• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Shift (Signup)

YES ANOTHER ONE. But I'm too stoked about this idea to let it go.

The experiment has been going on for years now. They won't say much to anyone, and the scientists never leave the facility. It's supposedly a fully harmless month-long period. But the volunteers who come, seeking a better life or perhaps just excitement, know better once their trial is done. They never come out the same way, and they never say a word about it. Some don't come out at all.

Yet the doors of the facility call to everyone, beckoning the bold souls and tantalizing the curious. Everyone knows about it, but nobody really knows anything. And everyone wants to know.

You couldn't resist it any longer. You have requested to join the experiment. The scientists accepted you, and you don't remember anything after that before the trials began. All you know is that you signed the contract.

The scientists make everyone who comes read a contract fully, that explains everything they will be put through, everything that could go wrong. You know of the contract, but not of what it said--they wiped your memory. All you know is that you decided that it would be safe, or at least they you would do it. You ahve no idea what to expect as you enter your trial.

There is one other aspect of the contract that they eradicated form your memory. They gave you a choice: You could be a Subject, one who follows the experiment as it was meant to go and gives the data that will be revealed to the general public. Or you could be a Rebel and attempt to break free of the system without a tangible goal, try to pry out its secrets and escape as a criminal to the lifeless AIs of the trial. As a Rebel, your life would be in constant danger and nobody could be trusted, their roles never revealed to you. The Subjects are protected--the Rebels are not. The contract warned that you might die as a Rebel--in fact, that it was more likely to fail than to succeed was explicitly stated.

Though you do not know it, you chose to be a Rebel.

Now you are trapped in a series of linked dimensions filled with impossible things--from a strange world of magic and classes, as if torn form Dungeons and Dragons, to a steam-powered realm of innovations and malice that seems influenced by the Victorian era, no dimension is the same. Just as you were told when you chose this path, you are an enemy of everyone. Your only hope is to find the other rebels hiding in the dimensions and hack the experimental system to find the escape route. If you don't quickly enough, the AI will kill you inevitably.

But you don't know any of that.

The Five Dimensions~

Phantasia Mundi: The Fantasy World. A place where mystic beasts roam the wilderness and a High Council presides over all. This is where the trials begin.
Scienta Ficta: Science Fiction. No flying saucers, exactly, but the technology in this dimensions is advanced beyond belief. It functions in eternal night. This is where the Database and the Tracking Center are located.
Mechanica Praeterium: Past Mechanical. At fa glance, it could be mistaken for a Victorian dimension, but the poverty as well as the mechanical aspects and clockwork are almost immediately noticeable.
Hodierna Infecta: A modern-day dimension plagued by a mysterious and seemingly incurable "disease". While the AIs will attack considerably less due to the attention required in keeping the infected alive, the disease is in fact a very real virus that can kill rebels with a single cell.
Memoria Praeteritorum: A seemingly blank expanse that draws on a person's memories and shapes itself around their past experiences, like a dream. This dimension is a well-kept secret of the Database, and can only be accessed by rebels late towards the end of the trial. The Fourth Wall is stationed here.

Signup:
[maximum of four characters, two or three preferred]

Name:

Appearance:
Clothing:modern clothing first, the things they wore when they entered the trial. If this varies dimension to dimension, please state this and either describe the changes in appearance here or do so when alternate dimensions are entered.]

Weapons: [one weapon per dimension. If the weapon varied dimension to dimension, please specify. There are no weapons in Memoria Praeteritorum]
Backstory:[fully optional]
Strengths:
Weaknesses:

My Characters:
Name: Aren Alpenlen
Appearance: Dirty blonde hair that's always a bit tousled, like he just woke up form a nap. His eyes are a stormy blue. He's white but not super-pale, and always wears glasses.
Clothing: He wears dark blue pants and a purple-blue jacket with a white-button down shirt on underneath, the sleeves of this shirt usually rolled up to his elbows. The jacket is always slightly unzipped. He also has a belt, and always takes his sketchbook everywhere.
Weapons: There is knife concealed behind his sketchbook in all dimensions, specifically for defense of said sketchbook.
In Phantasia Mundi, he has a slightly blue-tinged longsword. He has a rifle in both Scienta Ficta and Mechanica Praeterium, the former's firing a charged blue beam. He has no clue why he has it and doens't like it very much.
Backstory: Aren was a high-ranking officer in the military for several years, forced into it by his grandfather, who was his guardian in his youth. When the woman he loved died in battle, he left the military with scars that would never heal and went back to his old life as an artist. This time around, he was much more successful, able to live off what he earned with his skill alone, but he started running out of inspiration recently and is participating in the experiment for a change of pace and maybe some inspiration.
Strengths:Aren is very smart, like a human encyclopedia, and also very skilled with logic. He's also a very skilled artist, and pretty good at sword-fighting.
Weaknesses: He has a tendency to overlook things that are staring him in the face. This is especially true emotionally--he won't notice that you're angry until you slap him, and it's the same romantically. But he'll often overlook things in normal life as well. He has a tendency to swear profusely and fumble a lot when stressed or under pressure.

~~~

Name: Melica Arefaen
Appearance: Auburn-ish hair, like a cross between light brown and red. She has a curvy figure, pale skin and distinctive golden eyes, flecked emerald green.
Clothing: It varies dimension to dimension. As a general rule, she prefers lower necklines and more fitted clothing, and she always has knee-high black boots.

Weapons: In Phantasia Mundi: Two slightly curved swords, like dual cutlasses. In Scienta Ficta: A sleek black whip and a dagger she straps to her thigh. In Mechanica Praeterium:
Backstory: [I'm so glad I wrote all this down lol] Born the second daughter in her generation of a prestigious family, she was homeschooled by her mother for most of her youth. When she was sixteen, a lot of drama in quick succession--her older sister disowning herself, a random assassination attempt that supposedly took her youngest sister, and her mother's death by sickness and perhaps grief, broke her internally. At seventeen, she ran away form her home and her harsh father to find a new life. After several years of searching for that, she believes that the experiment is where she'll find it.
Strengths: She's a smooth, persuasive talker when she needs to be, and quick as well as graceful. Thanks to her mother's teachings, she has a lot of random skills that may or may not be useful, diplomacy and combat chief among them.
Weaknesses:
She's highly impulsive, to the point of getting herself hurt by going with her gut. While persuasion is a strong skill of hers, it's a rarely used course of action for her--she prefers to fight. Inside, her family drama has torn her up so much that, to hide her real self, she wears a metaphorical mask of attitude that could break with provocation.
~~~

Name: Lenyrin Arefaen
Appearance: Golden-blonde hair and big, gold-rimmed blue eyes--like the stereotype of a perfectly innocent child. She appears about fourteen even at her age, slim and petite. Her voice and her attitude are the only signs of her maturity.
Clothing: Her simple white dress never really changes, but in varying dimensions the wrapped bodice conceals various knives and in Mechanica Praeterium and Phantasi Mundi she has a black cloak edged with a golden design.
Weapons: Five silver knives with leaf-shaped blades that she prefers to throw, but she's just as capable using them in other ways. She has these knives in all dimensions where weaponry is permitted.
Backstory: The youngest sister of she and Melica's generation, she was too young to be taught too much. Somehow, her mother anticipated the skills she would need, but died when she was only seven. Lenyrin fled at the assassination attempt, but in order to hide her identity and conserve her life she was forced to take up that job herself. At the age of seven, Lenyrin became an assassin, and she always has been since. The authorities have yet to catch her and may never do so. But she decided that she'd had enough of killing people and joined the experiment, hoping to find a solution. She has no idea that her sister is in the same trial as her.
Strengths: Her aim is exceptional, as is her stealth, also thanks to her mother's training. She can also blend in with a crowd and us her innocent appearance as a disguise--who would blame a child? When she wants to, she can seem as young as twelve.
Weaknesses: Her youthful appearance can be as much a help as a hindrance, in that a younger person like who she seems to be has less privileges and priority. She also doens't have a very high morality, she can seem heartless and ruthless at times. She only wants what's best for herself in general, out of more survivor's instinct than selfishness. Like her sister's mask of attitude, she pretends to never care who lives or who dies, so long as she gets out, but this is not an attribute so easily lost as Melica's.

Title may be subject to change... irdk. Sorry for the length, even the basis of the story is pretty complex.

Last edited:

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
Dude... I know I have to sign up for this. The plot's almost going over my head, but I have to be in this. I think I'll just be 2 people. I'm still not used to being more than one.

OMG. I'mma use Fang and Luke. This is gonna rock.

Name: Clarisse Manning

Appearance: Tall, thin, muscular. Has long, thick, blue-black hair in a loose braid and blue eyes.
Clothing: Camo tank top, kahki shorts and brown combat boots. Only in the fantasy world will she change, and she will look like this:
Hylian_Monolith's drawing of Fang.jpg

Weapons: Hammers. Hammers, hammers, hammers. Anywhere possible, she will use a hammer, or a hammer-like object.
Backstory: ...I'll get back to you on this. Most likely.
Strengths: Extremely fit, so strong, agile, the like. Very stubborn and determined. Loyal to her friends.
Weaknesses: She's very act-now-think-later. Can't stand being considered stupid, and will react angrily and perhaps violently to anyone who thinks so.

~

Name: Luke O'Hare (That name... Oh my... I can't believe myself.)

Appearance: Thin and lanky. Has tousled, wavy honey-blonde hair that's long enough to get in his eyes, but not long enough to be considered girly and dark blue eyes.
Clothing: Blue flannel shirt unbuttoned over a white t-shirt, baggy jeans and white sneakers. In other worlds... I think I'll have to give that more thought.

Weapons: Lightsaber where it can be gotten away with, katana-ish sword in places it can't.
Backstory: Grew up by the beach, surfing his heart out, hardly seeing his family. Finally he decided that he was gonna get sick of that eventually, so he went to the facility to get a new experience for once. (that is as good as I'm gonna get, I think.)
Strengths: Is extremely kind, sweet, and likeable. Will do anything he can to cheer a 'bud' up.
Weaknesses: Is NOT the brightest bulb in the drawer. Has an intense phobia of hippies.

Last edited:

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
This sounds really awesome Mono, I'm in. :>

Name: Takaya
Appearance: dark blond hair in pony tail to just below the shoulder blades with brown streaks, hazel eyes, light skin, about five and a half feet tall
Clothing: Jeans, white thin sweater, red short sleeved shirt over sweater, sneakers (I'll post the looks when the dimension changes)
Weapons: None at first, but a sword in Phantasia Mundi, a gun (regular moderny gun like a pistol or revolver) in Scienta Ficta, a dagger in Mechanica Praeterium, and another gun in Hodierna Infecta
Backstory: Is Dantay's twin sister, fraternal obviously, and they stick together like glue. She decided to come and do this because Dantay was going to. They both left their parents to go do this, and mostly their relieved because their parents would often fight.
Strengths: Her quick mental and physical reflexes
Weaknesses: Her stubborn will to do whatever she thinks is the right thing although sometimes it may not be

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Name: Dantay
Appearance: Short dark hair that sort of looks blue in the sun that is a little spiky, red eyes, light skin, about two inches taller than Takaya
Clothing: Jeans, black thin sweater, white short sleeved shirt over sweater, sneakers (I'll change it when the dimension changes)
Weapons: None at first, but a sword in Phantasia Mundi, a gun (regular moderny gun like a pistol or revolver) in Scienta Ficta, a dagger in Mechanica Praeterium, and another gun in Hodierna Infecta (yeah, same as Takaya)
Backstory: Is Takaya's fraternal twin brother and they stick together like glue. He, being carefree, decided to come and do this to have something to do. They both left their parents to go do this, and mostly their relieved because their parents would often fight.
Strengths: His surprising cunning and smarts
Weaknesses: His careless and carefree way he goes about life

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Name: Kirana Alfendell
Appearance: Dark brown hair down to just above the waist in half ponytail, dark green eyes, light skin, about as tall as Dantay
Clothing: Jeans, grey t-shirt, sneakers (I'll just change this when the dimensions change)
Weapons: Bow and arrows in Phantasia Mundi, and a dagger everywhere else
Backstory: Moved out with her mom to a small apartment. Dropped out in school since high school, and she works to help pay the bills for her mom. Decided to do this and hopefully make a change in her life, and possibly make it easier for her mom at home so she doesn't have to worry.
Strengths: Her loyalty to those she trusts
Weaknesses: She distrusts everyone she meets until she gets to know them well enough

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
If I may make a suggestion, HyMo, that you can fully ignore... Aren? I like Aren. He's cool. You don't have to use him if you don't want to, though.

zeldaameture12

Vampire Overlord
Name: Silven

Appearance:hair: black eyes: yellow skin: tan
Clothing: modern: black hoodie combat boots red and black stripes pants. Clothes change shape and color through the dimensions and style.

Weapons: medium telekenisis
Backstory:
Strengths: trial telekenisis
Weaknesses: slow and brute

Last edited:
Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "whatever the dimension requires"? Also, telekinesis is permitted in Phantasia Mundi, Scienta Ficta, Mechanica Praeterium, and Memoria Praeteritorum, but not in the real world. Can you specify that this is an in-trial ability only, please?

Lastly... I really don't understand the backstory. Can you elaborate?

pkfroce

Skelepuns
Interesting... No. Screw interesting, this sounds freakin' amazing!

Name: Lucas Andres
Appearance: Average height for his age, kinda chubby however. Dark brown eyes. Black, messy hair. He's Asian.
Clothing: Black jeans with red t-shirt, black converse, and a black and red snapback hat with OBEY on it. (same as always... I need more variety. Meh. Next time.)
Weapons:
Phantasia Mundi) Sword and Shield
Scienta Ficta) Plasma gun(If allowed, if not, then just any old pistol will work.)
Mechanica Praeterium) Dual wields two daggers. Also uses fists.
Hodierna Infecta) Dual wields two pistols and has an AK-47 strapped to his back.
Backstory: He was raised in Japan with his parents. When he was 12, his family moved to Los Angeles, California where his parents were mugged and killed. Having nothing else to do, he joined the experiment.
Strengths: Courage, friendliness
Weaknesses: Too trusting of other people. Very gullible.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Oh. My. God. The description seemed so complex, but all I know is I have to be in this. It is my destiny!

Name: Azor Ahai(never thought I would want to use him again)

Appearance: Dark hair, a square face. Blue eyes, and around 5'5, 5'6
Clothing: A red hoodie, jeans, and sneakers.

Weapons: A sabre in all, except of course Memoria blablabla.....
Backstory: He grew up with his sister
Strengths: Quick acting and lacks any caution.
Weaknesses: Insane and doesn't know his limits.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Ellie Ahai

Appearance: http://rpggamer.org/uploaded_images/RiverTam08.jpg *Yeah, its River Tam, get over it.
Clothing: See image

Weapons: Carries a gun in both the victorian-ish one and space, a knife in the fantasy
Backstory: She grew up with her brother, of which she took care of him and vice versa. She kept him in check, and away from people who were much less patient with him (which were a lot of people). When Azor decided to agree to the expriments she knew she couldn't stop him.
Strengths: Much more practical than her brother, fast runner
Weaknesses: Can't handle herself very well without her brother.

*gasps* RIVER! <3 I GET THE INSANE NINJA GIRL IN MY RP! Uh, what? Just the appearance? okay... Yes, I'm a Browncoat.

PKFroce, Windmill, it looks good. You're in! Plasma guns check out in Scienta Ficta, yes.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Don't worry, even though River is mainly the appearance, her personality of being a ninja bad-a** might most likely shine through.

Don't worry, even though River is mainly the appearance, her personality of being a ninja bad-a** might most likely shine through.

Aw yeah! So epic. I love River.

And Simon.

And Malcolm.

And Inara.

And Wash.

And Kaylee.

And everyone on that show.

AND JOSS WHEDON!

Woooo plasma gun ftw. Can't wait for this to get started.

Haha. I know, right? I'm so proud of this idea, and I love to see positive feedback before it even begins.

When it comes to sci-fi, plasma guns are the name of the goram game. And I will be making Firefly references for the rest of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom