• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Same Temple of Time?

G

Gohma Arigoto

I've always been confused about the Temple of Time in TP. The Sacred Grove is quite a long way away from Castle Town, where the original ToT was located in OoT. Also, why in TP is the ToT an actual dungeon, whereas when the Hero of Time went there the dungeon part of it never reveled itself. Besides the creators of Zelda just adding this new aspect in, they should have some story or explanation to back it up! The only thing I can think of is that the dungeon was added after the events of OoT. This theory is puzzling because the "past" in TP looks much older than that time and what would be the reason be for adding it?

What do you guys think?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
A friend of mine says of the ToT in TP "I KNEW IT!" - She had a longstanding theory that the Temple of Time (OoT) had a false wall, an inner part concealed by magic. After all, it seems so much smaller than the other elemental temples in the game, which are dungeons.

As for its location, I think that it was either moved to the deep forest by magic/the Goddesses, or... the forest of TP is where the castle and Castle Town used to be - as in, Hyrule Castle moved to a new location (out to the plain) and in the hundreds of years between OoT and TP, nature took over... the forest overgrew the ruins. There's actually some hints to this, as I recall - there's the brickwork ruins all over the woods around the Temple of Time, hinting that there might have been a palace and/or town there.

G

Gohma Arigoto

A friend of mine says of the ToT in TP "I KNEW IT!" - She had a longstanding theory that the Temple of Time (OoT) had a false wall, an inner part concealed by magic. After all, it seems so much smaller than the other elemental temples in the game, which are dungeons.

As for its location, I think that it was either moved to the deep forest by magic/the Goddesses, or... the forest of TP is where the castle and Castle Town used to be - as in, Hyrule Castle moved to a new location (out to the plain) and in the hundreds of years between OoT and TP, nature took over... the forest overgrew the ruins. There's actually some hints to this, as I recall - there's the brickwork ruins all over the woods around the Temple of Time, hinting that there might have been a palace and/or town there.

The false wall thing could be a possibility. As for the location, Castle Town is right where it should be. The evidence to this is Lake Hylia, which, in both games, resides to the southwest of Castle Town. That means the ToT is in a different location... but how?

As for its location, ... the forest of TP is where the castle and Castle Town used to be - as in, Hyrule Castle moved to a new location (out to the plain) and in the hundreds of years between OoT and TP, nature took over... the forest overgrew the ruins.

This has always been what I thought. :)

Last edited:

Djinn

and Tonic
Remember the dungeon section of the Temple of Time we saw in TP was from centuries earlier. It could be that the large dungeon section fell into complete disrepair over the years and required closing off. Or fell into ruin by the time of OoT and was no longer there. Just as the entire temple was in ruin by TP. Also due to the number of mechanical devices and magic defenses found in the temple, the modern Hylians could have closed off the dungeon sections to the general public and was only accessible to certain people who worked and lived in the temple. Link would also be one of the general citizens the keepers of the temple would want to keep out of the more dangerous sections.

Last edited:

Ariel

Think for yourself.
I am actually if the opinion that the dungeon in Twilight Princess is in fact the "Temple Of Light". Yes, THE Temple of Light. The very same one that is located in the Sacred Realm where the Triforce is said to reside. I speculate this because it has some evidence to it but, like all theories, has flaws.

Firstly, it is an extension of the existing Temple Of Time, the entrance where the chanty "ee ee, ee ee ee etc." music plays. Since OoT, the Temple Of Light's entrance was said to be the Temple Of Time, with the Masted Sword as the key to it.

This happens in Twilight Princess. And after Link strikes the sword in the pedestal of time, stairs (made of Light!) appear, leading to the dungeon/temple. I can prove this because when you die (or quit) you respawn at that place after the stairs made of light. So, the Temple If Time is merely the entrance.

Secondly, the dungeon is absolutely saturated with symbols of light. At the very top where you fight the darknut, there is a massive symbol of light on the floor.

However, here are flaws: if Zant or Ganondorf could get to the Temple Of Light, why didn't they just grab the Triforce. The other issue, how could they even get in there, they need the Master Sword. And no one can touch the Master Sword unless your as benevolent as Link. I don't think the Temple constructed by the godesses would just idly let evil guys from entering whenever they felt like it but Link needed to get the Master Sword.

Simple answer could be: No one cares. Ends justify the means. Makes sense?

David

But you called me here...
However, here are flaws: if Zant or Ganondorf could get to the Temple Of Light, why didn't they just grab the Triforce. The other issue, how could they even get in there, they need the Master Sword. And no one can touch the Master Sword unless your as benevolent as Link. I don't think the Temple constructed by the godesses would just idly let evil guys from entering whenever they felt like it but Link needed to get the Master Sword.

Ganondorf made it to the "Temple of Light" in OoT after Link had opened the door and taken the Master Sword. That's how he got a hold of the Triforce, which then broke into the three different pieces. The enemies in the temple could be explained by earlier intrusions caused by villains, or by merely the fact that Ganondorf was able to enter the temple in OoT. Yes, there are inconsistent holes in this theory, but I feel that we are headed in the right direction. But, like any other theory, it can't be proved until we obtain enough evidence, or the game developers flat out tell us.

About the temple of time of OoT and TP, I wounder something

at the end of OoT, navi flys and "disappear" in the window of the temple, in TP, we go trought a window and that is a secret passage, well, is possible that it is related?

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I think that Hyrule Castle and Castle Town were abandoned along with the ToT, for unknown reasons, and built a new time and castle. The Sacred Grove is the remains of the ToT, but the dungeon part of it was a secret area, as it never showed itself in OoT, and had to be unlocked in a secret manner.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
As far as the explanation of the dungeon part I honestly believe that the dungeon part of the Temple of Tim either has been there forever just unenterable or its the Temple of Time counter-part in the Sacred Realm. I not quite sure either way.

On the note of the location I'm pretty sure it's been comfired that in the beta of OoT the Temple of Time was originaly going to be in the Lost woods where the forest temple was. I don't really have anything to verify this though.

My guess is to prevent ganon from getting into the sacred realm again, they built the dungeon in TP, or mabye it was there to begin with and we couldnt acess it. They probably moved the master sword too, so that ganon would go through all that trouble for nothing. The master sword changes places often so yeah.

Djinn

and Tonic
I am actually if the opinion that the dungeon in Twilight Princess is in fact the "Temple Of Light". Yes, THE Temple of Light. The very same one that is located in the Sacred Realm where the Triforce is said to reside. I speculate this because it has some evidence to it but, like all theories, has flaws.

Firstly, it is an extension of the existing Temple Of Time, the entrance where the chanty "ee ee, ee ee ee etc." music plays. Since OoT, the Temple Of Light's entrance was said to be the Temple Of Time, with the Masted Sword as the key to it.

This happens in Twilight Princess. And after Link strikes the sword in the pedestal of time, stairs (made of Light!) appear, leading to the dungeon/temple. I can prove this because when you die (or quit) you respawn at that place after the stairs made of light. So, the Temple If Time is merely the entrance.

Secondly, the dungeon is absolutely saturated with symbols of light. At the very top where you fight the darknut, there is a massive symbol of light on the floor.

An interesting theory however the temple is identified as the Temple of Time when you enter it. As well as the Old Hylian inscriptions found all over. The Door of Time has a Hylian inscription on it that says "Time Door." And it is stated that Link is in the Temple of time in the past.

An idea that I have though if is what if Castle Town was not so much abandoned and relocated north, but the Temple of Time was moved south for protection?

The sages of OoT knew of the events Ganondorf created and that he stole the Triforce. So it might be possible that after the events of OoT the sages or possibly the later sages of TP actually moved and hid the Temple of Time much farther away from Hyrule Castle and hid it deep in the Sacred Grove for it's protection and the protection of Hyrule. They might have learned a very harsh lesson in having the secret doorway to the Sacred Realm and the Triforce right there in the middle of town where anyone can enter easily enough if they only had the sacred stones. So the sages in their wisdom decided that the temple should be removed from the city they wish to protect and hid it.

So through some use of their magics, or praying to the gods, the temple was both relocated to the forest and even more hidden from plain sight. Any thief that ventured far enough into the woods searching for the triforce would have to get through the sacred grove and past the illusions of the skull kid that lives in the area. And even then all they would find is an old ruin. Opening the door to reveal the true temple in the past is only possible for someone who has drawn the master sword.

It is likely Ganondorf and Zant already holding the power of the Triforce were not fooled by these illusions and easily traveled through the door and corrupted the temple.

T Edoc

Made AluminiumMasterSword
Romani Ranch, Termina (Hopefully...*sigh*)
I think that Hyrule Castle and Castle Town were abandoned along with the ToT, for unknown reasons, and built a new time and castle.
I'm irremediably sure the temple was rebuilt in the south. And our common theory for that is...the Earthquake Theory.
(See here : http://www.zeldaeternity.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=93)

We thought of that too. Of course when you enter the temple itself, it says ''Temple of Time'', but who knows...

We should note that the first part - the one with the statues, time door, the sword and the original OoT song - is refered to be the 'Sacred Grove' in the english version (certainly refering to the name of the similar place in A Link to the Past.) But, there is a ''but'', the wall behind the statues says ''Sanctuary'', and in the french version of the game, the place is called ''Forest Sanctuary''.

Other interresting point, why do lots of people here say the Goddesses built the temple, I'm curious? :-D
All what I've heard/read is that the Sages built it (in Ocarina of Time) and the Ooccas built it (in Twilight Princess). Another proof it has been rebuilt? Because of the earthquake that created the large cracks all around the land?

...Or...were the Sages of the Oocca people, and not Hylian?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom