like to play amazing games, but the other systems like the 3DS, XBOX, PS3, etc, are just too expensive for us to get. We were finally able to get a Wii and for us, the graphics and all that hub-bub about these games is the LEAST of our worries. We just enjoy playing the game! Now yes, sometimes you will come across a game that is such bad quality, you don't like playing it (Example: X-Men: Destiny...ugh). But for the most part, the games are awesome!

You have "Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn" which is the sequel to the GameCube game "Path of Radiance", and the beloved Skyward Sword, my brother just got a FPS game called "Goldeneye 007" and it is pretty good!

The Wii is awesome! It's great if you don't have anything else, at least. If people don't like it, they don't have to play it. If all a game is to them is the make of it instead of the FUN playing it, then they can go play on something else. There really is no need to bash on something when for some people, its all they can get! :)

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
Honestly I LOVE THE WII. I thought it had an amazing lineup of games, and I've really enjoyed what I've played on it. Then again... I've never owned anygame system other thenthe wii so my opinion might be biased. :)

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Konami, Capcom, Square and others from the NES/SNES era must have been my imagination. Before Nintendo alienated third-party developers with the Nintendo 64 there were quite a few of them producing excellent games.

Well...there were a lot of them. <.<

70-80% shovelware describes every game system ever made.
Exactly.

In all honesty, I don't think the Wii is underrated. Sure, the "hardcore" gamers all despised it, but I think it was pretty popular among the casual gamers group, which was what Nintendo was aiming for.

I loved the Wii, personally. I play it way more than my Xbox 360, even though I thought it would be the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom