• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds The stamina meter is Marring the Bow. Problem?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Wait a moment. Have you actually tried ALBW out? If not, then back off with the criticisms and withhold your amazing judgment until you have done so. You do not understand even an inch's worth of the -possible- death this new Item Meter may contain, so why are you spewing negation and objection at every corner? Please, Ventus, do me a favor and mull over your thoughts for a good five minutes before you post them. Thanks.

I wasn't aware there were arguments against what we've seen of this "item meter" until I read this thread. I mean, this isn't intended as an attack, but it legitimate strikes me as odd that there would be concerns or complaints about it.

Certainly it means that A Link Between Worlds won't have you worrying about your stock of ammo, so inventory management really isn't going to be a factor in the game aside from perhaps bottle items -- and ideally that will be a big part of the game, perhaps like The Minish Cap? -- but, and this is coming from someone who loves inventory management in games, I don't think that's really a bad thing in and of itself. So long as the game doesn't strip off all depth and challenge, just this form of it, it's fine. Probably not as a main thing for the series moving forward, but at least for this one game. Experimentation in side games isn't bad.

And while this will remove inventory management of ammo and magic, what it will do is free up your use of all items while also limiting their use not by numbers you must collect but by time in a fight. Instead of conserving ammo, we will be conserving our actions and our time; the depleting meter, which is shared by all items and powers it seems, will limit our actions in battles. Our use of items will be unlimited in the broad sense, removing restocking concerns, but it will become a much more localized challenge. When and where to use items won't be about "Will I need this later?", but about "Will this do the most good for me right now? And will I be screwed while waiting for it to recharge?". Our item management will become action-based, with us planning out our actions in the heat of the moment, and managing a restocking resource, making it sort of like a real-time RPG where we wait for our turn to use our powerful items.

It's not an advancement from what the series has done in the past, and it's not better. But it's not a regression or worse, either. It's just a new way of doing things for one game, and I think it sounds like fun. Nintendo promised us a game with quicker combat, and this meter is totally in-line with that, and complements that direction quote nicely. If they follow through on it and balance the items and their costs out accordingly, that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom