• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Superior Pet

What type of pet is superior, for what reasons?

Until recently I had 3 pets. A dog, a cat, and a beta fish.

By far the cat is superior to the others.

Why might you ask? Cats can fend for themselves, they require you to earn their affection, and they have very distinct personalities, as opposed to dogs, who need you to meet their every need, they love you regardless of how you treat them, and while they have some personality its not really distinct from dog to dog.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I believe that cats are superior animals. There are the obvious reasons, such as cats being self-maintaining and not being as needy or messy in general.

Then, there are some less obvious reasons, and subjective reasons. I personally think that cats are more intelligent than dogs. Some say dogs are smarter than cats because they can do tricks, but that seems like poor logic... I notice cats are much better at figuring things out for themselves without training, which seems like true intelligence. I even saw a cat figure out how to open a door by turning a doorknob once, on its own... never saw a dog do that without training.

I also hate how dogs bark whenever someone approaches the door, and how they try to mess with people when they come in. I don't care much for the way they lick people, and sniff around with those huge noses of theirs. I'm actually pretty uncomfortable with dogs, to be honest with you.

For more reasons why cats are superior to dogs, read this:

http://www.psy-q.ch/lovecraft/html/catsdogs.htm

It's a wonderful essay written by a very intelligent man. :)

Oh, and as for fish? Well, fish are nice to have, but it's not the same as a dog or cat... all you do is feed them and look at them. In terms of maintenance, they're probably the easiest, though.

its everyones own preferance right?
i prefer cats to dogs, i mean cats dont always like other people (neither do dogs but still)
dont get me wrong tho i love cats but not as much as i love dogs
i mean dogs will respond to you alot easier and will always kinda "be there for you"
but i have always had a dog, i've had cats but not for long periods of time.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Although the cat is far superior in both intellectual and maintenence terms, I do not prefer them over dogs. Actually, I like them on an equal level.

For one, dogs will always stick by you, in times of danger and in everyday life. Some breeds are more intelligent than others, I can prove this myself, as my neighbour's dog opens their door to go outside and do its business. No training was required. It just knew that inside was not the place for its waste, so it learned to open the door.
Dogs are also more reliable, as cats have a tendancy to run out in the road and get killed/run away from home/abandon their owners because someone else is feeding them.

So, in terms of intelligence, the cat is more superior. In terms of trust and loyalty, the dog is more superior.

And @Athenian, not all dogs bark when someone approaches. Just some that are insecure with strangers/are trying to protect their master.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
This thread is so me. Our house is like a zoo. 3 cats, a dog, a lizard, loads of fish and stick insects.

The lizard is mine and I love taking care of her, feeding her bugs and getting her out to be handled. But, I love my cats, so cute, so crazy and so funny! :xd: I also love my dog, she is hyper, happy and cute.

I don't think there is a superior pet, just that they are different from each other and may suit different people's lifestyles and choices.

Lizard:
Great for someone who isn't really around much in the day, as they are nocturnal (I am talking about mine here, Leopard Gecko) and they are easy to take care of, handle and feed.

Cat:
Great for animal lovers who love cuddles and have more time to take care of a cat, each one has its own personality and likes. Cute, cuddly and oh so playful. They have their own little cat way which most people find adorable.

Dogs:
A mans best friend. Well, a girl too! Good for someone who has a closed garden and time at home too walk and groom the dog a lot. They also need lots of attention and food, different breeds need different amounts of exercise but they are great for the right people.

So it really depends on the person to which pet is superior. I love all mine equally :)

green goron

Best of the Gorons
Well I'm more of a cat then a dog person. I've only had one dog and seven cats but the one dog is more work than the seven cats. Dogs are too much work between walking and all of the chores but with a cat all you do is feed it and give it a place to sleep and they love you.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Why, I'm the most superior pet. :P

Nah, I'm kidding. Yet, I'd have to say that the cat would have to be the most superior pet. I must confess, they're a bit more intelligent than dogs. While both animals have good memory, I suspect that cats have higher memory abilities, but a tinier ability to hold the memories. Dogs do have their advantages, but they also have their disadvantages.

Cats just seem more loyal to me, more on your side. Whenever I get depressed, my cats come to comfort me and all that jazz. I've never owned a dog before, though, but from what I've been through, cats are also more quiet and would rather run than try to attack guests (not really attack, but you get my point). I also had a few fish. They are fun to have around, but it isn't like you can't really do anything with them; they're more like eye candy.

I personally think that both cats and dogs have their own unique advantages. I actually like both equally. I had a dog that just died last year. He was 14 years old, and I must say was an awesome little guy. He was one of the sweetest dogs I've personally encountered (compared to my relatives' pets). I've also had a lot of cats, and cats...well... cats are just awesome. There is not other way to describe it. Yeah, felines have more of a unique personality than dogs and generally, can be more fun.

Austin

Austin
I like dogs. They're adorable and they're usually quite friendly. It's true that cats are more intelligent and able to take care of themselves mostly on their own, but the trade-off is that they're usually quite cold and only friendly when its convenient for them. I'd most likely buy a pet for companionship, not for something to take care of itself while taking advantage of me. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom