• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild The Sailcloth

We have now learned the sailcloth, first introduced in Skyward Sword, will be returning.

soioflcih2sxrs7wwrso.png

No concrete details about potential differences from SS were discussed.

Did you like the sailcloth as it was in Skyward Sword or what tweaks would you like to see made to it in Zelda Wii U?

The Omni Triforcer

Hero Of Time And Space
What if its the same one as in skyward sword and its called The Legendary Sailcloth or Ancient Sailcloth or something akin to that.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It seems like it's gonna function the same way the Deku Leaf in The Wind Waker did. I'm down with that. It'd certainly make cliff-jumping fun. I didn't see in the trailer if using it consumed magic or not, but it'd make sense for it to do that. It'd kinda be unfair to be able to sail for as long as you wanted. Either way, though, I think it's pretty cool. I've always wanted an item like the Deku Leaf to return.

Fig

The Altruist
Judging from the footage I have recently rewatched again, I don't think the Sailcloth would be using the magic meter that was shown underneath Link's health. This also makes sense that this is the Sailcloth from Skyward Sword (at least design-wise). To make it brief, I do believe that the Sailcloth will function similarly to the Deku Leaf in Wind Waker but without using the magic meter, which sorta makes sense seeing how it's simply a piece of cloth while the Deku Leaf had magical properties within it.

The Omni Triforcer

Hero Of Time And Space
Judging from the footage I have recently rewatched again, I don't think the Sailcloth would be using the magic meter that was shown underneath Link's health. This also makes sense that this is the Sailcloth from Skyward Sword (at least design-wise). To make it brief, I do believe that the Sailcloth will function similarly to the Deku Leaf in Wind Waker but without using the magic meter, which sorta makes sense seeing how it's simply a piece of cloth while the Deku Leaf had magical properties within it.
True but its gonna be awsome jumping off the highest cliff and just gliding down to the farthest point you can go to man i am so glad i just bought a wii u but i am scared for my wallet i still have to get smash wii u wind waker hd and majoras mask 3d and then zelda u thats 2 $60 1 $50 and 1 $40 game thats 210 dollers right there and i am only a junior in high school well i guess its time to get a job.

Djinn

and Tonic
If the sailcloth is a standard item in the early stages of the game, I am wondering just how much mountain climbing will be in this game. Will most of Hyrule look like that wide angle view we saw at the beginning, a huge mass of valleys and mountains everywhere? And if so then that makes me think of one thing, now the mountains are not the barriers they used to be. In every game before you could only walk the paths between all the tall mountains everywhere and they were dividers between all the various regions like the forest, Zora's Fountain, Gerudo Desert, etc. Now if this is true then you can actually roam and glide down to every spot with only the effort of getting up the mountain. All of a sudden all those impassable barriers that were so present in TP and OoT are not so much of a problem any longer.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
I am quite happy that the functionality of the deku leaf and the lore of the sail cloth are returning to some extent. One thing that has been worrying me about Z-Wii u is the fear that this game would not carry over and improve on the innovations of the latest 3D Zelda (AKA SS), but if we continue to see things like the sail cloth return then I will be happy.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
The overworld looks to have a lot of high points so I think it'll be a very useful item when going from place to place. With a world as big as the one demonstrated, anything to make traveling long distances easier is welcome. So I hope the sprint mechanic from Skyward Sword returns as well on top of the sailcloth and horseback riding. About the connection to Skyward Sword, while I think it's absurd for anyone to make connections based on one item, I do like the idea mentioned on GameXplain of this taking place directly after SS since the world seen has that sort of "untamed wild" vibe going on. I wouldn't actually mind if Nintendo turned SS into trilogy of sorts about the origins of Hyrule. The games wouldn't have to be numbered nor do they have to feature the same Link, just a strong connection between each game with Skyward Sword acting as the origin of everything as Ocarina of Time once did. That way we can see how the different races evolved, changed Hyrule, and made it their home. Maybe even see the birth of Ganon (though not literally, no one has to see that).

I'm wondering if Link receives it from Zelda like in Skyward Sword. Maybe he does something really good for her and gives it to him as a gift.
I just want the "And it smells good too..." bit when he gets it.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
To those who use the sailcloth to support a pre-SS timeline placement:

I always figured the sailcloth was a self-fulfilling prophecy, i.e. a predestination paradox. Zelda made it because of the story of the goddess making it for her chosen hero. Link is the chosen hero. Although Zelda gave it to him in the present, the story lived on in the past. So in recreating that story, she in fact initiated it. Therefore there was no prior sailcloth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom