• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Tetraforce Exists... In Termina

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
So, we all know that Hyrule is split into threes. Instead of listing them, I'll leave a link to an article by Djinn to explain it.
Obviously, it was a developer choice because of the Triforce.
However, Termina, which we visit in the timeframe, has fours. Four Giants. Four non-human races. Four main areas off the hub. Four boss mini-games in the moon. Four transformation masks. Four gossip stone caves in the field, each with four gossip stones inside. So obviously there was a choice to go with the four motif.
But wait. Wasn't Hyrule's three motif because of the Triforce? Could the four motif be because... Of the Tetraforce? After all, Termina is an alternate reality with some similarities. Could that beg wit version of the Triforce?
Anyways, that's a short theory. Hope you like it. Peace.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
However, Termina, which we visit in the timeframe, has fours. Four Giants.
I don't really get this argument, Twilight Princess has four Light Spirits, which serve a similar purpose to be Giants. I don't think that means anything.

Four non-human races.
Same with this point as well. In Skyward Sword there are five non-human races. There isn't really a correlation between the races and the Triforce.

Four main areas off the hub.
There are multiple games with more than three main areas off the main hub.

--

Ok so I see what you're saying. Majora's Mask clearly has a pattern of four, but that doesn't in any way mean there's a Tetraforce or 4th piece of the Triforce. I mean using that logic, because the Triforce exists, there would only be three races in every game, three guardians, three areas etcetera.

Another point is that if there was to be a a forth piece then Nintendo would have to rewrite the entire history if the series and completely retcon in an origin story that wouldn't make any sense.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Same with this point as well. In Skyward Sword there are five non-human races. There isn't really a correlation between the races and the Triforce.
Mostly I'm talking about in the OoT timeframe.

There are multiple games with more than three main areas off the main hub.
But the point is that there are four in this game, evenly spaced out at north, south, east and west.

using that logic, because the Triforce exists, there would only be three races in every game, three guardians, three areas etcetera.
I'm not saying that it's necessary to have threes. I'm just saying that there's a stylistic choice to have threes and fours in these two games. Do remember that they pretty much had the exact same teams working on them, being only a few years apart and all.

Another point is that if there was to be a a forth piece then Nintendo would have to rewrite the entire history if the series and completely retcon in an origin story that wouldn't make any sense.
Why would they? If the quadforce exists only in Termina, then they wouldn't have to, since it would only be changing Termina, which we have no background for anyways. We're keeping the Triforce in Hyrule, and just talking about a possibility for Termina.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Yeah but Termina is a parallel world, which means it did once exist as Hyrule. This would mean Termina has the same origin story as every other game. Plus there are Triforce symbols in Termina further suggesting this.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I'm not sure what to make of some of these threads. I don't think Aonuma or Miyamoto ever thought "hey, there's a tetraforce in Majora's mask" so really this can be thought of nothing but headcanon. I think they just wanted to make it unique.

But let's humour you a little bit. In OoX, you go to the lands of Labrynna and Holodrum. Far away from Hyrule, these places are still governed by the Triforce. As is Lorule, a completely different dimension. New Hyrule in Spirit Tracks, too, follows these rules. While the Godesses only created Hyrule, the Triforce covers a lot more than just that. I'm going to guess it covers Termina, too.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I am gonna set fire to your theory a wee bit. The triforce has some existance in Termina as seen in Stone Tower when it all gets flipped. The Tetraforce DOES NOT EXIST. The name Triforce literally discounts it's existance, Also as far as i am away there are more than 5 races inhabiting Termina. Human, Goron, Deku, Zora, Gerudo, Fairy, Skull Kid. And seeing as that is not four races well there goes that. the thing about there being 4 other areas just corrolates to the you guessed it FOUR main compass directions. Point of fact there are 5 transformation masks if the Giants mask is including which is should be because it transforms Link into a giant. Also Tetraphobia is a thing which would kinda of tie in with the whole death thing going on in Termina. Not to mention the 4th area of Clock Town is in fact a realm of the dead.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
The triforce has some existance in Termina in the stone tower temple when it all gets flipped.
Yes, but the temple is also possibly blaspheming the Triforce. After all, the faces are licking it. Maybe someone from Termina went to Hyrule and became enraged at their belief in a three-force.

The Tetraforce DOES NOT EXIST. The name Triforce literally discounts it's existance
How so?

Also as far as i am away there are more than 5 races inhabiting Termina. Human, Goron, Deku, Zora, Gerudo, Fairy, Skull Kid. And seeing as that is not four races well there goes that.
First of all, I believe we only see the one skull kid. Second, there are only five fairies. Wouldn't think that's enough representation to call it a race. As for the Gerudo, I may have forgotten about them.

Also Tetraphobia is a thing which would kinda of tie in with the whole death thing going on in Termina. Not to mention the 4th area of Clock Town is in fact a realm of the dead.
I really don't like the Link is Dead theory...

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I'm not sure what to make of some of these threads. I don't think Aonuma or Miyamoto ever thought "hey, there's a tetraforce in Majora's mask" so really this can be thought of nothing but headcanon. I think they just wanted to make it unique.
This is probably true. But for ages the timeline theory was just head canon, and most people admit that Nintendo doesn't really care about it. They probably just made it to sell HH. The Tetraforce is such a big theory that I wouldn't be surprised if they bring it up eventually. And even if they didn't, then they haven't denied it.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Yes, but the temple is also possibly blaspheming the Triforce. After all, the faces are licking it. Maybe someone from Termina went to Hyrule and became enraged at their belief in a three-force.

How so?

To blaspheme is to acknowledge it exists as it is Stone Tower is just a giant spit in the eye to the gods.

First of all, I believe we only see the one skull kid. Second, there are only five fairies. Wouldn't think that's enough representation to call it a race. As for the Gerudo, I may have forgotten about them.

I really don't like the Link is Dead theory...

Dude there are not just five faries those five you talk of are the GREAT Fairies you forget the small ones that pop up everywhere and one creature is enough to constitute a race. If there was one White Rhino left in the world would you not say it's still a race.

TRI-force.... Kinda in the name TRI- Triangle that which has just 3 sides.

Also i wasn't refering to Link is Dead theory. When i speak of how tetraphobia the fear of the number four and how it corrolates in chinese for their word for death connect to Termina i refer to Ikana the fourth region of Termina which is a realm of the dead cursed to become undead. How the Gorons are freezing to death and Darmani died saving them How the gerudo's in all likelyhood die trying to breach Great Bay Mikau's death, The threat of death over the Monkey and the deku child dying. How the entirety of Termina is destroyed in 3 days time.

Also in regards to you ignoring how Termina is a seperate Realm the games Handbook even says it is as well as Nintendo. Your theory is just completely flawed. You have no true basis for everything. Don't pull a JJ

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
So you're just going to disregard the Triforce symbol? Parallel worlds don't meet, the sheer markings of it prove it exists, or did. Honestly of you're going to just ignore that then there's literally no point in continuing; you have to acknowledge clear flaws here.

Where's the proof?
Developers confirmed Termina is a parallel world and the rest of the proof is in the definition of a parallel world with the Triforce symbols confirming it even further.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Lol, I always thought of Termina as a mirror to Hyrule. It isn't exactly Hyrule, but look at it more or less as what Hyrule could have turned into had certain major events never happening. Let's say if the Goddesses never really had much influence... but exhisted. That could change things. Let's also say something like Demise using the Triforce to annhilate everything happened but somehow a few humans survived, that could change history drastically. It isn't like Termina is Hyrule literally, it is like Hyrule or rather it is what Hyrule would have been if it had gone a different historical route.

The Triforce probably once exhisted in Termina because we see it appear in a lot of places in Termina. Maybe it was destoryed or it's location forgotten but it's legend survived. Something similar happened in Wind Waker, Hyrule was flooded and the people who survived the flood forgot about it, but even legends of the Triforce and of the Hero of Time survived over many years.

Hylian.Smitty

Defender of SS
When Link turns into the Fierce Deity there is one upside down gold triangle on his armor. Could the Fierce Deity be the fourth Goddess/God? Perhaps it was banned to this parallel world of Termina because it was evil. This could explain why there is so much suffering in Termina.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
When Link turns into the Fierce Deity there is one upside down gold triangle on his armor. Could the Fierce Deity be the fourth Goddess/God? Perhaps it was banned to this parallel world of Termina because it was evil. This could explain why there is so much suffering in Termina.

Take a look at this:

I agree with you. I also believe he is the Moon God or the guardian that represents the moon. I actually made a rather detailed post about FD and Majora. The latter sections focus on Fierce Deity:

---

180px-Stone_Tower_Temple_Entrance.png
I've always thought of Majora being a demi god of sorts. Around Termina you have multiple symbols of which show the face of Majora - a big example being the Stone Tower Temple. This odd dungeon, when you entered, had what seems to be a section of Majora's face. As you can see from the picture to the right, it does bear some resemblance to the actual mask: you have the spikes (maybe horns) and you have the two eyes - with one being a switch.

Why exactly is the Stone Tower Temple a place of worship for Majora? We tend to associate Majora with all things dark -- the Stone Tower Temple is more so a light related dungeon. I think it's safe to assume this as within this dungeon your primary weapon is sunlight; Link uses his Mirror Shield to reflect sunlight and then goes on to utilise the famous Light Arrows. However, this seems contradictory, why would a place associated with sunlight worship something that dwelled within a moon? Majora, or the incarnation of it which is trapped within the mask, seems to reside within the moon. This baffled me whenever I tried to come up with an explanation on this theory, so I analysed the moon instead.

moon-stares-at-link-in-the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask_large.jpg
The moon is one of the main vocal points in the game and is a constant threat; however what if the moon isn't exactly evil? The moon was never meant to crash down, thus the impending doom was conjured up by non other than Majora. Majora controlled the moon, or in other words, hijacked it. The evil mask manipulated the moon so that it would crash down and destroy Termina for reasons we do not know (I'll speculate on this further down). Anyway I don't associate the moon with Majora nor do I associate it with evil. So what dwells within the inner chambers of the moon? Well it seems like a peaceful meadow and a tree that seems to bear much resemblance to the tree of life. Why would something so peaceful and serene be so destructive? Anyway, what am I getting at? Well if you look at the moon closely you can see that it's facd doesn't really look evil; it actually looks somewhat scared. It's facial expression seems similar to when someone "eeks", to phrase it. Now I looked into this further and does anyone remember the first day? You do a number of task and one of them is collecting the moon's tear. This made me think, maybe the moon is showing us that it doesn't want to crash down and destroy the land; it shows its displeasure and empathy by shedding a tear.

This is why I think all of this started, I think Majora wanted to destroy Termina not for the sake of destroying it, but instead to obliterate the moon. But why though? Well I would like to reference the Stone Tower Temple again--like I said previously--it's a light theme, well more so sunlight. I believe that this Temple worships the sun, but it also shows symbols of Majora - thus why I believe Majora is related to the sun and is in fact the sun god. I was thinking more about the concept of light (sunlight) and Majora as well. If you look at the colours of the mask, even inside the boss stage, it shows multiple colours; it's almost rainbow-like. The colours are actually related to the Visible Spectrum. These are colours that we can see with the naked eye due to a little thing called "sunlight".
em-visib.jpg
200px-MajoraMask.png

180px-Fierce_Deity_Link_3D.png
So with Majora being ths sun god, or goddess, what about Fierce Diety? Well I believe these masks are the antithesis of one another. We already know that FD is a god of sorts as it's in the name: Deity refers to a god or goddess. I believe FD is the moon god and thus the antithesis of Majora. If we relate this to the colour scheme, FD has a lot of bland colours: whites, greys, blacks. Black is the absence of all colour and white being the existence of all colours. Funnily enough, the moon is white an black. When it's not in sunlight it is absent from colour (black); however the reason we can see the moon is due to sunlight reflecting off the moon and back down to earth (white). To further prove FD's connection with the moon just take a look at his armour: you can clearly see the marl of a triangle and a crescent, which in mythology, represents a moon. (It's located on his chest plate, click the link for a clearer view).

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
I think I'll put these here:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...itter.com&utm_campaign=buffer&PostPageIndex=1

http://nintendoeverything.com/aonuma-talks-majoras-mask-majora-and-termina-name-origins-lots-more/

Aonuma: You know we described it as being a nearby land, but in feel, it’s almost like another dimension. Even though these characters have a similar appearance to the version of them that appeared in Ocarina, they express something different in a different world.

Here, Aonuma states that Termina is actually supposed to be a place that is nearby Hyrule. It just feels like another dimension cause it has connections to different worlds. That, and mostly because the Termina we see in MM does actually exist in alternate reality, most likely, a future parallel to WW's timeframe and TP's timeframe. But that doesn't mean it's Hyrule, cause it's not. Aonuma confirmed so.

Aonuma: As it means a place where people come and go, terminal became Termina.

Here, Aonuma further confirms that Termina is just a nearby country/kingdom/nation nearby Hyrule where people come and go. Heck, we even see Link the goron in MM. It's unknown whether he's the same Link the goron from OoT or a descendant of his. And the fact that he clearly seen coming from the east and not the North further confirms this. That said, that also confirms where Termina is, that it's west of Hyrule (where Link the goron is obviously coming from in MM).

I'll explain more later. Right now, I'm tired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom