• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Succession of Characters. The Coockoo Lady in Oot is Anju in Majora's Mask Ect.

Hierarch7

~The Wolf~
Hello forum,
Have you ever noticed that from ocarina of time, it seems like most to all of the characters have moved along with you in the series onto Termina in Majora's mask?

anju looks like the coockoo lady from Oot

the astrologist in the bomber's hideout is the mysterious old man in Oot?

Please leave interesting theories or comments below.

Austin

Austin
They reused the character models from Ocarina of Time. I've heard theories like the one above where Termina is actually a mirror of sorts for Hyrule, but for whatever reason I don't believe it. I will concede to the fact that Termina is most likely a parallel dimension in Hyrule, but that doesn't mean that if similar-looking characters appear, they must be the same people. Think about it, wouldn't Link be a little bit more freaked if he was meant to have seen alternate versions of Koume/Kotake (the people that threated to freeze and burn him alive)?

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
As Aonuma himself stated, Majora's Mask gives gamers more insight into some of Ocarina of Time's minor characters; we get a better look at them:

"
Nintendo Power Source: 'Tell us a bit about the parallel universe found in Majora's Mask.'
Eiji Aonuma:
'In this game, we wanted to give more insight into some of the minor characters found in Ocarina of Time. We're able to give gamers a better look at old characters, and develop new characters at the same time.'"

(SOURCE).

They are different people because they are in a parallel world (this can also be found in the Majora's Mask manual). However, being that they are parallel, they are bound to have parallel tendencies and traits.

An example of this is Malon/Cremia&Romani. In OoT, we already know that Malon is a hard working, responsible girl who makes up for her father's sloth. We also know she's a romantic, but we never see that side of her. In Majora's Mask, we learn a great deal about Cremia's tragic lovelife through the Wedding Mask quest and the tidbits of information that Romani tells Link. We see half of the characters in each game, so we are able to create a full identity for them.

Another example is Darmani, who you could see as Darunia's parallel. In OoT, we already know that Darunia is a family-oriented guy who is very responsible for his people, and despite his tough look, he's quite a friendly and upbeat character. We also come to find out that he leaves to fight off Volvagia and sadly never returns. In MM, we see this sacrificial and protective side much more fleshed out, as we meet Darmani's ghost and learn his heroic but unfortunate tale. Again, we see different sides of two characters, and we can come to the conclusion that they are both fun-loving guys (one loves to dance, one loves to race) who will put their lives on the line for the sake of their people (one went to fight a dragon, one went to fight a demon).

So, really, you can look at the model reuse for two reasons: it saved time and money, and it also allowed them to add character to the people in Hyrule by developing the people in Termina.

ALSO: There is undeniable proof that Termina is parallel. I magnified the text since the original image is so hard to read.

parallelworld.jpg

Last edited:
They reused the character models from Ocarina of Time. I've heard theories like the one above where Termina is actually a mirror of sorts for Hyrule, but for whatever reason I don't believe it. I will concede to the fact that Termina is most likely a parallel dimension in Hyrule, but that doesn't mean that if similar-looking characters appear, they must be the same people. Think about it, wouldn't Link be a little bit more freaked if he was meant to have seen alternate versions of Koume/Kotake (the people that threated to freeze and burn him alive)?
I agree, but I don't think its an alternate universe at all. But it is kind of weird that Koume and Kotake Have the same names as in Ocarina of Time. Maybe they moved to Termina because they did not want to wreak any more mischief and later they moved back to Hyrule.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I agree, but I don't think its an alternate universe at all. But it is kind of weird that Koume and Kotake Have the same names as in Ocarina of Time. Maybe they moved to Termina because they did not want to wreak any more mischief and later they moved back to Hyrule.
Couple problems with this theory. One, it is not a theory but a fact that this is an alternate dimension. And two, Koume and Kotake are both dead at the end of OoT and are seen floating up into a light. Unless they decided to move to Ikana Canyon or were reincarnated into this dimesion, they couldn't just move to Termina.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule

I edited my post with an image of the proof that it's a parallel world. A lot of characters carry the same names and designs in the games, but they're not all the same people. Anju in OoT, Anju in TMC, and the Cucco Lady are all different people. Din, Farore, and Nayru in OoX and TMC are different people, and in the entire Zelda Universe there are also goddesses with these names. There are lots of Links and Lots of Zeldas.

You can compare this to Final Fantasy, which does the same thing. There is usually a character named Cid, etc. etc. In Majora's Mask, the reasons for the repeat of character models has already been explained. The easiest way to understand the repeat of character names is just that it's a little token of the Zelda series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom